Imaan & Doubts

Internet Nomad

✪𝙉𝙤𝙤𝙧𝙢𝙖𝙭𝙭𝙞𝙣𝙜✪
What are some ways you keep your imaan high?

How do you deal with doubts?

I don’t even have any particular doubts in particular but i often get the thought how do I know islam is to be guaranteed true? I don’t understand Classical Arabic and Im no Hadith scholar so how could i even be 100 percent certain that Islam is to be true as i can only access a tiny slice of the pie unless I dedicate my life to be a student of knowledge.

Whats some of your undeniable proofs of islam that i can comfort my imaan and say this has to be from god as nobody could come up with this in 7th century Arabia.

I don’t even have any particular doubts in particular but i often get the thought how do I know islam is to be guaranteed true? I don’t understand Classical Arabic and Im no Hadith scholar so how could i even be 100 percent certain that Islam is to be true as i can only access a tiny slice of the pie unless I dedicate my life to be a student of knowledge.

Whats some of your undeniable proofs of islam that i can comfort my imaan and say this has to be from god as nobody could come up with this in 7th century Arabia.
Look into the other traditions, cultures, ect and you'll find out more about them aswell as Islam is just another word from God. If the Prophet (saw) who was a messenger from God says its the truth, then it is the truth. But to raise your iman first you must develop a relationship with Allah. Learn more about Prophet Muhammad (saw) and all the other messengers, and Then everything will be clear to you.

Northern Swordsman

Tawxiid Alle lahaw, Talo na Alle saaro.
First and foremost, what is the reason imaan is dropping?

It's the sins. Reduce your sins and increase good deeds and your imaan shall rise bi'idhnillah.

الإيمان ينقص بالمعصية ويرفع بالمعروف.
"Faith decreases with disobedience and increases with good deeds (obedience)."

Ash-Shafi’i rahimahullah said, “Imaan is speech and action; it increases and decreases.”

Omar del Sur

علم السلف > علم الخلف
VIP
one thing that makes me convinced is this- when you contemplate Quran and Sunnah, as a whole, when you contemplate their teachings.... as a whole...

there is nothing like it. I've read Plato, I've read Kant, I've read Aristotle, I was nominated for president of the philosophy club at my local college- before I became Muslim. I hate philosophy like a person who hates their ex-spouse. I was obsessed with philosophy for years and I wanted to know everything there is to know about it. This is because I quit believing in Christianity when I was 12. Then at 19 I took the shahadah. In that meantime, I was super into philosophy as philosophy sort of replaced Christianity for me (I was a very staunch Christian when I was a child).

Anyways, nothing any of us study from now until we die- none of it will ever be as deep and profound as Quran and Sunnah. You will never find that sort of wisdom anywhere else for as long as you live.

You won't find it in any philosopher or in any other din.

However, the depth to which this is the case- I think it should experienced rather than conveyed. Through the study of Quran and Sunnah, through immersing yourself in Quran and Sunnah, through submerging yourself in Quran and Sunnah- insha'Allah you will attain direct perception of this reality.

Then once you consider that in conjunction with all the other incredible facts about Islam and Prophet Muhammad ﷺ, I believe it becomes clear that Islam is the truth.

The reality is that rejection of Islam is not about some sort of intellectual process towards the truth. The reality is that people reject Islam because of desires. Islam and reasoning and logic all go very well together. But it is people's desires which go against Islam- and so those who disbelieve reject Islam and follow their desires instead.

Omar del Sur

علم السلف > علم الخلف
VIP

It's the sins. Reduce your sins and increase good deeds and your imaan shall rise bi'idhnillah.

Ash-Shafi’i rahimahullah said, “Imaan is speech and action; it increases and decreases.”

I forgot to mention that and I meant to put that before the whole post I wrote. Yes, you are right one hundred percent. One of the most important means of improving and protecting imaan is avoiding sins.

one thing that makes me convinced is this- when you contemplate Quran and Sunnah, as a whole, when you contemplate their teachings.... as a whole...

there is nothing like it. I've read Plato, I've read Kant, I've read Aristotle, I was nominated for president of the philosophy club at my local college- before I became Muslim. I hate philosophy like a person who hates their ex-spouse. I was obsessed with philosophy for years and I wanted to know everything there is to know about it. This is because I quit believing in Christianity when I was 12. Then at 19 I took the shahadah. In that meantime, I was super into philosophy as philosophy sort of replaced Christianity for me (I was a very staunch Christian when I was a child).

Anyways, nothing any of us study from now until we die- none of it will ever be as deep and profound as Quran and Sunnah. You will never find that sort of wisdom anywhere else for as long as you live.

However, the depth to which this is the case- I think it should experienced rather than conveyed. Through the study of Quran and Sunnah, through immersing yourself in Quran and Sunnah, through submerging yourself in Quran and Sunnah- insha'Allah you will attain direct perception of this reality.

Then once you consider that in conjunction with all the other incredible facts about Islam and Prophet Muhammad ﷺ, I believe it becomes clear that Islam is the truth.

The reality is that rejection of Islam is not about some sort of intellectual process towards the truth. The reality is that people reject Islam because of desires. Islam and reasoning and logic all go very well together. But it is people's desires which go against Islam- and so those who disbelieve reject Islam and follow their desires instead.
Still imo the best and most important book out there. You won't find anything like it in the whole world since its the word of Allah.

I think you answered your own question.

“It is only those who have knowledge among His slaves that fear Allaah”

[Faatir 35:28]

btw, have you guys noticed whenever you try to get closer to Allah, Shaydhan starts mental warfare(waswas), if that doesn't work he might just attack you physically, so we can't forget about this hidden enemy also.

While I dont struggle with doubts, I get my kicks out of maths and physics. To not only gaze at the clockwork with our naked eyes, but to also to also have within our means the language that it is inscribed in, to lay bare for ourselves the intricate inner workings, even then, its just a mere fraction of a whole design, we are integrated in.

Some have even used this (physics) as a vehicle for their poetry, to a great effect. But even they pale in comparison to the prose and rhythmic manner, in which the Quran revealed the above matters, long ago.

After that, I also like listening to Quran recitations, sometimes you just need to feel your heart and gut moved. I recently came across this short but captivating recitation of Surat Maryam and I spent hours trying to find its source, in hopes of finding more but have not had any luck so far.

Its of a group of kids in duxi, with the teacher as their conductor.

Now it all makes sense... Wallaal, I am really happy for you.

Internet Nomad

✪𝙉𝙤𝙤𝙧𝙢𝙖𝙭𝙭𝙞𝙣𝙜✪
Thank all of your kind responses in this thread i think my main issue is i watch these muslim vs non-muslim debates. Obviously I believe in the validity of islam but sometimes i see come across ideas which can give doubts. I have dismantled many of them as they are so much resource online that counter these allegations. However this type of content is so common that i find myself watching it. Im just gonna stick to lectures rather than watching meaningless debates which don’t even help my imaan and or worse could damage it.

Thank all of your kind responses in this thread i think my main issue is i watch these muslim vs non-muslim debates. Obviously I believe in the validity of islam but sometimes i see come across ideas which can give doubts. I have dismantled many of them as they are so much resource online that counter these allegations. However this type of content is so common that i find myself watching it. Im just gonna stick to lectures rather than watching meaningless debates which don’t even help my imaan and or worse could damage it.

Its good that you decided to leave this debate stuff alone, you would not be conceding anything either. Its honestly worthless. I have watched one or two, here and there, and I always get the impression of two people talking past each other. The whole thing feels like some sort of contrite E-sports event, for surface level examinations.

There is nothing wrong with wanted to watch debates, if you like watching debates and intellectual stuff, consider switching to other subjects, which tend to have a lot less emotions and more impartiality to them, which is saying something. For example historical Palestine/Israel or Pakistan/India debates etc etc. Which so far, have ample material (Noam Chomsky, Norman Finkelstein, Howard Zinn, Mouin Rabbani and so on).

As a side effect, we are actually learning and are being informed about our frontier struggles.

Last edited:

Northern Swordsman

I forgot to mention that and I meant to put that before the whole post I wrote. Yes, you are right one hundred percent. One of the most important means of improving and protecting imaan is avoiding sins.
But ˹continue to˺ remind.For certainly reminders benefit the believers.

51:55

Don't worry akhi, we're here to remind eachother.

This is actually really true. Many people are constantly delving into bad behavior having their moral threshold to such a wide degree that they don't recognize their small actions and thoughts follow constant moral and ethical breaches and that leaves a big room for weakening fitra. In today's age, even big sins are seen as bad but the average guy lacks the self-awareness to understand that sin is like watching the abyss, that stuff stares back at your soul and affects it. Sin is not only bad conduct, it is bad conduct that changes your moral compass, it is the constant normalization of things you would otherwise not accept mentally in the past, similar to a slow-cooked frog, you don't realize you're being cooked alive. So people need to be very aware that even the things that they think are almost meaningless or small, having this relative lens on, can be the major reasons they transgress big in some cases and also struggle with the deen and imaan later.

