Calling Professional Somali Truck Drivers and Owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to know how much money you folks make. My relatives are doubting my education and the kind of work I do. I am constantly being criticized for not driving a truck because allegedly I could make more money and bath in green if I drove a truck. Hebel bought two trucks after a while and now bought a home, and another hebel rakes in green stories abound.

Somalis usually feed on rumors and waa la yidhi. If any of you here owns and operates a truck of his own, or works as a professional truck driver, I need your input.

How much money do you make after taxes?

Cukaash

"WE WUZ BOQORTOOYO" KARBASHER.
Cool. You own a truck? Or Drive one? I need some real feed back pertaining to their income. Waa na wareeriyeen.
Im around a lot of truck drivers and been room mates with them. So i know abt the life and what they do.

Im around a lot of truck drivers and been room mates with them. So i know abt the life and what they do.

Cool bro. Gather some serious data.

How much money do they make?
What is the take home after taxes?
How many hours do they work to earn the paycheck?
Ownership vs Working for someone, which one is better?

Take your time saxib.

What's wrong with what you are currently doing?

I only know one older dude in Alberta that drives oil tankers, he owns an acreage in a small town and with 2 double loaded tankers. It's hard work is all I know and loads of responsibility.

I think your approach is all fucked up here.

What is your outcome?
Are you doing this to get into another field or you cash to start a different business?
What is your purpose for wanting to drive a truck or own a truck?

Are you one of those Somalis that get immediate confidence in something if you see another Somali doing it?

I mean there's just so much you have to ask yourself about this before asking only about "Cash".

What's wrong with what you are currently doing?

I only know one older dude in Alberta that drives oil tankers, he owns an acreage in a small town and with 2 double loaded tankers. It's hard work is all I know and loads of responsibility.

I think your approach is all fucked up here.

What is your outcome?
Are you doing this to get into another field or you cash to start a different business?
What is your purpose for wanting to drive a truck or own a truck?

Are you one of those Somalis that get immediate confidence in something if you see another Somali doing it?

I mean there's just so much you have to ask yourself about this before asking only about "Cash".

Nothing is wrong with what I am doing. I found my profession serendipitously. I got hired by a high tech manufacturing company as an operator then applied for a job posted internally that required a degree. I was studying something else in college back then but changed my major in line with the position and the company paid for my education afterwards. All certificates and the final degree earned me a reward money as well. I am both grateful and happy with what I do right now. It is scientific, teaching/learning, and a challenging job. My reported income was $50,000 for the year 2016 even though I made higher than that before when I worked over-time.

I am curious about how much truck drivers make and their income from credible sources, or people with first hand knowledge. And I don't mind owning some fleet in the future if I could do it and it was lucrative. Working for yourself is better always than working for somebody else right?

Last edited:
Nothing is wrong with what I am doing. I found my profession serendipitously. I got hired by a high tech manufacturing company as an operator then applied for a job posted internally that required a degree. I was studying something else in college back then but changed my major in line with the position and the company paid for my education afterwards. All certificates and the final degree earned me a reward money as well. I am both grateful and happy with what I do right now. It is scientific, teaching/learning, and a challenging job. My reported income was $50,000 for the year 2016 even though I made higher than that before when I worked over-time.

I am curious about how much truck drivers make and their income from credible sources, or people with first hand knowledge. And I don't mind owning some fleet in the future if I could do it and it was lucrative. Working for yourself is better always than working for somebody else right?

I think a better way to look at it to increase your sources of revenue.

I was alarmed when you said "Hebel iyo Hebel".

Too many Somalis run to low hanging fruit and seek confidence from seeing other Somalis doing something that requires low inputs. Don't jump in because of "Hebel iyo Hebel". Jump in because you will learn from it and increase your sources of revenue.

I think a better way to look at it to increase your sources of revenue.

I was alarmed when you said "Hebel iyo Hebel".

