Somali Teen Actress, Kosar Ali, nominated for BAFTA Award for 'Rocks' movie

Introducing Kosar Ali – the BAFTA-nominated teen star of ‘Rocks’

Kosar_Ali_BBC.jpg

After stealing the show in last year’s coming-of-age drama Rocks, rising star Kosar Ali is showing no signs of slowing down. Fresh from a surprise Supporting Actress nomination at this year’s BAFTAs, the London teen is starring in new BBC comedy short PRU – about an unruly group of school kids navigating the pitfalls of adolescence.

It’s another fun project for Ali, and showcases all of the 17-year-old’s infectious energy and talent. From her East End roots to dreams of playing the Joker – here are nine things you need to know about Kosar Ali.

https://www.nme.com/film-interviews/kosar-ali-bafta-rocks-2896869

Basic

Passive Aggressive is the new Aggressive
VIP
Congrats to Kosar! Glad they are casting Somalis to play Somali character. The way they portrayed the Somali family in the film was wholesome and true to the roots.

So proud!! Representation matters! Positive ones especially. The scene where they gave the girl a diraac/guuntino is wow. Sisterhood

And it was Banadiri print Guntiino! :it0tdo8:

Congrats to Kosar! Glad they are casting Somalis to play Somali character. The way they portrayed the Somali family in the film was wholesome and true to the roots.
If any of you are reer uk you’ll know of the “Somali” on the dumping ground. Dark times :snoop: indeed. Finally we are getting real Somalis

Right.. Kosar will hopefully show extroverted Somalis that they don't have to sell out.. act like ratcheds, gang-bangers etc, to make it. I hope she can eventually write and produce content with other Somalis using her connections.

Lately I am also seeing Muslim extras in the background of tv shows.. wearing full hijab! It's refreshing.
I don’t know what Muslims you’re taking about nowadays we have liberal Muslims and girls taking off their hijab as representation. Also they way they butcher the salah is appalling. Sometimes I prefer the days of terrorists

I don’t know what Muslims you’re taking about nowadays we have liberal Muslims and girls taking off their hijab as representation. Also they way they butcher the salah is appalling. Sometimes I prefer the days of terrorists

I am talking about hijabis fully dressed as Muslims. Also, if you watch this Rocks movie you can see a normal, healthy Somali family, that looks and acts Muslim.