Did somalis really abandon their culture in favor of Arab culture

xiin-finiin

general of ciidamada sida raha ubooda
TL;DR: The post highlights the criticism faced by Somalis for allegedly abandoning their culture in favor of Arab influences, particularly in terms of cultural attire. It questions the double standards surrounding the acceptance of suits over traditional clothing. The post also challenges the assumption that similar-sounding Somali words are borrowed from Arabic and emphasizes the shared linguistic heritage between the two languages. The issue of names is discussed, noting that Somali names have become more closely associated with Islam rather than solely with the Arab world.

Whenever I come across posts discussing the perceived abandonment of Somali culture, I can't help but notice a recurring theme. The focus is always on how Somalis supposedly abandoned their culture in favor of Arab influences, with little to no acknowledgment of the diverse cultural influences we have embraced. One particular area where this is evident is in discussions about cultural attire. Every single post seems to criticize Somalis who choose to wear khamis/abaya, questioning why they would "abandon their beautiful guntimo and shals for this Arab garbage." Strangely, the same individuals rarely express any negativity towards Somalis wearing suits.

In my opinion, suits are just as foreign to our culture as khamis, if not more so. That is because we have had extensive interactions with Arabs, far more than with the individuals who introduced suits to our society. Some may argue that suits are considered a universal "professional" attire, while khamis is perceived as exclusively Arab. However, it is crucial to recognize that in Muslim countries, khamis is equally prevalent and has evolved into a normalized attire, much like suits. Over time, the Arab origins of khamis have faded, and it has become a familiar and accepted clothing choice. So why is it deemed acceptable for a Somali male to wear a suit to his wedding but criticized for wearing a khamis?

Another instance where this issue arises is in discussions about "loan words." Countless videos and posts on the internet focus on "Arabic loan words" in Somali. Why must we automatically assume that a Somali word is borrowed just because there is a similar-sounding Arabic word? Could it not be a case of shared linguistic heritage since both Arabic and Somali belong to the same Afro-Asiatic language family? Cultural exchange often results in shared vocabulary, and it is natural for languages to influence one another.

Furthermore, the issue of names exemplifies this sense of inferiority complex. While it is true that most Somali names may sound Arabic, they are, in essence, "Islamic names" associated with prophets, sahaba, and other revered figures. Over time, these names became more closely associated with Islam rather than solely with the Arab world. It's akin to naming your child Aristotle – upon hearing this name, I might cringe a little (lol), but more importantly, I understand that you value philosophy and have high aspirations for your child. I don't immediately think of the Greek origins of the name, it's the same thing with "arab" names. The prevalent inferiority complex is evident in the compilation of lengthy lists of so-called "original Somali names."

Cultural influence and exchange are inherent aspects of human societies. Rather than resisting these influences and ridiculing the Somali community as a whole, let us strive to make Somalia a strong nation that positively influences others. Instead of dwelling on double standards, let us embrace our cultural diversity. It is perfectly normal and acceptable for Somalis to wear khamis, abaya, and other cultural attires.
By cherishing our rich heritage and nurturing genuine understanding, we have the power to dismantle the lingering inferiority complex that burdens our Somali youth.

Donald Trump Reaction GIF

Omar del Sur

RETIRED
VIP
read the tldr but then :)

honestly I appreciate this more long-form in-depth style of writing. do we really want to reduce our thoughts to one or two sentences? imo just being able to map out your thoughts makes writing worth it and being able to go more in-depth makes the longer kind of writing worth it.

I think this idea that everything needs to be in small, bite-size bits is making the thoughts of people more superficial.

xiin-finiin

general of ciidamada sida raha ubooda
honestly I appreciate this more long-form in-depth style of writing. do we really want to reduce our thoughts to one or two sentences? imo just being able to map out your thoughts makes writing worth it and being able to go more in-depth makes the longer kind of writing worth it.

I think this idea that everything needs to be in small, bite-size bits is making the thoughts of people more superficial.
yea, unfortunately we are a doomed species tho lol

Trending

Latest posts