Contemplating Quran Cures Depression

Omar del Sur

علم السلف > علم الخلف
VIP
[disclaimer: I went off-topic on my own thread but... I'm okay with that]

I'm not out to complain about my problems or to talk about them... but I was feeling so distraught and gloomy and I was really feeling distressed earlier... not out of some "chemical imbalance" but just having to do with some problem I was facing... and then I started reading this book on hell and they started quoting the Quran in the book... so I was really fascinated with looking at the verses of the Quran the book was citing- and so I'm focused on trying to understand these verses of the Quran... and I get really wrapped up in trying to understand these verses and think about them

and then I think "wait a minute- I was depressed earlier"- but by then I don't feel it at all.

ultimately, when you are feeling distressed- turn to the book of Allah. you'll forget all about your problems.

what I was reading had to do with yawm ul qiyamah. if you think about yawm ul qiyamah- and we should, it's mentioned in Surah Al-Fatiha- then all your worldly problems seem small and then you focus on the real issue- which is your akhirah.

I am convinced that if you think a lot about and focus a lot on dunya- you'll always be full of worries. if things are bad, then you stress about that. if you're rich and have all the worldly things you desire, even then if you are overly focused on dunya, I think you will be full of worries.

One thing I think is interesting about the 40 hadith of Imam Nawawi is- I think these two hadith are almost telling us the same thing-

Rasul Allah ﷺ said:

"كُنْ فِي الدُّنْيَا كَأَنَّك غَرِيبٌ أَوْ عَابِرُ سَبِيلٍ"

(be in this world like a stranger or traveler) (Bukhari)

so in this world, I think you should be like an ajnabi- an ajnabi to this dunya. it is not your homeland but you are a foreigner. you are a Muslim so insha'Allah your real home is waiting in jannah- and this dunya is like a dream you're having.

honestly, people- do you treat this world like a traveler treats an airport that he is passing through? or do you treat it like it's your permanent home?

Rasul Allah ﷺ said:

"ازْهَدْ فِي الدُّنْيَا يُحِبَّك اللهُ"

(renounce the dunya and Allah will love you)

I think my post is too long but insha'Allah I will prove in a next post that these two hadith I've quoted are similar

Last edited:

Omar del Sur

علم السلف > علم الخلف
VIP
ok so here I continue from the previous post-

3B22C092-3E2D-4998-96EE-305D6D624C5E.jpeg

ok so that is the full page... ٤٦٤ or 464 of Sheikh Uthaymeen's Commentary on the 40 hadith of Imam Nawawi... he is commenting on the hadith about being in this world as a stranger

E25D775A-76BD-4C41-BAA6-ACCA5BD29421.jpeg

[rough translation]:

From the fawaid (benefits) of this hadith:

1 - Encouraging detachment from the world and not making it a place of residence for oneself, as he ﷺ said: "Be in the world as though you are a stranger or a traveler."

2 - The effectiveness of the Prophet's ﷺ teaching through compelling examples, because if he had simply said: "Be detached from the world and don’t lean towards it" and similar statements, it would not have had the same impact as his saying: "Be in the world as though you are a stranger or a traveler."

Omar del Sur

علم السلف > علم الخلف
VIP
Rasul Allah ﷺ said:

now I want to point out... as this can be missed in translation... Sheikh Uthaymeen uses this same wording "ازهد في الدنيا"

when he's explaining fawaid (benefits of the hadith)

"2 - The effectiveness of the Prophet's ﷺ teaching through compelling examples, because if he had simply said: "Be detached from the world and don’t lean towards it" and similar statements, it would not have had the same impact as his saying: "Be in the world as though you are a stranger or a traveler.""

in the actual Arabic, he uses "ازهد في الدنيا"

