At last, we've made it. FGM on BuzzFeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VixR

Veritas
Another lovely 'value' we're now known for. Another shameful, embarassing cultural practice that needs to die the fxck out @Bahal Sorry, did I say die out, I meant be preserved.
Off with me?

On the contrary, I wish to preserve our culture and heritage until the day He Who Holds My Life in His Hand calls mankind to judgement.

Surely there is something off with you if you wish to erase our values from the face of the earth.

:hemad:Smh another race traitor and open enemy of the peace loving Somali people

:damedamn:

What other cultural practices would you so wantonly discard? Perhaps our cultural dress? Hilib geel? Clan revenge killings?

Last edited:
@Bahal supports dictatorships and is soft (sympathetic?) to terrorists. He's not of sound mind.

IMG_20160925_001633.jpg

IMG_20160925_001649.jpg

I'm glad Somali women are speaking up

Even though Shafi'i fiqh considers fgm to be mandatory (most somalis, at least through history, have been of shafi'i madhab), it is actually beginning to be addressed and tackled - weirdly enough, through the argument that it is not religiously mandatory. I'm sure once upon a time the exact opposite religious argument was being cited. Picking and choosing is obviously a religious custom. But at least you're picking the right way now.

Airing dirty laundry :ohlord::meleshame:

250,000 views in just 24 hours.

This isnt airing dirty laundry. The world knows about the Indian caste system, the Arabs and their terrorism and their hate for women and other minorities and the forced abortions issue with the Chinese.

Every nation has their own problem (some bigger than others)

VixR

Veritas
Even though Shafi'i fiqh considers fgm to be mandatory (most somalis, at least through history, have been of shafi'i madhab), it is actually beginning to be addressed and tackled - weirdly enough, through the argument that it is not religiously mandatory. I'm sure once upon the exact opposite religious argument was being cited. Picking and choosing is obviously a religious custom. But at least you're picking the right way now.
You mean to say all Muslim societies perform FGM like Somalis back home?
Well... you are on the sheegato list
I consider u a shegato.

You mean to say all Muslim societies perform FGM?

No, not all muslim societies. But Shafi'i madhab considers fgm to be mandatory and the effects of that can be seen if you look at the communities where shafi'i madhab has been dominant. In these societies fgm is still an issue. It's true, for example, for Kurdish people, in communities in Indonesia, in Yemen and Egypt etc. For others it is purely cultural, including non-Muslim societies. Some Muslims who are not shafi'i practice it too, it's not cut and dry. It's a mix of culture and religion, but religious edicts have played a part too. When people say, "it's cultural and not religious", whether or not they realize it, that is only half true.

Recently though, Muslims have started to abandon their madhab based religious identities. There's been a rise in salafism and just generally the idea that 'there is only one Islam, the Islam that Muhammad and the sahaba practiced and that's it." On the surface this looks fairly innocuous enough, but in reality it gives carte-blanche religious legitimacy to a select few, usually those with the money. Sometimes this a good thing, mostly though (I think) it is pretty bad, and will be biting the Muslim world on the ass for the next 100+ years. And for that, we will all suffer.

VixR

Veritas
No, not all muslim societies. But Shafi'i madhab considers fgm to be mandatory and the effects of that can be seen if you look at the communities where shafi'i madhab has been dominant. In these societies fgm is still an issue. It's true, for example, for Kurdish people, in communities in Indonesia, in Yemen and Egypt etc. For others it is purely cultural, including non-Muslim societies. Some Muslims who are not shafi'i practice it too, it's not cut and dry. It's a mix of culture and religion, but religious edicts have played a part too. When people say, "it's cultural and not religious", whether or not they realize it, that is only half true.

Recently though, Muslims have started to abandon their madhab based religious identities. There's been a rise in salafism and just generally the idea that 'there is only one Islam, the Islam that Muhammad and the sahaba practiced and that's it." On the surface this looks fairly innocuous enough, but in reality it gives carte-blanche religious legitimacy to a select few, usually those with the money. Sometimes this a good thing, mostly though (I think) it is pretty bad, and will be biting the Muslim world on the ass for the next 100+ years. And for that, we will all suffer.
But it seems the FGM Arabs conducted was a version called 'Sunni', which is the type that's spoken about in the religion and was condoned and considered favorable (though not mandatory), isn't at all on par with the extreme infibulation procedure undergone most notably by Somalis. It seems more like the type is cultural, but "yes or no" of it religiously fueled or madhab-related.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Wtf is she going to gain from this? Let's be honest with ourselves, do you actually think these anti FGM organizations will go to the deepest badiyo and educate the average reer badiyo family about FGM? These women should physically go to every Somali town, baadiyo and educate the people instead of talking about it, action speaks louder than words. Talking about FGM to people who can't relate won't help little girls in Somalia. Educate the people!!!!

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
By the way I find it ironic Somalis practice what fircoon used to do to women, hypocrites!
And it's always the women doing this to the little girls, fathers don't care about FGM.

But it seems the FGM Arabs conducted was a version called 'Sunni', which is the type that's spoken about in the religion and was condoned and considered favorable (though not mandatory), isn't at all on par with the extreme infibulation procedure undergone most notably by Somalis. It seems more like the type is cultural, but "yes or no" of it religiously fueled or madhab-related.

I don't really know the different 'types' tbh, too gruesome for me to look into. But, yeah, culture plays a big part.

brakenclaw

Stay real in the everything fake era
imma be honest i've never heard of FGM besides the internet... is this actually common in somalia or is it just rare af? i've asked my aunts and asked em if such a thing exists, all of them told me they don't even know what it is...

Last edited:

VixR

Veritas
I don't really know the different 'types' tbh, too gruesome for me to look into. But, yeah, culture plays a big part.
We studied it in a class, when the professor specifically mentioned Somalia as a practitioner of class #3 the most extreme version, among the other countries she was talking about (FGM is broken down into classes 1-4), that got my attention and it was the first I heard of it. And then to look into it more and find all these Somali women and models speaking about it in numbers, I was surprised I hadn't heard about it earlier. I guess I have penchant for the gruesome, I like to think of it as medically inclined, cuz I was curious enough to look up the differences myself, but alongside that there are simple illustrations online. I'll attach one such (illustration) for anyone who's inclined.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

We studied it in a class, when the professor specifically mentioned Somalia as a practitioner of class #3 among the other countries she was talking about (FGM is broken down into classes 1-4), that got my attention and it was the first I heard of it. And then to look into it more and find all these Somali women and models speaking about it in numbers, I was surprised I hadn't heard about it earlier. I guess I have penchant for the gruesome cuz I was curious enough to look up the differences myself, but there are illustrations online. I'll attach one such (illustration) for anyone who's inclined.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It's a wonder that anyone can convince themselves that madness is a good idea.

Merca

Inactive.
Shaf'i madhab don't demand FGM because it's haram. There's a difference between female circumtion and FGM, the former is recommended and the latter is totally haram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts