Hair braiding thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gabdo (and maybe some of you flexible niman),

I have re-discovered how wonderful braiding is for your hair.

It really doesn't take too long. I section my hair into 4 and then make 6-8 braids in each sections so maximum 32 braids.

Timaha wey nastaan, it really protects your hair and promotes growth and retention of moisture.

And it looks really cute!

I think I'm gonna do this more. Any of you girls doing it? Also do you have any tips on looking after the ends of the hair? I realised it's the driest part of my hair.

I love braiding my hair! French/dutch braids are my favorite, box braids are beautiful but they take so long.

I can't do a proper braid myself tho so I still get my hooyo to do mine lmaooo i sit in front of her like when I was a lil girl :yloezpe:

Load up on moisture when you get towards the ends of your hair. Coconut oil is amazing

I love braiding my hair! French/dutch braids are my favorite, box braids are beautiful but they take so long.

I can't do a proper braid myself tho so I still get my hooyo to do mine lmaooo i sit in front of her like when I was a lil girl :yloezpe:

Load up on moisture when you get towards the ends of your hair. Coconut oil is amazing

Aw that's so nice. If I asked my hooyo to that she would give me the death stare and then fling a gambar at me.

My hair hates coconut oil. I'm using olive oil but just wondering if I'm doing it right. Apparently oils should be used to SEAL in moisture that's already there. So you're supposed to put a leave-in conditioner/ water AND THEN put oil to seal in the moisture. Putting oil on dry hair might be where I'm going wrong.

I ussualy braid my hair and yes it does help it grow my hair is down to my back and i sarted growing it 2 years ago i dnt braid my hair but ussualy my shorty does and all i use is before she braids my hair she puts pink oil in my hair and that leaves it nice and moist no dryness even at the tips just dont leave ur braids in to long or it will get dry at the tips no matter what put in em

I ussualy braid my hair and yes it does help it grow my hair is down to my back and i sarted growing it 2 years ago i dnt braid my hair but ussualy my shorty does and all i use is before she braids my hair she puts pink oil in my hair and that leaves it nice and moist no dryness even at the tips just dont leave ur braids in to long or it will get dry at the tips no matter what put in em

Lol Pink Oil is Somali Serum.

Hello gabdo (and maybe some of you flexible niman),

I have re-discovered how wonderful braiding is for your hair.

It really doesn't take too long. I section my hair into 4 and then make 6-8 braids in each sections so maximum 32 braids.

Timaha wey nastaan, it really protects your hair and promotes growth and retention of moisture.

And it looks really cute!

I think I'm gonna do this more. Any of you girls doing it? Also do you have any tips on looking after the ends of the hair? I realised it's the driest part of my hair.

Yes I braid my hair, I smother it with organic Virgin olive oil and than braid into boxer braids.

I also give my hair a weekly egg, honey and olive oil mask- it's so good for the hair girls I highly recommended it

I used to love pink oil but stopped using it 2 years ago.

I'm also trying grow my hair longer - I put coconut oil on the tips and reapply every few days but olive oil works just fine.

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
:deadpeter: I didn't know this was a Somali thing. Haven't seen that shit in like 10 years.

Aw that's so nice. If I asked my hooyo to that she would give me the death stare and then fling a gambar at me.

My hair hates coconut oil. I'm using olive oil but just wondering if I'm doing it right. Apparently oils should be used to SEAL in moisture that's already there. So you're supposed to put a leave-in conditioner/ water AND THEN put oil to seal in the moisture. Putting oil on dry hair might be where I'm going wrong.

Unless I misunderstood, from personal experience, applying coconut on damp hair feels much better. Leave it overnight with a du-rag on (don't judge :ufdup:) . I also think the oil is meant to act as a leave-in conditioner, so it's either leave-in or oil treatment.

Reign

Pro Women's Rights|Centrist
VIP
I like braiding my hair, but I find it breaks my ends when I'm taking the braids out.

:deadpeter: I didn't know this was a Somali thing. Haven't seen that shit in like 10 years.

