Puntland wants to reinstate arms embargo

They’re right lol. You see how central Somalia is chimping out . Just yesterday they stole some weapons and people on here were for some reason happy about it
The only reason they were happy is because they believe the weapons were heading to a hostile clan that would turn those weapons on them.
Would those weapons still be heading into the country if the embargo was never lifted? I think so, because it was all small arms.

Last edited:

Avalanche

Guul iyo Gobanimo
VIP
The only reason they were happy is because they believe the weapons were heading to a hostile clan that would turn those weapons on them.
Would those weapons still be heading into the country if the embargo was never lifted? I think so, because it was all small arms
Yeah it were all small arms and not any of the advanced equipment that Somalia has yet to buy. This weapons that were sized in Cabuudwaaq would probably happen even with arms embargo

Periplus

Min Al-Nahr ila Al-Ba7r
VIP
They have a point but that isn’t the only reason for their support.

Somalia being outside the restrictions of the arms embargo places a military gap between the FGS and FMS that grows daily. The SNA is getting planes, tanks, ships, meanwhile the FMS are still being given light arms.

This gives the FGS are power advantage that isn’t favourable to FMS that sit outside the fold like PL.

IKHALIIL

Suldhaanka
The day we see baadiyo battles involving flying technicals is the day reinstating the arms embargo should be considered.

They have a point but that isn’t the only reason for their support.

Somalia being outside the restrictions of the arms embargo places a military gap between the FGS and FMS that grows daily. The SNA is getting planes, tanks, ships, meanwhile the FMS are still being given light arms.

This gives the FGS are power advantage that isn’t favourable to FMS that sit outside the fold like PL.
Why would FMS’s have the same access or privileges to arms that a central government has? That’s not have governance works.

Periplus

Min Al-Nahr ila Al-Ba7r
VIP
Why would FMS’s have the same access or privileges to arms that a central government has? That’s not have governance works.

Yes they would not. Therefore, if you regularly find yourself on the other side of the FGS, it is in your interest to be on a similar footing militarily as to not be strong-armed.

The cold world of realpolitik.

Yes they would not. Therefore, if you regularly find yourself on the other side of the FGS, it is in your interest to be on a similar footing militarily as to not be strong-armed.

The cold world of realpolitik.
Puntland was against lifting the arms embargo and debt relief yet it still happened. Doubt anyone would listen to them asking for reinstatement of embargo now.

Periplus

Min Al-Nahr ila Al-Ba7r
VIP
Puntland was against lifting the arms embargo and debt relief yet it still happened. Doubt anyone would listen to them asking for reinstatement of embargo now.

I am not addressing whether or not it will eventuate. I am addressing their reasons for holding this position.

Periplus

Min Al-Nahr ila Al-Ba7r
VIP
The reasoning you gave indirectly says it is not in the interest of the Puntland administration for there to be a strong government because they want to be on equal footing with the fgs. Therefore they are against a FGS that is better equipped and not on a similar footing militarily.

In summary, going along with the reasons you gave, their intention is to be state spoilers?

If Puntland wants to oppose the FGS consistently, then there is no interest in them having a strong FGS.

A strong FGS just means that each time PL disagrees with them, they’ll get forced to agree and any semblance of “sovereignty” will be continually stripped until they’re a pseudo-region like SWS or KG.

As for whether they intend to be state spoilers, I don’t think the PL admin is that sinister. I think the actual objective is that they oppose HSM having access to modern weaponry due to his history of finding clan conflicts to achieve his domestic objectives.

I think Puntland will be in favour of a strong FGS when a friendly administration comes in, however, in my opinion, that may never happen even if the president comes from PL themselves.

What happened in cabuudwaaq is a violation of the embargo as well as what happened during the war on AS. Against AS during the massacres, their military equipment would often get looted by clans & AS alike. If IC digs deep enough there is reason for them to reinstate the embargo.

Don’t want it to be lifted, but if FGS is sending arms from Ethiopia to clans that will harm Somalis for their interests or for the purpose of indirectly arming terrorists. Then arms embargo should stay.

Trending

Latest posts