I average 4/5 Salahs in the mosque Alhamdulilah there’s one nearby,I also read my adhkar daily I’ve never felt more peace and calm.

There is also the problem of the ego. Philosophy is oftentimes an act of trying to aggrandize your own mind using very sophisticated-seeming jargon. Islam can sometimes be very simple and true while those same people reject it. That is where one has to discern what a person feels which could be subject to shaytans' waswas, and learn to submit to truth. A lot of time one notices that people who struggle with the deen have issues of "character." You can see their conduct in other places and their affinity for certain behavior that constantly shapes their minds in ways that will make it difficult for them to be totally congruent with Islam. Shaytan before he became how he is now was certainly a believer, right? He did not reject truth, he had issues of character: arrogance, disobedience, rebelliousness, etc. These are traits of character, unchecked ego.

Not all, but many people that go through the approach of learning are oftentimes not checking their arrogance. In the veil of "learning," they are growing arrogant or building upon their mental complex. That is why they might accept convoluted, tentative information that might not be true as a sign of exercising ego instead of Islamic truth that might give them what they need, deep meaning but also clear in message.

You see, man. Islam dispels all of our crap and sometimes people depend on constant self-deluded crap mixed in their pursuit and perspective of life. Islam is a constant self-correction and humility. Sometimes one might read something that one even knows is simply the truth but one feels uneasy. That is basically the soul getting its medicine and one has to keep doing it to remove the corruption of the heart. Submission to the truth in front of you is the right path. The idea we have in our heads that what we learn has to conform to our disposition of what "feels" right can be compromised with a lot of corruption in the first place.

Northern Swordsman

This is actually really true. Many people are constantly delving into bad behavior having their moral threshold to such a wide degree that they don't recognize their small actions and thoughts follow constant moral and ethical breaches and that leaves a big room for weakening fitra. In today's age, even big sins are seen as bad but the average guy lacks the self-awareness to understand that sin is like watching the abyss, that stuff stares back at your soul and affects it. Sin is not only bad conduct, it is bad conduct that changes your moral compass, it is the constant normalization of things you would otherwise not accept mentally in the past, similar to a slow-cooked frog, you don't realize you're being cooked alive. So people need to be very aware that even the things that they think are almost meaningless or small, having this relative lens on, can be the major reasons they transgress big in some cases and also struggle with the deen and imaan later.
You pretty much summarised it. We've learned to not recognise how our actions are actually just corrupting us. Sin after sin has been normalised and it takes a toll on your faith without you realising it. You'll realise one day and wonder what happened to my imaan? How is it this low? What caused it? It's our deeds.

This thought process leads me to the hadith of the Prophet (ﷺ), when he said,

"He who believes in Allah and the Last Day must either speak good or remain silent."

Abdullah ibn Mas’ud reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Beware of minor sins. Verily, they pile upon a man until he is ruined.”

Source: Musnad Aḥmad 3808

Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Take up good deeds only as much as you are able, for the best deeds are those done regularly even if they are few.”

Source: Sunan Ibn Mājah 4240

As you realised, minor deeds, bad or good, can have a huge impact on your iman and your akhira.

May Allah strengthen our Iman.

Last edited:
Imaan will fluctuate so i believe it’s okay to have some really high and some low days. I have a baseline that I try to maintain. When I fall short I don’t beat myself up about it anymore as I remember I’m not perfect. It’s important to ask Allah for guidance, repent and keep going.

Maybe focus on perfecting your daily prayers and increasing your remembrance of Allah. Do more istighfar. Could also set aside time to reflect and remember blessings Allah has bestowed you with. If you have other worldly matters that make you neglect your faith, try to lessen them or resolve to cut them out.

Do research on topics that you’re confused on. Research that is from Quran and sunnah and backed by great scholars of Islam. It’s best to not let doubts fester. As soon as you have a doubt, fight against them with clear proofs. You’ll in no time be able to overcome those whispers inshallah. Keep making dua to Allah to give you understanding of Islam and to guide you to the haqq. I’m not sure if it’s related but also work on boosting your self view as in how much you trust yourself and believe in yourself. That could also increase your ability to ignore the waswaas until you no longer have it.

Remembrance of Allah ﷻ and worship. This world is temporary and fleeting, try not to get attached and distracted by its enjoyments. Frequent the Masjids, keep good company and have a routine of daily acts of worship and athkar.

If you have serious doubts there are many Imaams and Sheikhs who are qualified and available to discuss them with you and clear your doubts. We live in a time of fitnah and ideological warfare and this is sadly an existing problem that many religious figures in our community are now equipped to deal with.

You don't have to be extremely knowledgeable to have yaqeen. Remember, most people who historically followed the Prophets and were devout believers who were persecuted and died on their faith were the poor/peasants of society. Most of the noble and affluent people would reject the message and fight to keep the status quo. So belief is not about your education level/knowledge but your heart and ultimately guidance is from Allah ﷻ.

Allah ﷻ says in Surat Al-Hajj, verse 46:

أَفَلَمْ يَسِيرُوا۟ فِى ٱلْأَرْضِ فَتَكُونَ لَهُمْ قُلُوبٌ يَعْقِلُونَ بِهَآ أَوْ ءَاذَانٌ يَسْمَعُونَ بِهَاۖ فَإِنَّهَا لَا تَعْمَى ٱلْأَبْصَٰرُ وَلَٰكِن تَعْمَى ٱلْقُلُوبُ ٱلَّتِى فِى ٱلصُّدُورِ

English - Sahih International

So have they not traveled through the earth and have hearts by which to reason and ears by which to hear? For indeed, it is not eyes that are blinded, but blinded are the hearts which are within the breasts.

Faith is not received through pure logic and reasoning but having a receptive heart and being sincere. You mentioned elsewhere that you listen to a lot of debates and unsurprisingly you haven't experienced an increase in Imaan from it. Try to replace that with listening to beneficial reminders/lectures, tafsir, reflecting over verses of the Qur'an, etc. This is how you increase your Imaan and gain blessings and reward for the time you spend doing so.

I don't know if you are specifically asking for scientific proofs but the biggest proof is the existence of the universe, of life, of us (humans) and our conscious mind. Try to go to places where you can explore and appreciate nature and you will find yourself in awe of the miracle of creation, the beauty and complexity that exists all around you. It will take your breath away. From the soft, delicate petals, colourful and scented, to the thunder, raging fiercely and lighting up the night sky, this is all the work of Allah ﷻ.

When you read the Qur'an you will notice that Allah ﷻ will point towards His creation, instructing us to travel in the land, as a proof of His undeniable existence.

At-Tur 52:35-36

أَمْ خُلِقُوا۟ مِنْ غَيْرِ شَىْءٍ أَمْ هُمُ ٱلْخَٰلِقُونَ

أَمْ خَلَقُوا۟ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلْأَرْضَۚ بَل لَّا يُوقِنُونَ

Or were they created by nothing, or were they the creators [of themselves]?

Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain.

I typed this out and later realised you asked for proofs for Islam specifically and not the existence of Allah ﷻ. Some proofs you can observe for yourself would be the consistency of the Qur'an, which was not written but revealed orally during the time of the Prophet ﷺ over a period of 23 years. There are no contradictions or inconsistencies. There are within it prophecies that came true (like Abu Lahb and his wife dying upon kufr and the victory of the Romans over the Persians after having suffered defeat).

Another would be the character of Prophet ﷺ who was known to be honest and trustworthy, even his enemies would concede this fact. He was not a liar or fabricator. He had exceptional character and lived by and embodied the Qur'an. There were no scandals/secrets being revealed after his death, he had many family members who all loved him and continued to praise him after his ﷺ passing. He was just as exemplary at home among his family as he was in public among the people. You see glimpses of this when you study the Seerah and see how he interacted with people and dealt with difficult situations that would make most people lose their patience. This is the character of a Prophet and not a liar or a madman.

You don't have to become a scholar to appreciate this, but take some time out to learn what you can because the more you learn the more your conviction will grow. You will come across more and more things that will amaze you and affirm your faith.

Lastly, make a lot of du'aa because guidance is from Allah ﷻ. The Prophet ﷺ used to regularly make this du'aa:

يَا مُقَلِّبَ الْقُلُوبِ ثَبِّتْ قَلْبِى عَلَى دِينِكَ

Oh turner of the hearts (Allah, the Most High), keep my heart firm on your religion.

Make this du'aa frequently, and express genuine gratitude for being guided because this is the greatest gift we were given. May Allah ﷻ keep us all firm and steadfast on His deen.

