Scientists predict drier Horn of Africa as climate warms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
The Horn of Africa is becoming drier in step with global warming, researchers said on Friday, contradicting some climate models predicting rainier weather patterns in a region that has suffered frequent food crises linked to drought.

A new study using a sediment core extracted from the Gulf of Aden found the East African region covering Somalia, Djibouti and Ethiopia has dried at an unusually fast rate over the past century.

Lead author Jessica Tierney, an associate professor at the University of Arizona, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation the research team was confident the drying was linked to rising emissions of climate-changing greenhouse gases, and was expected to continue as the region heats up further.

"If the region becomes dry, like we think it might get, that completely changes your models for food security and agriculture," she said.

Study co-author Peter deMenocal of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory warned that many aid groups are expecting "a wetter, greener future for the Horn of Africa". But the new findings show "the exact opposite is occurring".

The study could have important implications for a region that has suffered political instability and violence alongside regular droughts and hunger in recent decades, forcing people from their homes and fuelling piracy on the seas off Somalia.

The scientists used isotopes from leaf waxes found in the 1-metre sediment sample from the ocean bed - extracted while dodging Somali pirates in 2001 - to compare rates of drying over the past 2,000 years.

When the climate is drier, leaf waxes are more enriched with heavy hydrogen isotopes. The scientists detected an increasing shift towards heavy hydrogen in the last century as the climate dried out after a wet period during the Little Ice Age from 1450-1850.

"What we see in the paleoclimate record from the last 2,000 years is evidence that the Horn of Africa is drier when there are warm conditions on Earth, and wetter when it is colder," Tierney said.

Global-scale models used to predict future changes have suggested the region would become wetter due to higher rainfall in the "short rains" season from September to November.

But the new study, published in Science Advances, said those gains may be offset by declining rainfall during the "long rains" season from March to May, on which local rain-fed agriculture relies.

Tierney said the findings would increase uncertainty around climate predictions now, but should help build a more accurate picture in the longer run.

More work is needed to develop finer-resolution regional models that can more accurately predict precipitation shifts in both rainy seasons, as well as to clarify the link between greenhouse gas emissions and drying, she said.

mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0S328K20151009

:i83dwbv:

We should have a place on the site where articles can be linked like this one. But who has the time to find all the relevant Somali news articles of the day/week.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
This proves that nomadic pastoralism is on its last legs. Somalis need to adapt or they will die.

For all the Somalis who get gleeful at their tuulo getting 10mm more rain than the enemy qabils tuulo, climate change will change the entire region. :axvmm9o:

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
This means that urbanization will have to increase quite a lot. Rainfed agriculture, which is already iffy, will no doubt become impossible if this report is true. I expect huge migrations from places like Bay&Bakool into the riverine regions. Very disappointing news, everyone though the Horn would actually benefit from climate change.

R

rcv

Lead author Jessica Tierney, an associate professor at the University of Arizona, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation the research team was confident the drying was linked to rising emissions of climate-changing greenhouse gases, and was expected to continue as the region heats up further.

@Geeljire
lool I wonder if this wud change Ben Carsons mind on climate change being influenced by humans.

But seriously on the grand scale of things, this type of climate change is absolutely neglible. Nature always balances it self out. If Earth survived the extinction of dinosaurs , which extended beyond dinosaurs and onto most life forms because of thr lack of sunlight and photosynthesis, it can survive this. So I see his point but he's still a retard for not thinking thst humans are causing climate change when there's so much empirical evidence

R

rcv

Lool I guess you're right. I wasn't really keeping my comment in context to the original post. I was just referencing another thread about a American presidential candidate that has some weird views. My main point was that humans are just a tiny blimp when you look at life on earth. Earth did a complete 360 and restarted life after almost everything was destroyed. Basically what I'm tryna say is climate change will only affect humans, not earth. If we f*ck up our planet we will all die and the planet will just restart and another dominant species will rise.

@Geeljire
lool I wonder if this wud change Ben Carsons mind on climate change being influenced by humans.

But seriously on the grand scale of things, this type of climate change is absolutely neglible. Nature always balances it self out. If Earth survived the extinction of dinosaurs , which extended beyond dinosaurs and onto most life forms because of thr lack of sunlight and photosynthesis, it can survive this. So I see his point but he's still a retard for not thinking thst humans are causing climate change when there's so much empirical evidence

Look saaxiib i dont know much about climate change tbh. If you want to, take this up with Ben Carson. I only made that thread highlighting how liberals freaking hate this guy and how he drives them completely insane & unreasonable.

I just find that funny. One thing i do know all his comments and what he says is always misconstrued and taken out of context. Probably didnt say or meant what all those liberal media outlets are reporting. The media just misrepresent peoples views which whom they disagree with , to push some sort of narrative, in this case that he is stupid.

Fish farming is the way to go for food security. Somalis have huge coastline which
they can capture fish from and breed it in their villages.

Fish farming is the way to go for food security. Somalis have huge coastline which
they can capture fish from and breed it in their villages.

