Alleged Nauru rape victim arrives in Australia for abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://hiiraan.com/news4/2015/Oct/1...victim_arrives_in_australia_for_abortion.aspx

Somali refugee who became pregnant after allegedly being raped on Nauru has arrived in Australia for an abortion.The woman, 23, had appealed for weeks to be transferred from the island, part of Australia's offshore network housing people seeking asylum.
Australia's top court is currently reviewing the legality of the centres.
Thousands of Australians rallied over the weekend in support of refugees and demanding their closure.
Meanwhile Nauru has dismissed another Somali refugee's allegation she was raped.
The authorities said there was insufficient evidence to support the woman's claim she was raped by two Nauruan men.
Under Australia's tough asylum policy, any irregular migrants trying to reach the country by boat are intercepted and held in centres on Nauru and Manus Island, Papua New Guinea.
The government says this deters people-traffickers but there have been criticism of the conditions at the camps.
  • Many asylum seekers - mainly from Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Iraq and Iran - travelled to Australia's Christmas Island by boat from Indonesia.
  • The number of boats rose sharply in 2012 and early 2013. Scores of people died making the journey.
  • To stop the influx, the government adopted hard-line measures intended as a deterrent.
  • Everyone who arrives by boat is now detained and processed in Nauru and Papua New Guinea. Those found to be refugees will be resettled in PNG, Nauru or Cambodia.

The 23-year-old Somali woman is reportedly more than 12 weeks pregnant. Abortion is allowed in some circumstances on Nauru but not in the case of rape.
The Australian government had come under pressure to allow her to enter the country to terminate the pregnancy.
"Our client is relieved that there has been a resolution to this sensitive matter," her lawyer George Newhouse told the Sydney Morning Herald.
"She is now in Australia and the Commonwealth government has agreed to provide her with medical treatment."
But an opposition politician hit out at the woman's treatment.
"You've got to wonder why a young woman's very distressing situation had to become so public and the [prime] minister had to be pleaded with by the Australian people," said Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young, AAP reported.

menace

President - Sexaholics Anonymous, Ohio chapter
VIP
Pay attention to how she will all of a sudden refuse an abortion bc it was her husband who got her pregnant

They already found the other chick to be lying

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Pay attention to how she will all of a sudden refuse an abortion bc it was her husband who got her pregnant

They already found the other chick to be lying

Where do you keep getting this idea that she's lying about being raped or that her husband impregnated her?:cosbyhmm:

Q

Queen Carawelo

Where do you keep getting this idea that she's lying about being raped or that her husband impregnated her?:cosbyhmm:
Because most fobs who claim to be teenagers are pregnant when they arrive in the West, then when it's time to have the baby, they claim they were either raped or had a boyfriend in Africa which their parents or guardian didn't approve of. My bestie is a social worker and she deals with this everyday.

Duchess

VIP
Because most fobs who claim to be teenagers are pregnant when they arrive in the West, then when it's time to have the baby, they claim they were either raped or had a boyfriend in Africa which their parents or guardian didn't approve of. My bestie is a social worker and she deals with this everyday.

Australia is very different from the US. She has not been granted asylum by Australia, but granted a visa to receive medical treatment so whether she refuses or accepts the abortion is irrelevant because she will br forced back into a detention center.

I don't doubt that she was raped because she has nothing to gain by claiming to have been raped.

Australia refuses to accept asylum seekers who try to arrive by boat, instead sending them to Nauru or Manus Island in Papua New Guinea, where they are held until their claim for asylum is assessed. The camps have been criticized by human rights groups and the United Nations for their harsh conditions. AnAustralian Senate report in August described conditions at the Nauru center as dangerous and intolerable.

“There is clear pattern of violence against refugee women on Nauru,” said Daniel Webb, a lawyer from the Human Rights Law Center. “Many of these attacks are happening outside the center in the Nauruan community.

http://nyti.ms/1Owq2of

menace

VIP
I know too well of the deceiving nature of the Somali...the other chick was already found to be lying, do you recognize that

menace

VIP
Australia is very different from the US. She has not been granted asylum by Australia, but granted a visa to receive medical treatment so whether she refuses or accepts the abortion is irrelevant because she will br forced back into a detention center.

I don't doubt that she was raped because she has nothing to gain by claiming to have been raped.

http://nyti.ms/1Owq2of
I think you've been far away from the mind of the FOB...are you kidding me! This chick is banking on the chance that once she sets foot in Australia she will embark on titanic court battle ..you are also unaware that the Supreme Court of Australia is about to rule on the legality of this outsourcing ..guess who took Australia to court ? Civil rights organization who used this chick's rape claim
Duchess you need a quick trip to Africa, you've been around civilized people for far too long

Duchess

VIP
I know too well of the deceiving nature of the Somali...the other chick was already found to be lying, do you recognize that

Provide me with a link to this story. I haven't seen it.

menace

VIP
@Duchess

_86066761_86066760.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionThe desolate island nation of Nauru holds migrants while Australia processes their asylum claims
A Somali woman who became pregnant after allegedly being raped on Nauru has arrived in Australia.

The woman, 23, had requested weeks ago to be transferred from Nauru, part of Australia's offshore network housing people seeking asylum, to Australia so she could have an abortion.

Australia's top court is currently reviewing the legality of the centres.

Thousands of people joined protests at the weekend in support of refugees, and calling for the camps to be closed.

_86066759_029557544-1.jpg
Image copyrightReuters
Image captionThe weekend saw demonstrations supporting refugees
Meanwhile, Nauru has dismissed another Somali refugee's allegation she was raped.

