Native word for mosque

Northern Swordsman

Tawxiid Alle lahaw, Talo na Alle saaro.
SmartSelect_20240602_192118_Drive.jpg

Mawlac is the native word for Masaajid/Masjid.

Northern Swordsman

I doubt that and id on't think that word even exists in our tongue
Why do you doubt it?

It is attested in the somali dictionary as well in Suugaanteena.

Here more from somali dictionaries
SmartSelect_20240602_203523_Drive.jpg

And this one Mawlac = Mowlac
SmartSelect_20240602_203641_Drive.jpg

From our literature (Suugaanteena)

Gabay: Macaan iyo Qadhaadh
By: Ahmad Ismail Dirie (Qasim)

SmartSelect_20240602_204259_Drive.jpg

Translation:

Sometimes I seem a learned man of God. Who retreats in ascetic zeal to a seclude sanctuary.

Translation by: Abdi Shotaly

Last edited:
It seems like cushitic lanaguges all have a word for scared spaces/temples. There is a paper in jstor that I read about gabre oromos and it talks about their ritual beliefs. It even mentions how they basically have an aqal which is basically only for rituals and ritual experts.

Periplus

Min Al-Nahr ila Al-Ba7r
VIP
You dont need a somali counterpart for everything, Never heard mawlac in my life

I agree with the first part but mawlac is an everyday word in the Somali language.

It doesnโ€™t mean mosque though, it means a small prayer area like a prayer room or musallah.

CanoGeel

"Show respect to all people, but grovel to none"
It seems like cushitic lanaguges all have a word for scared spaces/temples. There is a paper in jstor that I read about gabre oromos and it talks about their ritual beliefs. It even mentions how they basically have an aqal which is basically only for rituals and ritual experts.
PFfffffffff! First of all, Gabre people are not Oromos so fix your misnomer.

View attachment 330602

Mawlac is the native word for Masaajid/Masjid.
I do not agree with you on this opinion.
I believe the Somali word "Mawlac ู…ูŽูˆู’ู„ูŽุนู’" comes from the Arabic word " mawแธic ู…ูŽูˆู’ุถูุน ".

Noun of place "ุฅุณู… ู…ูƒุงู† " from the Arabic verb ูˆูŽุถูŽุนูŽ (waแธaca) which means : โ€œ to put โ€ .
Noun of place "ุฅุณู… ู…ูƒุงู†" is a noun derived from the verb to indicate the place where the action occurred.
verbal noun : A noun formed from a verb.

The Arabic letter แธฤd ( ุถ ) is often transformed into the letter lฤm ( ู„ ) in the Somali language.
For example :
The Arabic word ุฑูŽุงุถููŠ ( rฤแธฤซ ) is equivalent in the Somali language to the word ( raalli ) ุฑูŽุงู„ููŠ .
The Arabic word ุฑูŽุงุถููŠ ( rฤแธฤซ ) means : pleased, satisfied.
The Somali word ( raalli ) ุฑูŽุงู„ููŠ means : satisfaction, being
pleased with .

m + waแธac ( w-แธ-c ) โ†’ mawแธic โ†’ mawlac
ู…ูŽ + ูˆูŽุถูŽุนูŽ โ† ู…ูŽูˆู’ุถูุน โ† ู…ูŽูˆู’ู„ูŽุนู’

The Arabic mawแธic ( ู…ูŽูˆู’ุถูุน ) means: position, place, therefore the Somali mawlac ( ู…ูŽูˆู’ู„ูŽุนู’ ) indicates the place of worship .

There is another explanation that might be more convincing than the previous one.

In the Arabic word ( muแนฃalla ) ู…ูุตูŽู„ู’ู„ูŽู‰ ( ู…ูุตูŽู„ู‹ู‘ู‰ ) there are two letters
lฤms ( ู„ ) .​

The letter แนฃad ( ุต ) was removed , while the first letter lฤm ( ู„ ) was kept , but the second letter lฤm ( ู„ ) was changed to the letter ayn / cayn ( ุน ) .

ู…ูุตูŽู„ู‹ู‘ู‰ / ู…ูุตูŽู„ู’ู„ูŽู‰ ( muแนฃalla ) is a Noun of place " ุฅุณู… ู…ูƒุงู† " from the Arabic verb แนฃallฤ ุตูŽู„ูŽู‘ู‰ / ุตูŽู„ู’ู„ูŽู‰ ( to pray ) .
while in Aramaic Language ืฆืœื ( แนฃalรฆ) means :
to pray, to worship.
to bend down (to pray) .

m + แนฃallฤ โ†’ muแนฃalla โ†’ after the letter แนฃad (ุต) omitted โ†’ mawlac

ุตูŽู„ูŽู‘ู‰ ( ุตูŽู„ู’ู„ูŽู‰ ) โ† ู…ูุตูŽู„ู‹ู‘ู‰ ( ู…ูุตูŽู„ู’ู„ูŽู‰ ) โ† ู…ููˆุตูŽู„ู‹ู‘ู‰ ( ู…ููˆุตูŽู„ู’ู„ูŽู‰ ) โ† ู…ูŽูˆู’ู„ูŽุนู’

The Arabic muแนฃalla ( ู…ูุตูŽู„ู‹ู‘ู‰ / ู…ููˆุตูŽู„ู’ู„ูŽู‰ ) means: a place of prayer ,
therefore the Somali mawlac (
ู…ูŽูˆู’ู„ูŽุนู’ ) indicates the place of worship .

Northern Swordsman

I do not agree with you on this opinion.
I believe the Somali word "Mawlac ู…ูŽูˆู’ู„ูŽุนู’" comes from the Arabic word " mawแธic ู…ูŽูˆู’ุถูุน ".

Noun of place "ุฅุณู… ู…ูƒุงู† " from the Arabic verb ูˆูŽุถูŽุนูŽ (waแธaca) which means : โ€œ to put โ€ .
Noun of place "ุฅุณู… ู…ูƒุงู†" is a noun derived from the verb to indicate the place where the action occurred.
verbal noun : A noun formed from a verb.

The Arabic letter แธฤd ( ุถ ) is often transformed into the letter lฤm ( ู„ ) in the Somali language.
For example :
The Arabic word ุฑูŽุงุถููŠ ( rฤแธฤซ ) is equivalent in the Somali language to the word ( raalli ) ุฑูŽุงู„ููŠ .
The Arabic word ุฑูŽุงุถููŠ ( rฤแธฤซ ) means : pleased, satisfied.
The Somali word ( raalli ) ุฑูŽุงู„ููŠ means : satisfaction, being
pleased with .

m + waแธac ( w-แธ-c ) โ†’ mawแธic โ†’ mawlac
ู…ูŽ + ูˆูŽุถูŽุนูŽ โ† ู…ูŽูˆู’ุถูุน โ† ู…ูŽูˆู’ู„ูŽุนู’

The Arabic mawแธic ( ู…ูŽูˆู’ุถูุน ) means: position, place, therefore the Somali mawlac ( ู…ูŽูˆู’ู„ูŽุนู’ ) indicates the place of worship .

You might really have a point here.

Why you may ask?

The Somali language tends to change arabic ุถ into ู„ (somali 'la')

Example:

Arabic ุถุฏ becomes somali lid/liddi
Arabic ุฑุงุถูŠ becomes somali raali
Arabic ู‚ุงุถูŠ becomes somali qaalli

This is attested as early loanwords from Ancient South Arabic (such as Sabaic, Qatabanian and Himyarite) .

Thanks for pointing this out.

Trending