Saudi Arabia signals end of tax-free living as oil revenues slump

Status
Not open for further replies.
FyKmpG.gif

Tax-free living will soon be a thing of the past for Saudis after its cabinet on Monday approved an IMF-backed value-added tax to be imposed across the Gulf following an oil slump.

A 5% levy will apply to certain goods following an agreement with the six-member Gulf Cooperation Council in June last year.

Residents of the energy-rich region had long enjoyed a tax-free and heavily subsidised existence but the collapse in crude prices since 2014 sparked cutbacks and a search for new revenue.

Saudi Arabia is the world’s biggest oil exporter and the largest economy in the Arab region. It froze major building projects, cut cabinet ministers’ salaries and imposed a wage freeze on civil servants to cope with last year’s record budget deficit of $97bn. It also made unprecedented cuts to fuel and utilities subsidies.

The kingdom is broadening its investment base and boosting other non-oil income as part of economic diversification efforts and aims to balance its budget by 2020.

The cabinet “decided to approve the unified agreement for value-added tax” to be implemented throughout the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), the official Saudi Press Agency said. “A royal decree has been prepared,” it said.

The move is in line with an International Monetary Fund recommendation for Gulf states to impose revenue-raising measures including excise and value-added taxes to help their adjustment to lower crude prices which have slowed regional growth.

The GCC countries have already agreed to implement selective taxes on tobacco, and soft and energy drinks this year.

:camby:

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
Their oil is set to run out in 90 years and since the world is moving toward alternative energy what will these fat xoolos do?

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
Interesting @LarryThePuntite

Another interesting thing I just read on Wikipedia:

"Saudi Arabia's command economy is petroleum-based; roughly 75% of budget revenues and 90% of export earnings come from the oil industry. It is strongly dependent on foreign workers with about 80% of those employed in the private sector being non-Saudi."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia

If this is true, what hell do the Saudis do? Does the state redistribute the wealth in the form of welfare?

Interesting @LarryThePuntite

Another interesting thing I just read on Wikipedia:

"Saudi Arabia's command economy is petroleum-based; roughly 75% of budget revenues and 90% of export earnings come from the oil industry. It is strongly dependent on foreign workers with about 80% of those employed in the private sector being non-Saudi."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia

If this is true, what hell do the Saudis do? Does the state redistribute the wealth in the form of welfare?

PWC is running a massive Audit for the country to help cut costs, this is another critical job many Saudis can't do. Outsourcing has destroyed Saudi culture.

Laziness has costed the GCC billions. Auditor finding have shown extended vacations and people not working but getting paid in many public sector jobs.

Waa Daabalnimo. The whole country operates on welfare. It's very interesting to see how Saudi Arabia will try and change this; because Somalis have imported this laziness.

I worked in Saudi for a while, there is nothing worse then millions of entitled inbred useless eaters getting an almighty shock to their system.

I remember meeting a Somali teacher over there, I was told most of the times classes are cancelled because no one attends, the Saudi house pours in the money and has the right intentions to empower it's people, but it doesn't have the people.

They were so useless even it's small group of foreign professionals, that the company I worked for in Europe at that time flew me and other contractors to the place for basic but emergency stuff, when the boss over their found out I spoke Arabic, he wanted me to stay over and teach the locals.

They especially love hiring Somali's that speak Arabic and are skilled from Europe, but prosperity breeds idiot, and they are filled with them, dudes are paying 100k Mehr for useless wife's that need maids to cook/clean and pick up the children from school, even their female's are useless.

TheLibertarianQuiche

Quintessentially negroid: Your problem?
Lol in 2020 when the oil is mined, we will become like this because people will buy the lands where oil will be mined and they'll sell it off and recieve oil profits.

Cukaash

"WE WUZ BOQORTOOYO" KARBASHER.
FyKmpG.gif

Tax-free living will soon be a thing of the past for Saudis after its cabinet on Monday approved an IMF-backed value-added tax to be imposed across the Gulf following an oil slump.

A 5% levy will apply to certain goods following an agreement with the six-member Gulf Cooperation Council in June last year.

Residents of the energy-rich region had long enjoyed a tax-free and heavily subsidised existence but the collapse in crude prices since 2014 sparked cutbacks and a search for new revenue.

Saudi Arabia is the world’s biggest oil exporter and the largest economy in the Arab region. It froze major building projects, cut cabinet ministers’ salaries and imposed a wage freeze on civil servants to cope with last year’s record budget deficit of $97bn. It also made unprecedented cuts to fuel and utilities subsidies.

The kingdom is broadening its investment base and boosting other non-oil income as part of economic diversification efforts and aims to balance its budget by 2020.

The cabinet “decided to approve the unified agreement for value-added tax” to be implemented throughout the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), the official Saudi Press Agency said. “A royal decree has been prepared,” it said.

The move is in line with an International Monetary Fund recommendation for Gulf states to impose revenue-raising measures including excise and value-added taxes to help their adjustment to lower crude prices which have slowed regional growth.

The GCC countries have already agreed to implement selective taxes on tobacco, and soft and energy drinks this year.

:camby:
Mid kaas uusta buuran ma sacudian miyaa?
:chrisfreshhah:

Cukaash

"WE WUZ BOQORTOOYO" KARBASHER.
UUSKIISA LAA GOYAY
Wallahi my awoowe went to hajj last year and he said wallahi saudi people arent half the people somali people are.
The country is driven by ajnabi south asians and foreign people while saudis are lazy fucks.
Its a shame Allah blessed their Land but the people are bakhti.

Status
Not open for further replies.