Somalis and Abortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night i was told a Somali girl in another state got pregnant by accident and she didn't want her family finding out, so she went ahead and had an abortion.

Istaqfurulah, i hope this is a rumor and not true.

I know Abortion is Haram in Islam, but if this story is true, then i don't think i have heard anything worse.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Games, where did you get the idea that abortion was haram in Islam? There are different views among the scholars on this issue so you can't just say that it's haram when the issue isn't that clear cut. Many scholars agree that it's permissible to get an abortion before the soul is breathed into the fetus ( before 40 days or 6 weeks).

http://islamqa.info/en/85046

Games, where did you get the idea that abortion was haram in Islam? There are different views among the scholars on this issue so you can't just say that it's haram when the issue isn't that clear cut. Many scholars agree that it's permissible to get an abortion before the soul is breathed into the fetus ( before 40 days or 6 weeks).

http://islamqa.info/en/85046
I will admit, i am not familiar with Islam and abortion, but Somalis frown upon this abomination.

Weligeey ma maqlin qof Soomaali ah oo ilmo iska soo riday.

Bisinka.

Games

see camalkaa reer magaal aan kuu haayste? Somalis f*ck one another like any ethnic group and the sooner they learn about contraception the better because Somalis use abortion as contraception and that is why abortion is so high among the Somali community. The abortion rates among Somalis is 3 times higher than the State average in Minnesota. Read this.

Reproductive health
Two focus groups with young participants and four Somali key informants expressed concern about the silence that surrounded girls’ reproductive decision making. Quietly raising this issue, a young Somali woman stated,
Right now, there’s a cultural clash between the older generation and the younger generation. People are going to be shocked when I say this, but in our community, young girls are sexually active. There is this idea, based on culture and religion, that young girls are not to have sex until they are married, which is safer with all these sexually transmitted diseases. But if you go to any high school, young Somali girls are sexually active, and they don’t know how to protect themselves. This is a taboo subject in our culture. Our mothers will not sit down with us and say, ‘Okay, don’t have sex, but if you are, do this and this.’ [Instead] they will say, ‘Don’t have sex’ and there is nothing beyond that. The reality is, as much as our parents would love the idea that kids are doing the things they are supposed to, a lot of girls are having abortions. I don’t know about cases of HIV. But that means if girls are not getting education from their mothers or the family, then we should have outside sources available. Culture and religion are not allowing us to talk about this. We can’t talk about prevention especially with our own parents. It also has to do with puberty. When a girl reaches puberty, there are a lot of things that she doesn’t know. So moms need to sit with their daughters, like a girl can get her period and not even know what that is. So, yeah, there’s a lot that we need to talk about.

Echoing this concern during a key informant interview, a Somali nurse acknowledged uncertainty about opening discussion on reproductive health with her own puberty-age children and queried, “As girls get bigger, there’s the issue of birth control and in my culture and religion, you can’t have sex before marriage, but what are they doing? Is it right to teach them? I don’t know what’s right.” It’s hard to understand my culture.” Another participant stated, “You raise your daughter and hope a nice man marries her. That’s all you hope. So to sit down and talk about sex, it’s taboo. No one wants to talk about it. You don’t know where to start.” A Somali nurse acknowledged, “The number of abortion is high. They [young women] are not taking birth control but once it happens, they want to terminate. Our culture, our religion says it’s wrong but at that moment, all she’s thinking is, ‘I don’t want this baby.’”

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2893335/

Last edited:
S

Shamis

Reer America - put a glove on it if you ain't gonna put a ring on it yaakhayaal, this is embarrassing.

The only time abortion is allowed in islam is when the mother's life is in danger.

In principle, the Qur'an condemns the killing of humans (except in the case of defense or as capital punishment), but it does not explicitly mention abortion. This leads Islamic theologians to take up different viewpoints: while the majority of early Islamic theologians permitted abortion up to day 40 of pregnancy or even up to day 120, many countries today interpret these precepts protecting unborn children more conservatively. Although there is no actual approval of abortion in the world of Islam, there is no strict, unanimous ban on it, either. Islam has not given any precise directions with regard to the issue of abortion. Hence it is not a matter, which has been clearly stated in the Shari'ah (Islamic Law) but rather an issue pertaining to the application of our knowledge of the Shari'ah. Such application may vary in conclusion with a difference in the basic premises of one's arguments.
The Qur'an clearly disapproves of killing other humans: “Take not life which Allah has made sacred” (6:151; see also 4:29 “If a man kills a believer intentionally, his recompense is Hell, to abide therein (for ever)” (4:93). Allah (SWT) went even further, making unlawful killing of a single individual human being equal to mass murder of the whole of mankind: "Because of that, We ordained for the children of Israel that if anyone killed a person not in retaliation for murder or for spreading mischief on earth, it would be as if he killed all mankind. And who saved a life, it would be as if he saved all mankind." (Al-Maidah, 5:32)

Islam's approach to the issue of birth control and abortion is very balanced. It allows women to prevent pregnancy but forbids them to terminate it. In case of rape the woman should use the morning after pill or RU486 immediately after the sexual assault in order to prevent the possible implantation of a fertilized ovum. Modern technology (like ultra sound scan) has made it possible to know whether or not a child has a defect long before he is born. Some people justify the abortion of a defective fetus.

The Shari'ah allows abortion only when doctors declare with reasonable certainty that the continuation of pregnancy will endanger the woman's life. This permission is based on the principle of the lesser of the two evils known in Islamic legal terminology as the principle of al-ahamm wa 'l-muhimm (the more important and the less important). The Prophet said, "When two forbidden things come [upon a person] together, then the lesser will be sacrificed for the greater." In the present case, one is faced with two forbidden things: either abort the unborn child or let a living woman die. Obviously, the latter is greater than the former; therefore, abortion is allowed to save the live person.

http://www.islamawareness.net/FamilyPlanning/Abortion/abortion3.html

Duchess

VIP
@Ruqiya

The article you posted is addressing the issue of abortion after the soul has been breathed into the fetus ( after 40 days or ~ 6 weeks). It is not considered a 'human' until then so the verses from the Quran about killing humans does not and can not apply.

The abortion rate amongst Somalis is extremely high in Minnesota, but does anyone have any statistics on the number of abortions here in Ontario? Is it just as bad?

@Ruqiya

The article you posted is addressing the issue of abortion after the soul has been breathed into the fetus ( after 40 days or ~ 6 weeks). It is not considered a 'human' until then so the verses from the Quran about killing humans does not and can not apply.
So, according to you, it isn't a living entity before 40 days?

Duchess

VIP
So, according to you, it isn't a living entity before 40 days?

I said it wasn't human, not that it wasn't a 'living entity'. The Quranic verses that were quoted were in reference to the taking human life.

Status
Not open for further replies.