HISTORY Question about the Hilaale Dynasty

Al Barqawi

Sultan Al Barbaria
Ive been doing a little research into somali historical Influence in South Eastern Indian ocean and I came across alot of differing views on the Hilaale Dynasty and specifically about its somali influence

Post in thread 'Somalis established a ruling dynasty in Maldive islands.' https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...dynasty-in-maldive-islands.40497/post-1072270

The link here is from a previous thread explaining the possibility of the Hilaale Dynasty being from somali descent however a particular Maldivian on reddit thinks other wise

I've posted the link to his answer, it's a long but if anybody is willing to give an unbiased properly documented review of both sources and give a proper conclusion I'd be most grateful

This is an incredibly interesting subject and very niche topic which I've had a passing interest on for quite a while

Agreed but he also claims Islam wasn't brought over to Maldives by Somalis which I'm not sure yet.
Yeah kinda disputed whether abu barakat yusuf al barbari (al tabarizi?) Was a somali, persian or a Moroccan (the least likely). Possibly a somali tho allahu a'lam. The thing which concerns me about his somalinimo is the man got a tomb in the Maldives while yusuf aw barkhadle (who they link the one who spread islam to Maldives with) got his tomb in somalia.
Might be just an empty shrine to honor him, but on that i couldn't obtain information.

am I stupid or is his entire proof for it not being linked to somalis "there is a mosque with the same name built a century ago that is attributed to AbdulAziz of Mogadishu" when either this could be a misattribution or just another guy named AbdulAziz no?

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
He is spot on, no Somali dynasty existed in the Maldives. Young men from medieval Mogadishu and Zayla did travel to far-flung places of the world like the Maldives, Bengal, Cairo, Malacca, and China etc to gain knowledge, proselytise Islam and to make a fortune as students, teachers and merchants, but they joined centuries old kingdoms and cities, and in these foreign lands were promoted through the ranks by local Sultans, be it Mamluk or any of the Indian Ocean island rulers.

The Maldivian brother in that Reddit post is basically dealing with the same history-heist Somalis periodically encounter from trolls when it comes to their own rich history, yet some of us don’t the see irony of doing it to someone else; classic cognitive dissonance.

He is spot on, no Somali dynasty existed in the Maldives. Young men from medieval Mogadishu and Zayla did travel to far-flung places of the world like the Maldives, Bengal, Cairo, Malacca, and China etc to gain knowledge, proselytise Islam and to make a fortune as students, teachers and merchants, but they joined centuries old kingdoms and cities, and in these foreign lands were promoted through the ranks by local Sultans, be it Mamluk or any of the Indian Ocean island rulers.

The Maldivian brother in that Reddit post is basically dealing with the same history-heist Somalis periodically encounter from trolls when it comes to their own rich history, yet some of us don’t the see irony of doing it to someone else; classic cognitive dissonance.
Interestingly, he made it a point that this hoteping actually harms Somali history due to some attributing the Abdul Aziz Mosque to a Somali in Maldives.

That's actually a good response and breakdown by him, several confusions he clarified.

Wiki authors just re-post secondary/third sources by modern writers, without looking at the primary. The fault lies not with Somalis on the web but by past historiography and that fragmentary information that circulates online.

I like the fact that he points out a glaring root of the problem is in not seeing the indian ocean communities as trade based societies built on exchanges and translocalism but through the lens of colonial settlerism which is probably why such an interpretation about Abdul-Aziz presence in Maldives was made in the first place.

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Yeah kinda disputed whether abu barakat yusuf al barbari (al tabarizi?) Was a somali, persian or a Moroccan (the least likely). Possibly a somali tho allahu a'lam. The thing which concerns me about his somalinimo is the man got a tomb in the Maldives while yusuf aw barkhadle (who they link the one who spread islam to Maldives with) got his tomb in somalia.
Might be just an empty shrine to honor him, but on that i couldn't obtain information.
He is persian, i already made a thread debunking he was somali or Moroccan

Al Barqawi

Sultan Al Barbaria
That's actually a good response and breakdown by him, several confusions he clarified.

Wiki authors just re-post secondary/third sources by modern writers, without looking at the primary. The fault lies not with Somalis on the web but by past historiography and that fragmentary information that circulates online.

I like the fact that he points out a glaring root of the problem is in not seeing the indian ocean communities as trade based societies built on exchanges and translocalism but through the lens of colonial settlerism which is probably why such an interpretation about Abdul-Aziz presence in Maldives was made in the first place.
I started the thread for factual Review of both sources and the steady breakdown of evidence I think it's too soon to jump to conclusions when we deny the complete existence of somali influence in The indian ocean trade

I started the thread for factual Review of both sources and the steady breakdown of evidence I think it's too soon to jump to conclusions when we deny the complete existence of somali influence in The indian ocean trade

Abdul-Aziz of Mogadishu was a Cheif of Kinolhas Island , there is no disputing that fact. The reddit guy's who's post you shared is not even denying it, but denying the hilale stuff which some wiki nonsense.

That reddit Maldives guy even says:
The Somalis and Maldivians had cross cultural trade relations and were central part of the greater Indian Ocean trade route,

Which is true, Somalis had important role in the shaping of Indian ocean trade and economy. Abdul-Aziz existence in the Maldives reflects the trans-local nature of the trade based Indian Ocean communities.

Trending

Latest posts