How do you expect the current crop of 2nd generation Somalis will fare into adulthood [serious]

We are an extremely poor refugee community from a large scale african civil war, our parents worked odd jobs and lived under public housing to help us survive, now that we were raised in these environments with sizeable resources, how do you think that we'll fare within these environments? Will we just be bums leeching off of welfare, or will we establish ourselves? As the 2nd generation how we do will have huge ramifications on the rest of the community coming into the west and we have to build something atleast. (I want this to be a serious thread)

Hilmaam

Let him cook
VIP
Probably more educated and working better jobs than previous generations.

I also think more will buy houses and have smaller family sizes and not send much back home. Previous generations had a lot of kids and also sent a lot of their money back home forcing them to live in rough areas with public housing. I do also think many won’t speak somali well and their kids probably will be completely westernized for 3-4th generation

AbdiFreedom

For US occupation of Somalia|Trudeau4Prison
Staff Member
Maybe 1/3 will do well but the rest will have a rough time, even those who are financially well off. Lots of shedding occurring in the first and second generation as they failed to adapt to their new western environment.

Gojo Satoru

Staff Member
I think we'll fare better than the generation that moved to the west in the 90s as children/teens. Growing up I didn't see a lot of somalis going to university and now it's more common. We definitely won't have as many children as our parents since things are very expensive these days. Educated people also tend to get married later in life and there's now way more single/childless somalis in their 30s than even before.

Our stage of immigration to success has sadly coincided with the worst state the economy has been in 50-70 years. It will be harder to maintain a majority of successful diaspora due to the economy but of course it will be a little better than previous gen

Maybe 1/3 will do well but the rest will have a rough time, even those who are financially well off. Lots of shedding occurring in the first and second generation as they failed to adapt to their new western environment.
Why do you think this? As someone from London I think the bulk of Somalis in this city atleast will get decent jobs and live their lives, with only a few involving themselves in nonsense, the way I see it so long as atleast 70% of the populace becomes hardworking respectable citizens we have enough to work with

Not all are actually extremely poor or even refuguee. Many have moved out of public housing and started purchasing homes through investment saving schemes.

I actually shared a few stats and links/studies in a thread that was deleted sometime back ago where i showed how Somalis in the west were making progress on every metric from increasing educational attainment, to entrepreneurial ventures, employment, improving safety and security in their neighborhoods through parent patrols. I don't have the energy/time to collect it all again.
The big discrepencies in employment in the 1st generation is access, because they are highest among American ones where the barrier of entry for employment is lower.

But here is a like a statline that show 2nd generation Scandinavians born to immigrant parents which Somalis are included in : 87,3 percent of them are in education/&or employment vs 89,9% with native born parents.
AaEdYfK.png

Last edited:
Not all are actually extremely poor or even refuguee. Many have moved out of public housing and started purchasing homes through investment saving schemes.

I actually shared a few stats and links/studies in a thread that was deleted sometime back ago where i showed how Somalis in the west were making progress on every metric from increasing educational attainment, to entrepreneurial ventures, employment, improving safety and security in their neighborhoods through parent patrols. I don't have the energy/time to collect it all again.

But here is a like a statline that show 2nd generation Scandinavians born to immigrant parents which Somalis are included in : 87,3 percent of them are in education/&or employment vs 89,9% with native born parents.
AaEdYfK.png
Greatly appreciate this 🙏🏽, is there a link to that thread

Why do you think this? As someone from London I think the bulk of Somalis in this city atleast will get decent jobs and live their lives, with only a few involving themselves in nonsense, the way I see it so long as atleast 70% of the populace becomes hardworking respectable citizens we have enough to work with
There’s statistics from the UK if you want to see.

Just skip to the student age statistics (15-29) you can use them to make an educated guess on what our future will look like

Kisame

Plotting world domination
VIP
Majority of us will turn out fine.

Brokest non bum niggas I know are either truck drivers or have some sort of full time job with an airline.

I know a lot of college educated somalis doing just fine.

Majority of us will turn out fine.

Brokest non bum niggas I know are either truck drivers or have some sort of full time job with an airline.

I know a lot of college educated somalis doing just fine.

Truck drivers actually make a whole lot of money, usually around 100.000k to 200k USD
If they qualify as broke, i'd like to see how much non-broke ones make

I never understood how people bring up Somalis driving a truck to be a neg. Like you said they are actually doing fine and supporting a bunch of people in the process.

Kisame

VIP
Truck drivers actually make a whole lot of money, usually around 100.000k to 200k USD
If they qualify as broke, i'd like to see how much non-broke ones make

I never understood how people bring up Somalis driving a truck to be a neg. Like you said they are actually doing fine and supporting a bunch of people in the process.

It's only owner operators making that much money. Most of the truck drivers I was talking about were dudes that were company drivers making around 40-50k.

Most Somali owner operators are older guys that are 35+. It takes awhile to save up and actually own a truck.

It's only owner operators making that much money. Most of the truck drivers I was talking about were dudes that were company drivers making around 40-50k.

Most Somali owner operators are older guys that are 35+. It takes awhile to save up and actually own a truck.

Company drivers can make 100k at megafleets if they team drive a trainer truck but yeah most solos will earn 50 to 70k

And owner operators can make as much as 25k a month.

Kisame

VIP
Company drivers can make 100k at megafleets if they team drive a trainer truck but yeah most solos will earn 50 to 70k

And owner operators can make as much as 25k a month.
Also ngl I'm a bit of a hater. I don't like seeing Somali niggas under the age of 30 driving trucks. There are better trades out there. Being on the road so often while young could ruin your social life and health.

Leave that shit to uneducated fobs and old men.

Last edited:
Also ngl I'm a bit of a hater. I don't like seeing Somali niggas under the age of 30 driving trucks. There are better grades out there. Being on the road so often while young could ruin your social life and health.

Leave that shit to uneducated fobs and old men.

From what i can tell it mostly is adult immigrants and older ones.
I don't think i know single Somali male that grew up in the qurba become a truck driver or in my extended family. So it's safe to say that's really rare.

I can't even imagine it, you would have to ruin your social life like you said and be away and alone. For the recent ones that arrive and old uncles there is a clear incentive to earn money to support their family or send back home, so its a sacrifice they are willing to make.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts