Adhd meds and parents dilemma! HELP!

I have problems focusing. If I go to a library to study even the sound of people turning their pages will distract me and I won’t get any work done. During the pandemic when my lectures were recorded, I never watched them because it would take me 3-5 hours to watch a single 1 hour lecture because I couldn’t focus and this ultimately had an effect on my grades. It takes me twice as long as others to write a simple paragraph, unless I am under stress like during an exam, I will get an adrenaline rush and pump out some good work. My mind constantly races, so I don’t get things done normally. For example, I’ll get up to make tea, but instead of finishing what I started, I’ll do something else like go to the bathroom, then come back and make my tea, or I’ll end up burning it because I got distracted. It seems like I do everything backwards even if I try. I get overwhelmed easily and I won’t know how to organize myself. If my mom asks me to help her clean for example, instead of cleaning like a normal person, I’ll raid all the cupboards, storage, etc. and put everything on the floor and cause a bigger mess which takes me longer than average to clean. My mom wanted me to help her with an application, it took me a month to finish because I couldn’t focus enough to think or write clearly. My parents don’t think I have adhd or that adhd is even a disease because when I was younger I was motivated and could study, clean and do tasks easily they say, but from what I remember I always had difficulties it’s just tasks were easier when I was younger ( ex. in highschool I never opened my textbooks because I couldn’t focus for long, but I still managed to get 100s because the work was easy but I got ruined trying that for Engineering in University…is this adhd or laziness and a habit I need to learn to fix). I got an adhd prescription behind my parents back because they are always skeptical about doctors. I talked to them about adhd, but they kept denying it, so I decided to go ahead and do it without their permission. I love my parents and I hate lying to them, but they hold negative opinions about medication. My mom thinks people are encouraged to take medication for everything and then they get stigmatized for it for life in the West, she said doctors in the West will write it in your record that you have a diagnosis, so people will be skeptical about your mental health for life. Ever since I’ve started taking the medication, my mind feels clear. I kind of feel like a robot but in a good way, my mind isn’t racing thinking about 100 different things at once. I have the energy to think carefully, so I am actually able to do meaningful things with my time instead of wasting it. I start a task, I work on it until it’s done, I don’t get up every 2 seconds or get distracted. Usually, I have to drink like 5 cups of coffee and my brain will still feel dead literally it doesn’t matter how much I eat or sleep, it feels like my brain/ body is off, so I can’t think properly and I feel like I waste energy trying to focus, but I don’t feel this on the medication, I feel alive I don’t know how to describe it. My mom is telling me she feels betrayed I did this without her permission, but she forgave me. However, she wants me to return the medication and never use it again. She says I don’t have adhd and I can fix myself through a better diet, exercise, etc. Now I’m back to having issues focusing at work because I’m not on the medication anymore. What should I do? Is my mom right, maybe I don’t have adhd and just lack discipline and I’m lazy? I wasn’t planning on staying medicated for life, just until I graduate then I would have the time and money to explore proper therapy and other options, but I have to finish my degree first and pass my classes to get to that point first. My mom thinks the medication doesn’t do anything for me it just gives me energy because I am lacking other things, is she right? Please help I don’t know what to do. Explaining to her is not an option she doesn’t listen nor is lying to her, I don’t like doing that. I want your honest opinions. Thank you!

I have problems focusing. If I go to a library to study even the sound of people turning their pages will distract me and I won’t get any work done. During the pandemic when my lectures were recorded, I never watched them because it would take me 3-5 hours to watch a single 1 hour lecture because I couldn’t focus and this ultimately had an effect on my grades. It takes me twice as long as others to write a simple paragraph, unless I am under stress like during an exam, I will get an adrenaline rush and pump out some good work. My mind constantly races, so I don’t get things done normally. For example, I’ll get up to make tea, but instead of finishing what I started, I’ll do something else like go to the bathroom, then come back and make my tea, or I’ll end up burning it because I got distracted. It seems like I do everything backwards even if I try. I get overwhelmed easily and I won’t know how to organize myself. If my mom asks me to help her clean for example, instead of cleaning like a normal person, I’ll raid all the cupboards, storage, etc. and put everything on the floor and cause a bigger mess which takes me longer than average to clean. My mom wanted me to help her with an application, it took me a month to finish because I couldn’t focus enough to think or write clearly. My parents don’t think I have adhd or that adhd is even a disease because when I was younger I was motivated and could study, clean and do tasks easily they say, but from what I remember I always had difficulties it’s just tasks were easier when I was younger ( ex. in highschool I never opened my textbooks because I couldn’t focus for long, but I still managed to get 100s because the work was easy but I got ruined trying that for Engineering in University…is this adhd or laziness and a habit I need to learn to fix). I got an adhd prescription behind my parents back because they are always skeptical about doctors. I talked to them about adhd, but they kept denying it, so I decided to go ahead and do it without their permission. I love my parents and I hate lying to them, but they hold negative opinions about medication. My mom thinks people are encouraged to take medication for everything and then they get stigmatized for it for life in the West, she said doctors in the West will write it in your record that you have a diagnosis, so people will be skeptical about your mental health for life. Ever since I’ve started taking the medication, my mind feels clear. I kind of feel like a robot but in a good way, my mind isn’t racing thinking about 100 different things at once. I have the energy to think carefully, so I am actually able to do meaningful things with my time instead of wasting it. I start a task, I work on it until it’s done, I don’t get up every 2 seconds or get distracted. Usually, I have to drink like 5 cups of coffee and my brain will still feel dead literally it doesn’t matter how much I eat or sleep, it feels like my brain/ body is off, so I can’t think properly and I feel like I waste energy trying to focus, but I don’t feel this on the medication, I feel alive I don’t know how to describe it. My mom is telling me she feels betrayed I did this without her permission, but she forgave me. However, she wants me to return the medication and never use it again. She says I don’t have adhd and I can fix myself through a better diet, exercise, etc. Now I’m back to having issues focusing at work because I’m not on the medication anymore. What should I do? Is my mom right, maybe I don’t have adhd and just lack discipline and I’m lazy? I wasn’t planning on staying medicated for life, just until I graduate then I would have the time and money to explore proper therapy and other options, but I have to finish my degree first and pass my classes to get to that point first. My mom thinks the medication doesn’t do anything for me it just gives me energy because I am lacking other things, is she right? Please help I don’t know what to do. Explaining to her is not an option she doesn’t listen nor is lying to her, I don’t like doing that. I want your honest opinions. Thank you!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I didn’t tell her lmfao she went in my room to clean without my permission then found then started crying saying we are one and I’m supposed to consult her before making these decisions. I kind of feel bad so I’m not sure what to do, she’s always in my business and I’m very chill as a kid I don’t lie or hide anything. Once I needed to get checked for a problem with my ovaries my mom started bullying the doctor for wanting to insert a camera inside me and also swab just to make sure there’s no tumour, and my mom got so mad at me for ever considering it…this is why I didn’t consult them or tell them before going to the adhd doctor so I was just asking for your guyses input

I didn’t tell her lmfao she went in my room to clean without my permission then found then started crying saying we are one and I’m supposed to consult her before making these decisions. I kind of feel bad so I’m not sure what to do, she’s always in my business and I’m very chill as a kid I don’t lie or hide anything. Once I needed to get checked for a problem with my ovaries my mom started bullying the doctor for wanting to insert a camera inside me and also swab just to make sure there’s no tumour, and my mom got so mad at me for ever considering it…this is why I didn’t consult them or tell them before going to the adhd doctor so I was just asking for your guyses input

Internet Nomad

✪͓̽W͓͓̽̽i͓͓̽̽n͓͓̽̽t͓͓̽̽e͓͓̽̽r͓̽ ͓̽A͓͓̽̽r͓͓̽̽c͓̽✪͓̽
You gotta build a boundary and tell your parents that you are finally old enough to make life decisions for yourself. Obviously take their opinion into account. However they need to know the decisive opinion is yours.

Many people get suffocated with overbearing care from their parents. It took me time for my parents to gain my trust for me to make life desicions.

yeah don’t worry i opted for a regular ultrasound but my mom was acting crazy in the doctor’s office telling the cadaan doctor she too eager to be feeing up my insides then she turned on me too💀😭 lady turned red
:chrisfreshhah: :chrisfreshhah: :chrisfreshhah:

ADHD affects every aspect your life, I am guessing your are not good with relationships and friends as well?

ADHD affects every aspect your life, I am guessing your are not good with relationships and friends as well?
No I am a people person, I am very respectful and value others and treat people how they should be treated. I have issues staying consistent sometimes when contacting people but my friends understand life gets in the way sometimes.

No I am a people person, I am very respectful and value others and treat people how they should be treated. I have issues staying consistent sometimes when contacting people but my friends understand life gets in the way sometimes.
If you are not having another issues besides school work, you might have "environmental" ADHD. This disorder starts from childhood and affects all aspects of your life not just school.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Your mom is scared because a lot of kids especially somali kids were wrongly diagnosed with ADHD and given medication that made them unrecognisable to their parents.

I advice you to 1st properly check yourself fro ADHD, that means you must go to a doctor.

After getting the likely diagnosis sit down your mother and explain to her your symptoms and how medication benefits you. Show your mother how you are progressing in your school work etc. She will understand Inshallah.

Trending