Qaraami

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
What’s your favourite qaraami song - share the link and the lyrics that hit different.

Mine is Kinsi Xaaji Aadan - waa yaabanee.
waa yaabanee Siduu iigu yimi yax ma idhi jaceyl yarow aragtida. 😩

Last edited:

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP
Not sure if it fits qaraami exactly but this one slaps

So does this

Last edited:

QueenofKings

I don't listen to music anymore but my Jam used to be shay mire kaban, don't remember the title.

What a legend! I don’t know the song name but I like the song with the chorus
Xaakim waa ilaahay
Xagisaan xigsanayaa
Adneh goysay xadhigii
Ileen dumar xis malahee

a bit mean to the sisters but that woman put him through it 😆.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

cLKaa2L.gif

Last edited:

QueenofKings

I thought I saw a question on here about what qualifies as qaraami,

I’m not really sure what the strict criteria is. But we can say qaraami songs are songs which:
  1. Heavily feature the Kaban - played in a distinctive style ( I don’t know the formal name but you can recognise a Somali Kaban melody from a mile right)
  2. Kaban is often accompanied by Durban and not many other instruments.
  3. Lyrics are usually (but not always), based on: poems, heelo, or based on folk stories
I don’t think time is such a big factor because there’s qaraami songs from the 70s and 80s, which were contemporaries to Somali disco and pop. There’s also old songs from the 50s and 60s which don’t sound like qaraami because they heavily feature string instruments which gives them a more Middle Eastern ballad quality.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I thought I saw a question on here about what qualifies as qaraami,

I’m not really sure what the strict criteria is. But we can say qaraami songs are songs which:
  1. Heavily feature the Kaban - played in a distinctive style ( I don’t know the formal name but you can recognise a Somali Kaban melody from a mile right)
  2. Kaban is often accompanied by Durban and not many other instruments.
  3. Lyrics are usually (but not always), based on: poems, heelo, or based on folk stories
I don’t think time is such a big factor because there’s qaraami songs from the 70s and 80s, which were contemporaries to Somali disco and pop. There’s also old songs from the 50s and 60s which don’t sound like qaraami because they heavily feature string instruments which gives them a more Middle Eastern ballad quality.

Thanks for the info.

I've always wondered how songs are classified as qarami or not qarami 🙃