ADVERTISEMENT

The authorities said there was insufficient evidence to support the woman's claim she was raped by two Nauruan men.

Under Australia's tough asylum policy, any irregular migrants trying to reach the country by boat are intercepted and held in centres on Nauru and Manus Island, Papua New Guinea.

The government says this deters people-traffickers but there has been been criticism of the conditions at the camps.

In September, a report by the senate committee found conditions on Nauru were not "appropriate or safe". It said allegations of rape and abuse should be investigated.

Australia and asylum
  • Many asylum seekers - mainly from Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Iraq and Iran - travelled to Australia's Christmas Island by boat from Indonesia.
  • The number of boats rose sharply in 2012 and early 2013. Scores of people died making the journey.
  • To stop the influx, the government adopted hard-line measures intended as a deterrent.
  • Everyone who arrives by boat is now detained and processed in Nauru and Papua New Guinea. Those found to be refugees will be resettled in PNG, Nauru or Cambodia.
Is Australia's Cambodia solution 'an expensive joke'?

Australia's controversial asylum policy

The 23-year-old Somali woman is reportedly more than 12 weeks pregnant. She alleges she was raped in the Nauruan community.

Abortion is illegal in the tiny island nation of Nauru, except where the mother's life is at risk. Rape is not considered a justifiable reason to seek a termination.

The Australian government had been under pressure to allow the women to enter the country for medical treatment.

"Our client is relieved that there has been a resolution to this sensitive matter," her lawyer George Newhouse told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"She is now in Australia and the Commonwealth government has agreed to provide her with medical treatment," he said, without giving further details.

Mr Newhouse said his client was grateful to "concerned Australians for their support" and to officials for their "understanding".

But an opposition politician has hit out at the woman's treatment.

"You've got to wonder why a young woman's very distressing situation had to become so public and the [prime] minister had to be pleaded with by the Australian people," said Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young, AAP reported.

:comeon::draketf::hemad::kobeok::mjpls::mybusiness:

Just accept the L bro

Q

Queen Carawelo

You could be right duchess but I've heard of cases where new comers claim rape but who knows.

Menace stop handing out random ass Ls lol.

Duchess

VIP
You could be right duchess but I've heard of cases where new comers claim rape but who knows.

Menace stop handing out random ass Ls lol.

You should visit Australia. They are ruthless.

menace

VIP
@Duchess

I urge you to employ common sense ...Nauru has a population of less than 10k...they are not anywhere near this camp except few that are employed there..secondly what was a somali doing in a Cave..shit just doesn't add up..our people are the same people that will, indha adeeg, say a guy is 17 when he is 38 years of age

Duchess

VIP
@Duchess

I urge you to employ common sense ...Nauru has a population of less than 10k...they are not anywhere near this camp except few that are employed there..secondly what was a somali doing in a Cave..shit just doesn't add up..our people are the same people that will, indha adeeg, say a guy is 17 when he is 38 years of age

She was released from the detention center in Nauru and was resettled on the island. That's where the rape occurred. Her story is not unique as the same thing has happened to several other women who were resettled in Nauru.

One woman lies catatonic in hospital after being raped and beaten. Another was raped and immolated. This is the world awaiting refugees released from detention on Nauru.

Much of the reporting of Nauru focuses on the camps, or regional processing centres. But there is another reality lived outside it, once refugees are settled. For many months now, hostility towards refugees has grown among Nauruans. Local resentment about the 2013 riots has metastasised, mixed with anxieties about employment and culture. Many settled refugees have been assaulted, and there are frequent threats to storm the camps themselves.

Among this, the Australian companies MDA and AMES – jointly run by the consortium Connect – provide settlement services to refugees who have been released from the detention camps. Counselling, accommodation, teaching and employment services. While Connect finds accommodation for refugees, the Australian government pays the rent.

However, two sources have told me that the accommodation sought for refugees is woefully inadequate and leaves women vulnerable. There are doors without locks – merely flimsy latches – and single women who have been placed in the most remote parts of the island, where they have subsequently been sexually assaulted.

Connect denies this, saying they haven’t heard any allegations of rape. “Single women are housed in the community where appropriate accommodation is available close to other members of their community,” a Connect spokeswoman, Laurie Nowell, tells me.

“We are not aware of any allegations of rape. We are not aware of any reports of rape made either to the local police or through Connect’s incident reporting process.”

It’s unusual that they haven’t encountered any allegations of rape or sexual assault, because there are many.

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au...22/nauru-rapes-there-war-women/14401656002263

Common sense tells me that these women gain nothing from lying as they are transported back to Nauru once they're healthy enough to travel. Either all of these women are liars who willingly had unprotected sex with the locals or they are genuine rape victims.

As for the other Somali rape victim, you shouldn't be surprised that the police said there was insufficient evidence. When she called them, they took more than 4 hours to arrive and provided her with no further update on the investigation.

Here is a video that captured the moment she called the police:

But I guess she's acting, right?:comeon:

There are serious doubts about the capacity and ability of Nauruan police to investigate alleged crimes.

The Senate inquiry revealed that of 50 incidents referred to Nauruan police by detention centre operators since 2012, just two convictions were obtained.

Nauru's legal system has also deteriorated amid an assault on the rule of law and freedom of speech on the island.

New Zealand's government recently suspended its aid funding for the Nauruan justice system as a result of political prosecutions, including against opposition MPs.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-28/two-refugees-allegedly-raped-on-nauru/6809956

2 convictions out of 50 reported incidents. @menace, you're expecting justice from a place that is less just than Somalia.:stressed:

Status
Not open for further replies.