Somali alphabet

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should change the Somali alphabet since it doesn't make any sense in my opinion anything would be better but I think Arabic alphabet will fit perfectly

We should change the Somali alphabet since it doesn't make any sense in my opinion anything would be better but I think Arabic alphabet will fit perfectly
no f*ck no! anything but arabic. I know that it fits the somali language pretty well, but i don't wan more confused individuals repping arabs. i'm so adamant about this. For me its about the message that it sends.

Radical

Been there, done that
C'mon man the somali alphabet is already hard enough changing it is gonna bring more madax xanuun

Nope. Stick with what we got. All we need is a Language committee that will readjust and properly implement education and standards in the script.

no f*ck no! anything but arabic. I know that it fits the somali language pretty well, but i don't wan more confused individuals repping arabs. i'm so adamant about this. For me its about the message that it sends.
Latin just doesn't work look at Turkey when they changed their alphabet the literacy rate skyrocketed

maestro

Cultural revolution
Arabic fits Somali perfectly and only needs a little tweaking but it's better if we get a native script.

But if not Arabic or our own script and we decide to keep using latin Wē néèd äccêñtś ãšåp!

This shitty "ooga booga looga nooga xooga rooga dooga" script doesn't work. It's difficult to read and is absolutely hideous to look at :ileycry:

Turkish is Latin based but tweaked it so much to fit their language. Their language would look impossible to read without accents. Why not follow Turkey and make our own accents to make the Latin Somali script better?

Wadaad
220px-Somali_Stone.jpg

Sumado
Wadaad's-Writing.jpg

Osmanya
images

I'd say osmanya because Sumado is too outdated and anti-semites will get mad if we pick wadaad

Interesting that @maestro has no problem with this thread.

No. Latin is fine. No point changing the script when the script used now is recent and known by millions.

maestro

Cultural revolution
Interesting that @maestro has no problem with this thread.

No. Latin is fine. No point changing the script when the script used now is recent and known by millions.

This thread is intellectual unlike the other xaar.

Arabic and Latin are both fine scripts and work on Somali if tweaked a little

It's not fine, and just because a lot of people know it doesn't mean we should not change a flawed system

You made some interesting points. But the majority disagree. Latin manages very well with the sounds of Somali words. There would be much difficulty to even educate people on a new script. It isn't the 70s. The situation is different now, not to mention that most Somalis live outside Somalia and the diaspora.

Isn't the Somali alphabet essentially the Arabic alphabet written in a Latin script ?at least that is what is sounds like to me -not that I am an expert on such matter ,though I am an expert on most things .

You made some interesting points. But the majority disagree. Latin manages very well with the sounds of Somali words.
Here is why Latin or atleast the way we use it doesn't work
1 it doesn't have all Somali letters
2 the spelling is inconsistent
3 the double vowel is the dumbest thing in my entire life it makes the language harder and looks ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.