Liberia was an apartheid state run by African Americans until 1980.

Americo-Liberians developed as a small elite that held on to political power, and indigenous tribesmen were excluded from birthright citizenship in their own land until 1904, in an echo of the United States' treatment of Native Americans.[9]

, Pioneers Day is controversial because of the historically tense relationship between the so-called “Congoes” (Americo-Liberians, who are 2.5 – 5 percent of Liberia’s total population of 3.5 million) and “country people” (indigenous Liberians). The Americo-Liberian elite’s historical faults are sizeable: denying citizenship to indigenous Liberians until 1904, denying full voting rights until well into the 20th century; one-party oligarchic rule for 133 years; lack of property rights, and forced labor which “prompted a League of Nations investigation”:http://library.lawschool.cornell.edu/WhatWeHave/SpecialCollections/LiberianLaw/Slavery.cfm; and poor leadership focused more on nepotism and kleptocracy than producing wealth to develop the country.

Doe abruptly ended 133 years of Americo-Liberian political domination. Some hailed the coup as the first time since Liberia's establishment as a country that it was governed by people of native African descent instead of by the Americo-Liberian elite. Other persons without Americo-Liberian heritage had held the Vice Presidency (Henry Too Wesley), as well as Ministerial and Legislative positions in years prior. Many people welcomed Doe's takeover as a shift favoring the majority of the population that had largely been excluded from participation in government since the establishment of the country.

Last edited:

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
If it was an Apartheid state then why were many Liberians in support of Charles Taylor who had links with the old elite?

I read this book that did a comparative study on Somalia and Liberia, it's an interesting perspective. It's called "Clausewitz and African War: Politics and Strategy in Liberia and Somalia"

20200531_003452.jpg

20200531_003426.jpg

AishaBarri

It’s not that serious
I find it interesting how AAs left America because of being mistreated but went ahead and did the same to Liberians

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
I find it interesting how AAs left America because of being mistreated but went ahead and did the same to Liberians

I studied this phenomenon for a while now. Each time I read the history of Americo-Liberians I’m just baffled. It was President Monroe who set them free from slavery and put them on a ship to a land purchased for them by the US only for them to be oppressors of their own kind.

btw Samuel Doe was overthrown by these same Americo-Liberians. They tortured him to death. They even fed him his penis before finishing him off

AishaBarri

It’s not that serious
I studied this phenomenon for a while now. Each time I read the history of Americo-Liberians I’m just baffled. It was President Monroe who set them free from slavery and put them on a ship to a land purchased for them by the US only for them to be oppressors of their own kind.

btw Samuel Doe was overthrown by these same Americo-Liberians. They tortured him to death. They even fed him his penis before finishing him off
Oppressed turned oppressor. To be fair tho they lost that culture so probably saw the natives as different people. White Americans did a number on them :zhqjlmx: