If you sin, Allah might not answer your dua

Omar del Sur

علم السلف > علم الخلف
VIP
Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali (may Allah have mercy on him) said: It was narrated that ‘Umar Ibn al-Khattaab (may Allah be pleased with him) said: By avoiding that which Allah has forbidden, Allah will accept du’aa’ and tasbeeh. And it was narrated that Abu Dharr (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “The amount of du’aa’ with righteousness that is sufficient is like the amount of salt that is sufficient with food.” And Muhammad ibn Waasi’ said: A little du’aa’ is sufficient with piety.

One of the salaf said: Do not expect a response when you have blocked the way with sins. One of the poets also commented on this by saying:

We call upon Allah for every hardship, then we forget Him when the hardship is relieved.

How can we hope for an answer to our du`as, when we have blocked its way with sins?

Jaami’ al-‘Uloom wa’l-Hukam (1/107, 108).

Omar del Sur

علم السلف > علم الخلف
VIP
btw what i have posted of course is translated from Arabic- and I believe there is an error in the translation...

the original Arabic says وقال بعض السلف : " لا تستبطئ الإجابة وقد سددتَ طرقها بالمعاصي

I underlined بعض. I believe that here it means some- not one. therefore I believe the translation should say "some of the salaf" not "one of the salaf" in the passage below:

"One of the salaf said: Do not expect a response when you have blocked the way with sins. One of the poets also commented on this by saying:"