How come Ethiopians have thick accents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Somalis who come to the states 10 or 15 years ago, have little to none accent but when it comes to Ethiopians, their accents are usually thick and not understandable. Same with the Hindis.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
I know Somalis who came here as pre teens with horrific accents

VixR

Veritas
I know Somalis who came here as pre teens with horrific accents
For a lot of people, it's too late by then. I have a friend who came from Russia in her pre-teens. Still has the accent.

If they came here as adults or biggish kids, chances are they'll have an accent, doesn't matter if they've been here 10-15.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
somalis have thick accents, but i guess when you're around something for so long it loses its emphasis.

i will say Somalis and Ethiopians have the toughest time nailing down the grammatical aspects of english.

and Vix i'm pretty sure that's only if they retain their old language. I know a few bucks that came here at 15-16 that lost every ounce of their accent but can no longer carry a conversation in their native tongue.

Also if you work and socialize with somali or other ajanabi who have accents. your less likely to pick up the local accent and sound like the natives. I met a morocan girl from miami, wallahi the whole time I thought she was latino but as the conversation dragged on she said she is from moroco. I was soo shocked because she had hispanic mexican accent.

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.
I think we're in the same league. Most immigrant/refugees Somalis don't lose their accent compleitly. They still have a hard time with P

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Also if you work and socialize with somali or other ajanabi who have accents. your less likely to pick up the local accent and sound like the natives. I met a morocan girl from miami, wallahi the whole time I thought she was latino but as the conversation dragged on she said she is from moroco. I was soo shocked because she had hispanic mexican accent.

kkkkkkk I met a Somali guy that's fluent in Spanish cuz he worked with Mexicans

Freebandz

MONEY TEAM
Ebonics ain't fine English

:birdman:
I speak ebonic and white English:russ:
Am like informant Clifford:mjlol:
I switch up how I talk depending on who am talking to:lolbron:
I got called out ones by black females ones when I forgot to switch to how I usually speak:russ:
They told me I was acting white:pachah1:

You know I actually like how madowga talk. Like how plies talk

Look at these aa kids being taught american english lol

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
I speak ebonic and white English:russ:
Am like informant Clifford:mjlol:
I switch up how I talk depending on who am talking to:lolbron:
I got called out ones by black females ones when I forgot to switch to how I usually speak:russ:
They told me I was acting white:pachah1:

Who you tellin cuz

:lolbron:

Freebandz

MONEY TEAM
You know I actually like how madowga talk. Like how plies talk

Look at these aa kids being taught american english lol
Nah bro different region blacks sound different:manny:The ones in north and northeast are easy to understand:manny:
Plies is country I never met anybody who sounds like him:manny:

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
I wasn't talking about older people. I was talking about 30 and 40 somethings, who came here when they were either teens or late teens. They still have thick accent, my colleague came moved to Atlanta in 1994. Got his PHD from University of Georgia but still has the thickest accent.

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Kkk actually that'd be me. Me and him came here the same time. I still have an accent he doesn't.:pachah1: My accent isn't Hindi bad tho.:susp:

I have this weird thing where when I'm around fellow immigrants I talk like them. If I'm around a west Africans fobs I tend to talk like them.:chrisfreshhah::bell:

Bradar did you watch the EPL game :russ: Bradar roasted goat meat is lit :lolbron:

Freebandz

MONEY TEAM
Kkk actually that'd be me. Me and him came here the same time. I still have an accent he doesn't.:pachah1: My accent isn't Hindi bad tho.:susp:

I have this weird thing where when I'm around fellow immigrants I talk like them. If I'm around a west Africans fobs I tend to talk like them.:chrisfreshhah::bell:

Bradar did you watch the EPL game :russ: Bradar roasted goat meat is lit :lolbron:
:ufdup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending