Philosopher of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.

waraabe

Your superior
This is my mini series in which I will be discussing the theories of humanities greatest thinkers. I will be mentioning those who I find very interesting.

This week I will touch on the arguments of Thomas Hobbes, the greatest English philosopher.

Hobbes says that before states and sovereign authorities, people operate in a state of nature which essentially is a free for all, your aim is self preservation. This means you fight for resources, glory, difference (violence from insecurity - mistrust leads to pre emetive strike for example)

So humans come into an agreement to hand over their right and power to self preserve to a supreme authority (sovereign- such as king, council of leaders etc) this brings peace and stability which lead to all the benefits we get from society.

Here is were he is very controversial, he argues strongly for absolute sovereign (the sovereign has absolutely all the power, the right to rule and the subject has the duty to follow). He says the sovereign must destroy anyone not submitting to his will because the greater good overrides everything (peace under oppression is better then freedom in a chaotic world - use somalia before and after siyaad)

He is in essence advocating for totalitarian rule. Before you get your nigis/kastumo in a twist, let's explore the context in which this was written he is witnessing the English civil war which parliament fights the king, similarly there are many wars going in in Europe. he is sick and tired of war.

He does say that if your life is in danger then you and only you must take measures to save yourself. No revolutions, etc involving groups of people.

Discuss, was he valid in his assessment. With the rise of liberal democracy, can we dismiss his theory??

Thomas Hobbes was an Oxford grad from a poor family, he spent his time with a Duke who Hobbes used to teach his kids. That is where he wrote this book Leviathan. Read it, use new version as the old one is written in old English. For example warre is war. Hehehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.