Somali community in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
There's some Somalis in NYC, but I don't think there's many families there. I'm assuming a lot of them are young professionals who moved from other states.

I doubt there's only one xawaalad in all of New York since there are sizeable communities in Buffalo and Rochester

HalyeeyQaran

Citizen of Southwest State
The Somali community in NYC is comprised of a few taxi drivers and a few Somali fashion models. There's only one Somali restaurant in NYC and it's located in an area called Little Senegal in Harlem.

There was a story of a Somali guy talking on a pay-phone in NYC back in the 90s. A black wanted to use the pay-phone and the Somali guy told him off only to get shot in the butt cheek.

My dad first came to North America through JFK and then lived in Buffalo before moving his way up north.

I heard many Somalis in the late 80s first arrived at NYC

HalyeeyQaran

Citizen of Southwest State
NYC was the transit point for many Somalis arriving in the United States. From there, they moved to regions with more generous public assistance. You don't want to be poor living in NYC, especially in the 80-90s when it was very dangerous compared to now.

NYC is where rats are supreme. It's a good-for-nothing expensive city which has the downright dirtiest subways and have the worst people living there.

Sultana

On Hiatus
Yeah, my mother came to JFK before moving to Quebec and then eventually Toronto. But yeah, there is no Somali community in NYC, Somalis in NY mostly live in Upstate New York. Most of the Somalis in NYC are young and there for school or work.

Status
Not open for further replies.