"2 - The effectiveness of the Prophet's ﷺ teaching through compelling examples, because if he had simply said: "ازهد في الدنيا ["be detached from the world"- but in this same thread the same phrase was also translated as "renounce the world"- the Arabic is the same] and don’t lean towards it" and similar statements, it would not have had the same impact as his saying: "Be in the world as though you are a stranger or a traveler."""

so I want to point out that both of these hadith.. the hadith about being like a stranger and this hadith- both of these hadith are trying to teach us the same thing- and if you look at what I posted from Sheikh Uthaymeen, he is implying that these hadith are similar:

On the authority of Abu al-’Abbas Sahl bin Sa’ad as-Sa’idee (may Allah be pleased with him) who said:
A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and said, “O Messenger of Allah, direct me to an act which, if I do it, [will cause] Allah to love me and the people to love me.” So he (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Renounce the world (ازهد في الدنيا) and Allah will love you, and renounce what the people possess and the people will love you.” A hasan hadeeth related by Ibn Majah and others with good chains of authorities.

عَنْ أَبِي الْعَبَّاسِ سَهْلِ بْنِ سَعْدٍ السَّاعِدِيّ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُ قَالَ: جَاءَ رَجُلٌ إلَى النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه و سلم فَقَالَ: يَا رَسُولَ اللهِ! دُلَّنِي عَلَى عَمَلٍ إذَا عَمِلْتُهُ أَحَبَّنِي اللهُ وَأَحَبَّنِي النَّاسُ؛ فَقَالَ: "ازْهَدْ فِي الدُّنْيَا يُحِبَّك اللهُ، وَازْهَدْ فِيمَا عِنْدَ النَّاسِ يُحِبَّك النَّاسُ" . حديث حسن، رَوَاهُ ابْنُ مَاجَهْ [رقم:4102]، وَغَيْرُهُ بِأَسَانِيدَ حَسَنَةٍ.

anyways, I want to point out that both of these hadith are similar because I think it shows how important what they are teaching is. they are both in 40 hadith of Imam Nawawi btw

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
[disclaimer: I went off-topic on my own thread but... I'm okay with that]

I'm not out to complain about my problems or to talk about them... but I was feeling so distraught and gloomy and I was really feeling distressed earlier... not out of some "chemical imbalance" but just having to do with some problem I was facing... and then I started reading this book on hell and they started quoting the Quran in the book... so I was really fascinated with looking at the verses of the Quran the book was citing- and so I'm focused on trying to understand these verses of the Quran... and I get really wrapped up in trying to understand these verses and think about them

and then I think "wait a minute- I was depressed earlier"- but by then I don't feel it at all.

ultimately, when you are feeling distressed- turn to the book of Allah. you'll forget all about your problems.

what I was reading had to do with yawm ul qiyamah. if you think about yawm ul qiyamah- and we should, it's mentioned in Surah Al-Fatiha- then all your worldly problems seem small and then you focus on the real issue- which is your akhirah.

I am convinced that if you think a lot about and focus a lot on dunya- you'll always be full of worries. if things are bad, then you stress about that. if you're rich and have all the worldly things you desire, even then if you are overly focused on dunya, I think you will be full of worries.

One thing I think is interesting about the 40 hadith of Imam Nawawi is- I think these two hadith are almost telling us the same thing-

Rasul Allah ﷺ said:

"كُنْ فِي الدُّنْيَا كَأَنَّك غَرِيبٌ أَوْ عَابِرُ سَبِيلٍ"

(be in this world like a stranger or traveler) (Bukhari)

so in this world, I think you should be like an ajnabi- an ajnabi to this dunya. it is not your homeland but you are a foreigner. you are a Muslim so insha'Allah your real home is waiting in jannah- and this dunya is like a dream you're having.

honestly, people- do you treat this world like a traveler treats an airport that he is passing through? or do you treat it like it's your permanent home?

Rasul Allah ﷺ said:

I think my post is too long but insha'Allah I will prove in a next post that these two hadith I've quoted are similar

Which Surah was it? Surah Baqara?