Do your parents have ptsd/anxiety/mental health problems from the civil war?

xiin-finiin

general of ciidamada sida raha ubooda
I think mine do. But I think their bad childhood affected them more. Or maybe it's just from the hard life from the nomadism in general.
not from the civil war but from the somali galbeed genocide. Imo that was much much worse. At least the civil war ended kinda quickly. This one was going on until 2017 i think

Probably but Somali people are super strong. You could never tell, they'll take that shit to the grave because appearing all emotional and losing your shit is the ultimate sign of weakness in Somali culture.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I've noticed Somalis don't take mental health issues that aren't truly severe seriously. They will accept that you need help and maybe even need to be interned if you're schizophrenic or bipolar and they see you have a hell of an episode in full display but things like depression are not taken very seriously though I've noticed that's changing.

I've noticed Somalis don't take mental health issues that aren't truly severe seriously. They will accept that you need help and to be interned even if you're schizophrenic or bipolar and they see you have a hell of an episode in full display but things like depression are not taken very seriously though I've noticed that's changing.
I have seen somalis who act completely normal and out of nowhere get a mental outburst, it seems like they're good at hiding mental issues such BIPOLAR, schizophrenia and PTSD until they no longer can. One of my uncles back home sadly struggled with severe depression his whole life, everyone used mock him or view him as a disappointment, as a child I never understood now I am older I feel so bad for him he probaly just needed help and nobody including his own family knew how to deal with it.

Somali Saayid

Frm President of Somalia, MP for Life, Cheese Love
VIP
I've never seen any of our older community members lament about the civil war. For the most part they don't like to talk about it or they are optimistic about Somalia's future.
If people who suffered from conflict first hand can remain optimistic for this country I don't see why children born in the west cannot.

I've never seen any of our older community members lament about the civil war. For the most part they don't like to talk about it or they are optimistic about Somalia's future.
If people who suffered from conflict first hand can remain optimistic for this country I don't see why children born in the west cannot.
I don't know about the "optimistic" part I remember when the president election was happening last year all the older family members had this look of disappointment but none of them were suprised. I remember getting frustrated why our country politicians are so corrupted and why people arent doing anything about it then some adeer told me that the people back home have slowly gaven up a long time ago and are just trying to live their lives the best they can and feed their families.

I especially get a sad and melancholic feeling when I am talking to an elderly somali and they talk about Somalia with pride when they reminisce of their younger days, it makes me sad to know that they saw the country they loved and grew up in crumble infront of their own eyes.

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?

The country was in a hopeless situation following the aftermath of the 90s. In my eyes, the 2000s was undoubtedly the worst decade for Somalia.

The progress that has been made in the 2010s has reignited optimism for me. It keeps the despair at bay.

The only way to build a country from the ground up is if you have love and faith in your countrymen and nation. Those who are prone to giving up easy were never cut out to be leaders anyway. They’re only good for cannon fodder in wars/battles.

I read Yukio Mishima’s work. The man was a reactionary nationalist with some questionable beliefs and yet his pure love and devotion for his countrymen and his nation moved me. I haven’t seen anything like it. I couldn’t help but develop respect for him.

Of course our country won’t be jannatul fardaws anytime soon but keeping our spirits and optimism high is the best we can do for ourselves and our community in the upcoming future.

Last edited:

Trending