Garissa at night, beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.
:nvjpqts:See how many cars In Garissa? Signs of true economic growth. Last I visited was in 2007 and it didn't have much traffic now it seems packed!! In 1999 it had a population of 60K now it has close to 300K!! By 2030 I'm positive it will reach 1+ million

Garissa is a big city. It has a downtown and a CBD. I hope to see Somalis build skyscrapers on the Garissa CBD one day :nvjpqts: but right now the CBD is riddled with the typical ugly 5 story highrises that Somalis love building.

What I like best about Garissa is the people are least Qabilist. All Somalis live there. Even though Darood and Ogaden make up the big majority you will find lots and lots of Hawiye Isaaqs and D&M even reer Xamar & Barwanis. That's why it's prospering.

Apollo

VIP
Even though Darood and Ogaden make up the big majority you will find lots and lots of Hawiye Isaaqs and D&M even reer Xamar & Barwanis. That's why it's prospering.

Are you sure Darod is the majority?

I came across a genetic study that sampled many residents from Garissa and more than half of them cluster with Borana Oromos and fewer than half with normal Somalis.

I suspect many Garre or similar people live there.

Are you sure Darod is the majority?

I came across a genetic study that sampled many residents from Garissa and more than half of them cluster with Borana Oromos and fewer than half with normal Somalis.

I suspect many Garre or similar people live there.

They are mixed with Borana and Oromo. Do you not know the history and how that place was conquered?? It was some form of blitz krieg.

Those poor Oromos didn't stand a chance at all :lol:

I'll paste the history here...

Apollo

VIP
They are mixed with Borana and Oromo. Do you not know the history and how that place was conquered?? It was some form of blitz krieg.

Those poor Oromos didn't stand a chance at all :lol:

I'll paste the history here...

I'm not sure about that. I know a couple of Southern Darods (Ogadeni and Marehan) from Far Southern Somalia / North Kenya who took these tests and they cluster mostly along North-Central 'Standard' Somalis.

Those many pseudo-Borana Oromos found in the sample of Garissa Somali residents are highly likely either Garre, Degodia, Ajuraan or Raxanweyn. Hence I suspect them and similar types being the majority.

"
As a result of this manifest weakening of the Wardei they were attacked on
all fronts and it is no surprise that they could not defend themselves but had to flee for their
lives. According to Turnbull , 'the main conflict was in the east; and the actions fought at
Afmadu, on the Deshek Wama, and at EI Lein are still- spoken of by the tribe'
.The
Ogaden were at this point led by the grand old man of the Abd Wak, Abdi Ibrahim.P1 , the
Sultan, while there were a number of invasion commanders under him: Abdi Ibrahim
was noted for his bravery and skill in war strategy which eventually led to the Ogaden
dominance in the Juba region. His remarkable leadership qualities are still remembered to this
day by the Ogaden. Notable among his commanders were Magan Yussuf, the Sultan of the
Mohamed Zubeir Ogaden, and Hassan Bejan of the Abdalla/Ogaden

Having displaced the Wardei from the Juba region the Ogaden were no content to settle
down but continued their southward expansion since the loot from the Wardei was an
appetizing reason to continue their raids. The Ogaden migration towards the Tana in the 1860s and 1870s, was one of struggle to wrest
control of the land from the Wardei. The Ogaden were firmly established along the banks
of the Tana River by the 1870' s, having virtually conquered and subordinated the..Galla to
Somali domination.

Many Somalis, especially the Abdwak Ogaden, forcefully married Wardei women in the
process of the latter 's displacement from Juba region and the North Eastern part of Kenya.
Once married to Somali men, Wardei women gained their freedom and were no longer
treated with contempt.

"

Last edited:
@Amun A/waaq sub-clan is one of the major sub-clans in Garissa and their ancestors used to marry Wardei Oromo women that's why the genetics shows them as being Oromo/mixed.

Garre, Degodia, Ajuraan or Raxanweyn don't make up the majority in Garissa

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
@ugazOG The Darood conquest of the area between the Juba and Tana is perhaps the greatest expansion of Somali territory ever. Someone has to write a book about this history.

Status
Not open for further replies.