Another Somali qualifies for Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
ows_146812205755302.jpg

Former Gophers All-America distance runner Hassan Mead punched his ticket to the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro with a runner-up finish in the 5,000 meters Saturday at the U.S. Olympic trials.

“We’re absolutely thrilled for Hassan,” said Minnesota track coach Steve Plasencia, a two-time Olympian in the 10,000 meters. “He’s simply a tremendous person … he’s poured his heart and soul into running, and we couldn’t be more proud of him right now.”

Mead, a 26-year-old graduate of Minneapolis South, was timed in 13 minute, 35.70 seconds, well off his personal best of 13:02.8 but a close second to 41-year-old Bernard Lagat, who rallied down the stretch and qualified for his fifth Olympics in 13:35.5.

http://m.startribune.com/former-gophers-runner-hassan-mead-headed-to-rio-in-5-000-meters/386163541/

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Good for him but why is it always Somalis either running track or football

Id like to see a Somali pro boxer

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Wouldn't wish for any of my brethren to go yo Rio right now.

But since he's going, hope he does well.

ReeBorama

"I'd kill for a Noble Peace Prize"
@Duke of Harshaw

Is he ur cousin? Lol

Mead? Ma maydh Ba?
Very strange last name.
Lol Mashalla regardless.
Mead is Miicaad and not Maydh, a very common Somali name and yeah that dude is probably a northerner.

We have one guaranteed D.I.R fella though, my cuzin Ayanleh Soulieman will definitely bring home a gold medal or two!

waraabe

Your superior
Mead is Miicaad and not Maydh, a very common Somali name and yeah that dude is probably a northerner.

We have one guaranteed D.I.R fella though, my cuzin Ayanleh Soulieman will definitely bring home a gold medal or two!

we have my nigga mo farah bring that gold in

dir and isaaq have contributed well

Apparently alot of runners from Ethiopia and Somalia carry the T haplogroup. Scientists believe that T carriers have genes that make them
superior distance runners , so it's not surprising that reer waqooyi especially Dir and Isaaq have produced the best runners since T hp is more concentrated and higher in their degmos.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
Apparently alot of runners from Ethiopia and Somalia carry the T haplogroup. Scientists believe that T carriers have genes that make them
superior distance runners , so it's not surprising that reer waqooyi especially Dir and Isaaq have produced the best runners since T hp is more concentrated and higher in their degmos.

:draketf:
How do you explain Haile Gebrselassie, Abdi Bile and the countless Kenyan runners through the years?

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
tfw youve got two copies of the long distant gene but you would pass out after a kilometer

:francis:

:draketf:
How do you explain Haile Gebrselassie, Abdi Bile and the bcountless Kenyan runners through the years?
I said a lot of them not all , you don't have to be a T carrier or a reer waqooyi to be a good runner , but T carriers are over represented in long distance running when you compare them to the rest of the population. They comprise less than 20% in both Ethiopia and Somalia yet 30% of professional runners carry T. Whether it's causation or correlation is not clear , but there's something to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.