Coronavirus: Doctors 'told not to discuss PPE shortages'

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP

Some NHS managers have tried to stop doctors speaking publicly about shortages of personal protective equipment, the BBC has been told.

WhistleblowersUK said more than 100 healthcare workers had contacted them since the beginning of March, raising concerns about Covid-19 and PPE.

The Department of Health said no one should be prevented from speaking up.

But Newsnight has seen evidence of pressure being applied to doctors to not share concerns they have about PPE.

A newsletter sent out to staff at one trust suggested subjects for tweets, such as thanking staff for their hard work, paying tribute to retired NHS staff who had returned to the workforce and retweeting posts from the trust's account.

It specified that staff were to avoid "commenting on political issues, such as PPE".

Another trust put up posters in hospital staff areas which told healthcare workers not to "make public appeals for equipment, donations or volunteers".

'Stop causing a fuss'
One doctor who had posted concerns about PPE shortages online spoke to BBC Newsnight anonymously, for fear of reprisal from his hospital.

"They hauled me up in front of a panel of senior managers - it was very, very intimidating", he said.

"They kept on feeding me what felt like government type of lines, saying 'this hospital has never had PPE shortages' - which I know to be factually untrue. And that essentially I should stop causing a fuss.

"There have been colleagues who've died at my hospital. And there have been a handful more who've been in ICU (intensive care units).

"It's very, very concerning that we can't even say our colleagues have died, please don't let us be next."

Another doctor told the programme they were called into a meeting with senior NHS managers after speaking to the press about a lack of PPE.

They said they were told by their manager that if they continued to speak out they would get a "reputation" and "find it hard to get a job at that trust or others in the region".

The doctor said: "I was told we need positive messaging that suggested everyone in the NHS is working very hard, we are doing our best in the pandemic. I was told this is what we need to be putting out, not negative stories."

Let's clap for the NHS instead, gotta love the conservative government. It's pretty obvious they've been trying to downplay how unprepared they were.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Yukon_Niner

VIP
Looks like Boris, despite getting healed by them, doesn’t plan to do the NHS workers any favors:heh:
They should've rationed his time on the ventilators for austerity measures. He's not going to do very little for the NHS even after they saved him.

Speaking of which

Boris declares war on fat: PM ditches his 'nanny state' worries and demands action plan to tackle Britain's obesity crisis after blaming his severe bout of coronavirus on being overweight

He's already avoiding the issue

They got people clapping for them every thursday just to under fund them even more when this crisis is over. They’ve already frozen their pay they’ve already did cuts Don’t expect change

Basic

Passive Aggressive is the new Aggressive
VIP
Aren't you American? Interesting you know who Boris is and about the NHS too. Pretty rare especially for an American.
Lmao :dead:

@Yukon_Niner. Its not that deep tbh. The media likes to sensationalise everything. The frontline is doing fine and we are told not to treat anyone if we don’t have adequate ppe

Yukon_Niner

VIP

@Yukon_Niner. Its not that deep tbh. The media likes to sensationalise everything. The frontline is doing fine and we are told not to treat anyone if we don’t have adequate ppe
Oh thank god, hope you stay safe.

Just so you know I clapped you for real niggas out there even though I view it as a fools errand:wow:

And btw I'm Reer UK's finest.
Im-The-Captain-Now.jpg

Basic

Passive Aggressive is the new Aggressive
VIP
Oh thank god, hope you stay safe.

Just so you know I clapped you for real niggas out there even though I view it as a fools errand:wow:
I appreciate it :it0tdo8:

Bojo is a xayawaan though. My future isn’t tied to the NHS. Considering the path it’s going down :(

Radical

Been there, done that
At least they aren't thrown out of buildings in so called "environmental accidents" like in Russia

These people are by far humanities most important workers today, every nation should be obligated to keep them well paid and protected at all costs.

“We know you might contract SARS and infect your entire family and colleagues, but don’t make a fuss:deadmanny:

Holy shit. That’s the most British thing I’ve heard in my entire life.

Trending