Harar: Fourth City of Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harar, the Ethiopian colorful city located in the Horn of Africa is included in the World Heritage List and has been labeled the fourth city of Islam by UNESCO after Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem al-Quds. It is home to more than 80 mosques and around 100 shrines - one dedicated to a woman saint - not to mention its churches and cathedrals. Its people, a beautiful array of different minorities and tribes, simply refer to themselves as Gey Usu,a neutral phrase meaning the city dwellers free from any sort of prejudice . They are free from the shackles of tribal discrimination and religious bigotry.
The Islamic City of Harar tries to portray the beauties of this peaceful city with its rich history, its people and its lush geography.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harar

This city belongs to us. It doesn't even make sense for Ethiopia to govern it, they are Orthodox Christians. This city was the capital of the Adal Sultanate.

Love it.

We somalis have a unique connection to Harrar and its wonderful to see different groups live side by side soo peacefully.

Did you know that Nur Ibn Mujahid was responsible for the genesis of the Harrari people.

" During his visit in the 19th century (1854), Richard F. Burton describes the town as having roughly 8,000 inhabitants with 2,500 of these being Hararis, 2,500 being Somalis and 3,000 being Bedouins who come and go. Though in this case, "Bedouin" is simply a term for nomads in the region whether they were Somalis, Afars or Oromos and doesn't necessarily connote an Arab origin".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harar

The first inhabitance of that city was a Somali clan group called Harla

According to the scholars Azais, Chambard and Huntingford, the builders of these monumental edifices were ancestral to the Somalis ("proto-Somali"
wink.png
. Modern traditions similarly link the Harla with the Ismail Jabarti and the Darod ancestors of the Somali Ogaden clan, in addition to other Somali clans living amongst the western Issa and in areas below Harar.

I posted a thread about them .

(The Mysterious Harla Somalis) Who were the ancient Harla people?
http://www.somalispot.com/threads/t...malis-who-were-the-ancient-harla-people.1275/

" During his visit in the 19th century (1854), Richard F. Burton describes the town as having roughly 8,000 inhabitants with 2,500 of these being Hararis, 2,500 being Somalis and 3,000 being Bedouins who come and go. Though in this case, "Bedouin" is simply a term for nomads in the region whether they were Somalis, Afars or Oromos and doesn't necessarily connote an Arab origin".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harar

Its amazing that we used to be the equal majority of that city and now we are the minority it is strange waale:(

Last edited:
The founder of Harrar was a Somali Sultan of Winwili/walashma dynasty

Sultan Abu Bakr ibn Muhammad
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Bakr_ibn_Muhammad
The historian Richard Pankhurst credits Abu Bakr with founding the city of Harar,[1] which he made his military headquarters in 1520.

Abu Bakr organized Somali troops, then attacked Sultan Garad Abun ibn Adash of Adal and killed him, making himself sultan

Not a muslim city any more it's been designated by filthy christians for about five centuries, no point in continuing this sharade for who knows what the Christians brought to the city during the past five centuries

The first inhabitance of that city was a Somali clan group called Harla

According to the scholars Azais, Chambard and Huntingford, the builders of these monumental edifices were ancestral to the Somalis ("proto-Somali"
wink.png
. Modern traditions similarly link the Harla with the Ismail Jabarti and the Darod ancestors of the Somali Ogaden clan, in addition to other Somali clans living amongst the western Issa and in areas below Harar.

I posted a thread about them .

(The Mysterious Harla Somalis) Who were the ancient Harla people?
http://www.somalispot.com/threads/t...malis-who-were-the-ancient-harla-people.1275/

Sxb, do you study this, I was going through your thread based on the Adal Sultanate, and it was informative?

"In Ethiopia the damage which Ahmad Gragn did has never been forgotten," wrote Paul B. Henze. "Every Christian highlander still hears tales of Gragn in his childhood. Haile Selassie referred to him in his memoirs, "I have often had villagers in northern Ethiopia point out sites of towns, forts, churches and monasteries destroyed by Gragn as if these catastrophes had occurred only yesterday." To most Somalis Ahmad is a national hero who fought against Abyssinian aggression on their ancient territories.

Sxb, do you study this, I was going through your thread based on the Adal Sultanate, and it was informative?

I read up alot about it. There was still errors in that thread when it comes to some of the buildings and objects . But nonetheless the overall info was pretty accurate. I provided enough refrence for it as well.

Despite that you will see people ruin the thread with shitty trolling. So that is why i stopped posting history and other informative threads on Somalispot. I was planning on posting a little bit more about other kingdoms some known other not so well known.

image.jpeg
"In Ethiopia the damage which Ahmad Gragn did has never been forgotten," wrote Paul B. Henze. "Every Christian highlander still hears tales of Gragn in his childhood. Haile Selassie referred to him in his memoirs, "I have often had villagers in northern Ethiopia point out sites of towns, forts, churches and monasteries destroyed by Gragn as if these catastrophes had occurred only yesterday." To most Somalis Ahmad is a national hero who fought against Abyssinian aggression on their ancient territories.

I read up alot about it. There was still errors in that thread when it comes to some of the buildings and objects . But nonetheless the overall info was pretty accurate. I provided enough refrence for it as well.

Despite that you will see people ruin the thread with shitty trolling. So that is why i stopped posting history and other informative threads on Somalispot. I was planning on posting a little bit more about other kingdoms some known other not so well known.

We need more threads on kingdoms/history, gossip and qabiil won't get us anywhere. @Geeljire try post a thread on another Kingdom sxb, you threads are educative.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
I'm always annoyed by the insistence of certain so called scholars to deny the Somaliness of our history and attribute it to mysterious Muslims who supposedly lived in the territory occupied by Somalis since pre antiquity.

I'm always annoyed by the insistence of certain so called scholars to deny the Somaliness of our history and attribute it to mysterious Muslims who supposedly lived in the territory occupied by Somalis since pre antiquity.
That makes no sense. Any mysterious Muslims in the region would be Somali themselves considering Somalis are among the first Muslims.

Status
Not open for further replies.