Marriages back then

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
One of my maternal ancestors who was a famed warrior apparently threatened his way into marrying his wife. If I recall the story correctly, he killed one of her brothers in battle then threatened her father and his only remaining son and heir with death as well if her father did not hand over his daughter for marriage. This ancestor's reer were influential in the area and were skilled horseriding warriors and the father knew he couldn't really call for the help of other tribes against this man so he conceded and gave her up.

One of my maternal ancestors who was a famed warrior apparently threatened his way into marrying his wife. If I recall the story correctly, he killed one of her brothers in battle then threatened her father and his only remaining son and heir with death as well if her father did not hand over his daughter for marriage. This ancestor's reer were influential in the area and were skilled horseriding warriors and the father knew he couldn't really call for the help of other tribes against this man so he conceded and gave her up.
wow, how did u get to know that?

Nah, that only occurs when the girl is waaay to xaax to be avoided. The sexual frustrated geeljire would kidnap the girl and forcefully marry her via unlawful techniques.

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
My father told me back in the days in Somalia men use to kidnap women and forecablly marry them.

Yes, or the young couple would run away together.

It still happens to this day, especially among gypsies in eastern Europe.

Heck they would even kidnap ethnic white children in eastern Europe.

If you were mischivous as a kid, your parents would threaten you with saying that the gypsies would kidnap you. And you would believe it and stay in your lane.

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
Yes I heard this happened though slightly differently, more like the couple wanted to wed but the parents were against it. So they would elope to another city, get married, and then return. By then they would have slept together, the girl may even be pregnant. So the parents could either accept the marriage or make their daughter a divorcee/single mum.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Yes I heard this happened though slightly differently, more like the couple wanted to wed but the parents were against it. So they would elope to another city, get married, and then return. By then they would have slept together, the girl may even be pregnant. So the parents could either accept the marriage or make their daughter a divorcee/single mum.

Makes sense as to why there are bits in Xeer (traditional Somali law) pertaining to elopement. Seems there were more love marriages in our past than folks realize.

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
Makes sense as to why there are bits in Xeer (traditional Somali law) pertaining to elopement. Seems there were more love marriages in our past than folks realize.

Yes, I’d wager that most marriages were consensual between the couple.
I feel like this thing of forced marriages at the age of 13 is imported from the Middle East by select few who think imitating Arabs = being religious.

Trending