Too many Somalis run to low hanging fruit and seek confidence from seeing other Somalis doing something that requires low inputs. Don't jump in because of "Hebel iyo Hebel". Jump in because you will learn from it and increase your sources of revenue.

Agreed Saxib. I understand your concern. I am not ditching a profession I like that gives me lots of oppotunities to expand my horizon and learn something new everyday. Plenty of opportunities for education and travel. I wanted to get first hand information about the hebel rumours. I need to know what is their income and the process of making that money.

My job is fun and it led me to reading books and subjects I would never read otherwise. Plus it applies to many technical fields both industrial scale and small.

Agreed Saxib. I understand your concern. I am not ditching a profession I like that gives me lots of oppotunities to expand my horizon and learn something new everyday. Plenty of opportunities for education and travel. I wanted to get first hand information about the hebel rumours. I need to know what is their income and the process of making that money.

My job is fun and it led me to reading books and subjects I would never read otherwise. Plus it applies to many technical fields both industrial scale and small.

Here's a hack is use on getting advice whenever I need to learn more about a venture or detailed business costs.

A) Cold call as many contractors as you can. Pick up a yellow pages or google private contractors out of state that don't see you as a threat.

B) Find consistencies in operating costs: Fuel, Mechanical costs etc.

C) Read financial statements and industry reports of the top trucking and logistics companies and see what the trend is for the next 10 years. There not enough people driving trucks and many companies are cutting costs by subcontracting. I tried investing in Logistics companies and trucking companies and lost money because the industry is getting razor thin margins.

D) Stop the fucking "Hebel iyo Hebel". If you are looking to make an extra 20-30k a year maybe you should find someone to invest in a truck with and you guys can hire a driver to operate the trucks. Make cold calls and cold emails to find yourselves some contracts with local companies.

The Canadian dollar is low and you might want to look into buying trucks from Canada since they are cheaper. Get a decent truck and have it brought to you in your State.

But stay the f*ck away from "Hebel iyo Hebel". Because Hebel don't pay your bills.

I have a few relatives who drive trucks. I haven't really paid attention to their convos but one thing I do know is finding cross country jobs are your best bet.(they pay handsomely) Of you prefer to drive within the city, you can probably rake in about 70k (starting) annually.

Unless you own or will purchase your own truck. If you can start by using a rental or provided truck, and put aside money to purchase your own eventually, you will make some serious bread. The potential to climb up in that industry is serious. Though Somalis rarely do. A lot of Somali truckers retire in the same position they started. Long term, owning a fleet of trucks should be a goal. Having your own company and dispatching drivers should be your goal. Just know the job is hard and draining and takes it's toll on your body. Basically you will earn every cent.

They make very good money but instead of changing your field like that, apply for government work (the IT sector of government ministers) you will make 80,000 a year.

I like to know how much money you folks make. My relatives are doubting my education and the kind of work I do. I am constantly being criticized for not driving a truck because allegedly I could make more money and bath in green if I drove a truck. Hebel bought two trucks after a while and now bought a home, and another hebel rakes in green stories abound.

Somalis usually feed on rumors and waa la yidhi. If any of you here owns and operates a truck of his own, or works as a professional truck driver, I need your input.

How much money do you make after taxes?

I don't know what has happened to earlier comment? However you could make 80,000 year if you work in government sector/ ministries (IT department ) also take your master degree.

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
Company truck drivers can make as high as 75k yearly before taxes.

Owner operators can make as high 250k before operations and taxes.

Go on Glassdoor and compare company pays. Owner operator is probably going to be harder to know.

Awesome feedback guys. So it is true. They make good money. I can't see myself on the road like that and it involves long hours of driving. Brothers are hard working obviously. The stories I heard of many buying homes and doing good is based on facts marka.

Canuck

I used to make more money at my previous job, took a pay cut to get hired for this one for the educational benefits. They pay for schooling when I register at the U.

OmarLittle

That is a good source. Thanks for bringing that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.