Anyone else think it's foolish and dangerous for Somalia to develop oil with the current state of civil unrest?

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
You are asking for trouble if you are introducing oil when the country is not politically stable or safe.
Drilling won't begin for years. Do you think an oil rig is set up over night?

If the next administration can't settle the disputes and defeat shabaab then we don't deserve to use our resources.

I highly doubt we have oil, and even so, I'm not sure it's a good thing.

Resource curse is a real thing, I'd rather we become the next Rwanda than the next Gabon.

The resource curse is a real thing, I'd rather we become the next Rwanda than the next Gabon.
An african style dictatorship oil siphoning won't work in Somalia. The people are too resistant. Gabon and Angolan are miskeen to cadaans.

And we do have oil reserves, they've already been mapped on the coast.

Resource curse is a real thing, I'd rather we become the next Rwanda than the next Gabon.
Africa is the richest continent in the world. Although there's only been a few inspections so far it seems there is an abudance of oil. The U.A.E made a deal with Somaliland because of it.

Personally, I don't even want to talk about oil until we can create a stable state and remove as much outer influence as possible.

Having all these foreign forces and influences in the country with the topic of oil coming up is definitely making me uneasy

We're still like 4-6 years away. If AS still around in 2024 we may as well cut a deal with them and pay them off.
Brah we at rock bottom rn. Becoming the "next Gabon" is still 10x better than where we at rn.

An african style dictatorship oil siphoning won't work in Somalia. The people are too resistant. Gabon and Angolan are miskeen to cadaans.

And we do have oil reserves, they've already been mapped on the coast.
Africa is the richest continent in the world. Although there's only been a few inspections so far it seems there is an abudance of oil. The U.A.E made a deal with Somaliland because of it.
Somalia is one of the most dangerous and corrupt countries on the planet and Somaliland doesn't even have international recognition, any deals are done with oil exploration companies will absolutely f*ck us over, and our corrupt politicians will make sure we don't see a dime of that oil money.

And you will also have foreign powers take an active interest in trying to steal your resources, which destabilizes the country further. This is the last thing we need right now, I don't want to hear talk of oil in Somalia.

Somalia is one of the most dangerous and corrupt countries on the planet and Somaliland doesn't even have international recognition, any deals are done with oil exploration companies will absolutely f*ck us over, and our corrupt politicians will make sure we don't see a dime of that oil money.

And you will also have foreign powers take an active interest in trying to steal your resources, this is the last thing we need right now, I don't want to hear talk of oil in Somalia.
How does the federal government make enough money to buy military weapons or money for infrastructure?

You need money to run a government, I'd rather not rely on aid and debt. The oil deals will be unfair, but you need form a relationship much like GCC and the US.

And you will also have foreign powers take an active interest in trying to steal your resources, this is the last thing we need right now, I don't want to hear talk of oil in Somalia.
So what if it doesn't have international recognition? Deals are being made. That's what matters. You can't write off SL's success just because for some odd reason it hasn't been recognized yet. Do you think a country's statehood is determined by other countries? Seems irrational to me.

ibn Yahya Al-Sooli

Anti-Qabiilism & Anti-Nationalism
We're still like 4-6 years away. If AS still around in 2024 we may as well cut a deal with them and pay them off.
Brah we at rock bottom rn. Becoming the "next Gabon" is still 10x better than where we at rn.
What would a deal with AS look like
:hmm:

How does the federal government make enough money to buy military weapons or money for infrastructure?

You need money to run a government, I'd rather not rely on aid and debt. The oil deals will be unfair, but you need form a relationship much like GCC and the US.
What the Government needs to do is to destroy the terrorists completely, improve security across the country, and remove AMISOM and replace it with the SNA. These 3 things must take precedence above all else and will take at least a decade to do thoroughly.

Talking of oil while there is so much to do first is madness, we need to position ourselves to be in a good position to make deals with oil companies.
So what if it doesn't have international recognition? Deals are being made. That's what matters. You can't write off SL's success just because for some odd reason it hasn't been recognized yet. Do you think a country's statehood is determined by other countries? Seems irrational to me.
A countries statehood is exactly determined by other countries, it's called the UN.

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP

And you will also have foreign powers take an active interest in trying to steal your resources, which destabilizes the country further. This is the last thing we need right now, I don't want to hear talk of oil in Somalia.
It's dangerous and corrupt because of the sheer amount of poverty combined with cultural aspects such as qabil.

Somalia's government doesn't even have a budget that reaches a billion (last time I checked) and the majority of that is used to fight AS and militias. Till we have capital and equipment to end this war I don't see any major developments happening.

It's dangerous and corrupt because of the sheer amount of poverty combined with cultural aspects such as qabil.

Somalia's government doesn't even have a budget that reaches a billion (last time I checked) and the majority of that is used to fight AS and militias. Till we have capital and equipment to end this war I don't see any major developments happening.
It's costs money to have a robust military. If every soldier is given a decent wage, every 18 year old would join.

Poverty is the heart many problems, well said.

Can you please tell me who approved the Berbera deal???
Also, No one cares about ur lil SL this thread is about oil in south Somalia. North Somalia doesn't have any oil so stop drilling

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic 🇸🇱]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
Somalia isn't in a position to drill oil at this moment, we have to get rid of AS,set up a anti-corruption laws and elect a good and honest president, if we happen to have oil then we have to be carefull who will benefit this and choose our partners wisely.
:bell:

Ur only saying that because PL does not have any oil
giphy.gif

But yea I agree with setting up an anti-corruption laws ASAP

Trending