Unless I misunderstood, from personal experience, applying coconut on damp hair feels much better. Leave it overnight with a du-rag on (don't judge :ufdup:) . I also think the oil is meant to act as a leave-in conditioner, so it's either leave-in or oil treatment.

Yes I think the reason why it feels better on damp hair is because you're sealing in the moisture. I just wonder if there is any point in doing it on dry hair at all? Like before bed I like to - if my hair is not in mini braids - put olive oil on and put it in boxer braids/just bantu knots. However this is on dry hair so I wonder if it's just a waste of oil. I might start wetting my ends with water before applying oil and see what happens. My hair is stuck in the just-past-my-shoulders length - it's so annoying. I trimmed it and it's gone back to the same length but it feels like my hair is destined to stay in that length forever. Ugh.

I like braiding my hair, but I find it breaks my ends when I'm taking the braids out.
Thats true it does break your end and all thofd build of hair that sheds is alot but i found out using a comb at the tips is what breaks the ends it faster but breaks the end i just untwist them wit my hands it longer but my ends dnt break

Reign

Pro Women's Rights|Centrist
VIP
Yes I think the reason why it feels better on damp hair is because you're sealing in the moisture. I just wonder if there is any point in doing it on dry hair at all? Like before bed I like to - if my hair is not in mini braids - put olive oil on and put it in boxer braids/just bantu knots. However this is on dry hair so I wonder if it's just a waste of oil. I might start wetting my ends with water before applying oil and see what happens. My hair is stuck in the just-past-my-shoulders length - it's so annoying. I trimmed it and it's gone back to the same length but it feels like my hair is destined to stay in that length forever. Ugh.
Using oil on hair while its dry is pointless as you're only sealing in dryness and that could damage your hair. I always get a spray bottle and mix olive oil and water, shake it then spray it onto my hair to refresh and moistrise hair.

Lol I can get away with one or two braids, she'd send me packing if I asked for more :yloezpe:

Don't think I've never used coconut on it's own. My hair can get really dry so I usually put in a leave in and a styler. Keeps it from going dry and frizzy. I use coconut on when i want to refresh second day hair...maybe that's why I've had some success with it. :hmm:

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
Ngl, I'm out of my depths. :damedamn: I think oiling dry hair still has some benefit. I just stopped doing it because it ends up feeling greasy and when I wash it off, my hair still felt dry. I imagine the oils will absorb better into your hair but as you said it won't seal in moisture. Likewise, applying oil to wet hair is pointless since your hair will barely absorb any of the oil. Just leaving it damp, or carefully towel-drying it out of the shower and applying it while your hair still feels soft and warm is ideal. Also I don't wash it off with shampoo the next morning because it tends to strip off everything leaving my hair dry again. I just wash it with water and leave the small amount of oil to be absorbed throughout the day. I think you just gotta find the right moment to apply it.

Ngl, I'm out of my depths. :damedamn: I think oiling dry hair still has some benefit. I just stopped doing it because it ends up feeling greasy and when I wash it off, my hair still felt dry. I imagine the oils will absorb better into your hair but as you said it won't seal in moisture. Likewise, applying oil to wet hair is pointless since your hair will barely absorb any of the oil. Just leaving it damp, or carefully towel-drying it out of the shower and applying it while your hair still feels soft and warm is ideal. Also I don't wash it off with shampoo the next morning because it tends to strip off everything leaving my hair dry again. I just wash it with water and leave the small amount of oil to be absorbed throughout the day. I think you just gotta find the right moment to apply it.

It sounds like you have low-porosity hair. Here is a helpful link: http://www.curlynikki.com/2015/08/tips-for-moisturizing-dry-natural-hair.html

Zuleikha

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
I use castor and coconut oil for hair moisturising. I also co wash and use the leave in conditioner and they work wonders for my curls.

I don't braid but I am big fan of bantu knots known as (duuduub) in our language. It's part of my nightly routine something that my mum taught me when I was young. It worked well for my pre hijab days till know, it maintains my long curls wonderfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.