1978 Coup Attempt

1978 coupe.JPG

1978 coup.JPG

12 Officers, 2000 troops, 65 tanks.

I’m not biased but Abdullahi Yusuf would have probably been a more competent ruler than Siyad Barre had he overthrown him in the coup.

The guy who invaded Somalia alongside Ethiopia in 2007 and was fighting against the Somali state with Ethiopians in the 80s would not have been a competent ruler whatsoever.

The guy who invaded Somalia alongside Ethiopia in 2007 and was fighting against the Somali state with Ethiopians in the 80s would not have been a competent ruler whatsoever.
Somalia was already a disaster after 1991 and Abdullah Yusuf was basically dealing with a jungle in 2007 whereas Somalia in the late 70s was a stable country ruled by an absolute dictatorship, you can’t compare both situations. It would be a lot more difficult dealing with different clans who are all heavily armed to the teeth whereas in the 70s, the autocratic state was the only entity that had unrivalled power and the clans were not sufficiently armed as they are post-1991. I don’t love AY nor am I justifying his crimes, you can love or hate him but there’s no doubt he was a politically savvy politician despite fighting with the Ethiopians. Had he filled the power vacuum in the coup, Somalia would more likely not see the level of destruction we had seen in the civil war and after. AY was evil but you can basically say he was Somalia’s version of a mossad and he was not your typical low-IQ warlord.

Nin123

Hunted
VIP
Yeey the greatest Somali man alive he came and liberated muqadishu.
IMG_0547.jpeg

Trending

Latest posts