Remembrance of Allah ﷻ and worship. This world is temporary and fleeting, try not to get attached and distracted by its enjoyments. Frequent the Masjids, keep good company and have a routine of daily acts of worship and athkar.

If you have serious doubts there are many Imaams and Sheikhs who are qualified and available to discuss them with you and clear your doubts. We live in a time of fitnah and ideological warfare and this is sadly an existing problem that many religious figures in our community are now equipped to deal with.

You don't have to be extremely knowledgeable to have yaqeen. Remember, most people who historically followed the Prophets and were devout believers who were persecuted and died on their faith were the poor/peasants of society. Most of the noble and affluent people would reject the message and fight to keep the status quo. So belief is not about your education level/knowledge but your heart and ultimately guidance is from Allah ﷻ.

Allah ﷻ says in Surat Al-Hajj, verse 46:

أَفَلَمْ يَسِيرُوا۟ فِى ٱلْأَرْضِ فَتَكُونَ لَهُمْ قُلُوبٌ يَعْقِلُونَ بِهَآ أَوْ ءَاذَانٌ يَسْمَعُونَ بِهَاۖ فَإِنَّهَا لَا تَعْمَى ٱلْأَبْصَٰرُ وَلَٰكِن تَعْمَى ٱلْقُلُوبُ ٱلَّتِى فِى ٱلصُّدُورِ

So have they not traveled through the earth and have hearts by which to reason and ears by which to hear? For indeed, it is not eyes that are blinded, but blinded are the hearts which are within the breasts.

Faith is not received through pure logic and reasoning but having a receptive heart and being sincere. You mentioned elsewhere that you listen to a lot of debates and unsurprisingly you haven't experienced an increase in Imaan from it. Try to replace that with listening to beneficial reminders/lectures, tafsir, reflecting over verses of the Qur'an, etc. This is how you increase your Imaan and gain blessings and reward for the time you spend doing so.

I don't know if you are specifically asking for scientific proofs but the biggest proof is the existence of the universe, of life, of us (humans) and our conscious mind. Try to go to places where you can explore and appreciate nature and you will find yourself in awe of the miracle of creation, the beauty and complexity that exists all around you. It will take your breath away. From the soft, delicate petals, colourful and scented, to the thunder, raging fiercely and lighting up the night sky, this is all the work of Allah ﷻ.

When you read the Qur'an you will notice that Allah ﷻ will point towards His creation, instructing us to travel in the land, as a proof of His undeniable existence.

At-Tur 52:35-36

أَمْ خُلِقُوا۟ مِنْ غَيْرِ شَىْءٍ أَمْ هُمُ ٱلْخَٰلِقُونَ

أَمْ خَلَقُوا۟ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلْأَرْضَۚ بَل لَّا يُوقِنُونَ

Or were they created by nothing, or were they the creators [of themselves]?

Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain.

I typed this out and later realised you asked for proofs for Islam specifically and not the existence of Allah ﷻ. Some proofs you can observe for yourself would be the consistency of the Qur'an, which was not written but revealed orally during the time of the Prophet ﷺ over a period of 23 years. There are no contradictions or inconsistencies. There are within it prophecies that came true (like Abu Lahb and his wife dying upon kufr and the victory of the Romans over the Persians after having suffered defeat).

Another would be the character of Prophet ﷺ who was known to be honest and trustworthy, even his enemies would concede this fact. He was not a liar or fabricator. He had exceptional character and lived by and embodied the Qur'an. There were no scandals/secrets being revealed after his death, he had many family members who all loved him and continued to praise him after his ﷺ passing. He was just as exemplary at home among his family as he was in public among the people. You see glimpses of this when you study the Seerah and see how he interacted with people and dealt with difficult situations that would make most people lose their patience. This is the character of a Prophet and not a liar or a madman.

You don't have to become a scholar to appreciate this, but take some time out to learn what you can because the more you learn the more your conviction will grow. You will come across more and more things that will amaze you and affirm your faith.

Lastly, make a lot of du'aa because guidance is from Allah ﷻ. The Prophet ﷺ used to regularly make this du'aa:

يَا مُقَلِّبَ الْقُلُوبِ ثَبِّتْ قَلْبِى عَلَى دِينِكَ

Oh turner of the hearts (Allah, the Most High), keep my heart firm on your religion.

Make this du'aa frequently, and express genuine gratitude for being guided because this is the greatest gift we were given. May Allah ﷻ keep us all firm and steadfast on His deen.
بارك الله فيك very beneficial post

Trending