Sikh man gets his drunk driving charge thrown out because his feelings were hurt by cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...ops-over-three-hours-to-return-drivers-turban

An Ontario judge has dismissed charges against a Sikh man who was found to be driving with an excessive blood-alcohol level because it took more than three hours for police to return his turban.

Sardul Singh was arrested by Peel Regional Police at about 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 10, 2014, during a roadside spot check. As he was placed into the back of a police car, his turban hit the door frame and fell off.

The turban wasn’t returned to Singh until about 10:50 p.m., by which time he had been booked at the police station and ordered to give a breath sample.

In court, Singh argued that his Charter right to freedom of religion had been violated and that he felt shameful to be seen without his turban.

The Crown conceded there had been a Charter breach but argued there was no “causal connection” between that Charter breach and the obtaining of the breath sample.

But in a decision released this week, Ontario Judge Jill Copeland said the harm done to Singh was significant.

“I accept the defendant’s evidence that it was shameful for him to be without his turban and it made him feel vulnerable,” she wrote.

:wtf:

VixR

Veritas
As if three hours without his precious turban negates the fact that he was driving under the influence. I effing hate drunk drivers with a passion. This dude, who could've killed someone, got caught but managed to go scot free, because turban? :birdman:

As if three hours without his precious turban negates the fact that he was driving under the influence. I effing hate drunk drivers with a passion. This dude, who could've killed someone, got caught but managed to go scot free, because turban? :birdman:

Lefties gone wild.

VixR

Veritas
Lefties gone wild.
lizzie-mcguire-gif-cartoon-eye-angry.gif

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Lolontario :sheed:

If it was BC they would have given him land and a hundred thousand nestle bottles :mjohreally:

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Tyrone Singhs stealing their wives too..
IMG_8599-2005.06.14-17.22.37.jpg

I'm messing, I don't know why I searched

HalyeeyQaran

Citizen of Southwest State
Honorable judge. You can't pick and choose which fundamental human rights people deserve. His Constitutional rights were compromised, simple as that.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
i thought my right to not get run over by a drunk mofo was worth preserving though :tocry:

Instead of not punishing this drunk driver, it would be better to punish the cops responsible and give him some money. The punishment should still stand but I can understand the judge's decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.