Too bad only Harti's fish and eat fish lots of it factories and many communities. beyond puntland and somalialand the coast is vacant. No fishers except for bantus who take advantage.

Maybe we can export some MJs and Warsangeli to the south and central somalia & build fishing communities.
only 2% somali waters is utilized and fish stolen from our shores in the 100s of million dollars.

R

rcv

@Geeljire I just rmembered, there are actullay some pretty modern and creative irrigation techniques to use on farms that receive little rainfall. I'm almost done work but I'll post some pics to show u what I mean when i get home

It would actullay be effective but somalis are too reer badiye to implement something like that

@Geeljire I just rmembered, there are actullay some pretty advanced and creative irrigation techniques to use on farms that receive little rainfall. I'm almost done work but I'll post some pics to show u what I mean. It would actullay be effective but somalis are too reer badiye to implement something like that

Great!:)

but first have a look at the progress they have made in bosaso when it comes to farming. Perhaps they have implemented some of these techniques you speak of already in some places.

Bosaso

100 acre farms in the western half of the city. They grow tomatoes, limes, dates, carrots, and other vegetables and fruits. The farms in Bosaso are the largest in Somalia north of Hiiraan and it took 5 years to get this far, and they continue to grow. These farms are now almost half the size of the city itself and today there is no food aid in Bosaso because everything is grown locally.

2006, Barren

25k0yv6.jpg

2011, surrounded by farms
2zsy7o4.jpg

i made a thread about this in the development section

http://www.somalispot.com/threads/beeraha-soomaaliya-agricultural-farming-in-somalia.835/

S

Shamis

@Geeljire thanks for the Bosaso before and after post. Just goes to show that anything is possible if you get beyond fatalism and just get to work. Kudos to those farmers.

Last edited by a moderator:
This proves that nomadic pastoralism is on its last legs. Somalis need to adapt or they will die.

For all the Somalis who get gleeful at their tuulo getting 10mm more rain than the enemy qabils tuulo, climate change will change the entire region. :axvmm9o:

Is that what Puntland keeps telling itself?

LittleNileRiver

Keepin Southies in check since 1998

but first have a look at the progress they have made in bosaso when it comes to farming. Perhaps they have implemented some of these techniques you speak of already in some places.

Bosaso

100 acre farms in the western half of the city. They grow tomatoes, limes, dates, carrots, and other vegetables and fruits. The farms in Bosaso are the largest in Somalia north of Hiiraan and it took 5 years to get this far, and they continue to grow. These farms are now almost half the size of the city itself and today there is no food aid in Bosaso because everything is grown locally.

2006, Barren

25k0yv6.jpg

2zsy7o4.jpg

http://www.somalispot.com/threads/beeraha-soomaaliya-agricultural-farming-in-somalia.835/
Puntlanders making their deserts bloom. obamadatazz

R

rcv

Bosaso

2006, Barren

25k0yv6.jpg

2zsy7o4.jpg

Wow nice. Yeah no doubt they used good irrigation techniques. It's actually common knowledge among farmers, I was just talking shit when I said Somalis probably aren't going to implement it. Here are some of the most popular ones, maybe they use some of these.

1024px-SiphonTubes.JPG

irdrip.jpg

^That's my favourite type. My neighbour uses this one and it's very effective because small holes let only enough water to seep out to reach the roots and stems. You save a lot of water to evaporation. This would be nice for areas in Africa where water is scarce.

Y35pYyS.png

BUT the thing is, I think the degradation of soil is MUCH MUCH more important than worrying about dryness. You can overcome dryness through irrigation, but if your soil is fucked then there really isn't much to do.

f4s8ndc.png

Another huge problem farmers face is salinization. So even if they overcome dryness and construct efficient irrigation techniques, they still face the danger of salinization. For us it's even worse, because we live right beside the sea. There's a lot of waterways, streams, and rivers in Somalia that connect straight to the ocean. Salinization sucks because it prevents the plant from growing cuz it limits how they are able to take up water (through osmosis).
r4082e40.gif

I know it happens a lot in Somalia because where I'm from (Nugaal) we have a lot of water paths and drainage beds that go DIRECTLY into the sea. That's atrocious for farmers and my uncle who's a farmer always struggles to get near 60% yield because of this heavy salinization.

0krr0Pw.png

It's not just Nugaal that faces this problem, it's almost all of Somalia. Salinization is a huge concern in a a lot of African farming lands because a lot of us African's don't have the technology to overcome Salinization

Om0C9ph.png

Of course, everything I jus said plus the article @Duchess linked is just going to f*ck over so many Somali farmers in the future, because our farming potential wasn't that great to begin with.

Sources:

My neighbourhood:

oLgd22I.jpg

https://books.google.ca/books?id=CSyD4HiIrjUC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=salinization somalia&source=bl&ots=moPlqNuHgw&sig=WUac-Lu8uXE3GbqR8oLDQ8ZKZiI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAWoVChMI_ayAg_e4yAIVjLIeCh26IQDD#v=onepage&q=salinization somalia&f=false

http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/user_upload/GSP/docs/South_east_partnership/Somalia.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.