Somali words for pigeon/dove πŸ•Š

E9C717F4-08AD-4167-8762-590D05DFF235.jpeg

Shimbiris

Ψ¨Ω‰ΩŽΨ± ΨΊΩ‰ΩŽΩ„ Ψ₯ي؀ ΨΉΨ’Ω†Ψ€ Ω„Ψ€
VIP
So the Somali word for a white dove is the same as the Arabic for toilet? Waa sheeko yaab leh.

So the Somali word for a white dove is the same as the Arabic for toilet? Waa sheeko yaab leh.
Not quite; xamam (loo) vs xammaam (pigeon) (al shad on the letter 'm' makes a difference, but then you already know that; so is the 'dhamma' on the 'm' on the latter).
Ψ­ΩŽΩ…Ω‘Ψ§Ω…:Ω…ΩƒΨ§Ω†ΩŒ ΩŠΩΨΊΩ’ΨͺΩŽΨ³Ω„ ΩΩŠΩ‡ (loo);
Ψ§Ω„Ψ­ΩŽΩ…ΩŽΨ§Ω…Ω : جنسُ طيرٍ Ω…Ω† Ψ§Ω„ΩΨ΅ΩŠΩ„Ψ© Ψ§Ω„Ψ­Ω…Ψ§Ω…ΩŠΨ©ΨŒ ΩˆΩ‡Ωˆ Ψ£Ω†ΩˆΨ§ΨΉ (pigeon);

This reminds of a funny story. I have got an old Masri mate, from Isma'iliya, whose name is 'Hamaam - Ω‡ΩŽΩ…Ω‘Ψ§Ω… ', whom Somalis, in our younger days, have taken to calling him 'Xamaam' at which he would flip, and would beg and plead with me to correct them. Oh the sight of him flying with a ball on a curve en route to the goal, and someone shouting 'Xamaam, over heeere', and his coming to a complete standstill at once shouting back in rage 'That ain't my name'. Unfortunately, no matter who many times we would explain the difference, and meanings, it never caught on. Worse thing, others incl. Arabs started calling him that. Our attempt to renaming him 'Gigsy' reflective of his speed and agility on the ball did not quite do it. We still call him that in chinwag. Good times.

This reminds of a funny story. I have got an old Masri mate, from Isma'iliya, whose name is 'Hamaam - Ω‡ΩŽΩ…Ω‘Ψ§Ω… ', whom Somalis, in our younger days, have taken to calling him 'Xamaam' at which he would flip, and would beg and plead with me to correct them. Oh the sight of him flying with a ball on a curve en route to the goal, and someone shouting 'Xamaam, over heeere', and his coming to a complete standstill at once shouting back in rage 'That ain't my name'. Unfortunately, no matter who many times we would explain the difference, and meanings, it never caught on. Worse thing, others incl. Arabs started calling him that. Our attempt to renaming him 'Gigsy' reflective of his speed and agility on the ball did not quite do it. We still call him that in chinwag. Good times.
Misread first as "Gipsy" and thought you were a brutal bunch.

Trending

Latest posts