South Africans continue to loot Somali stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.
Shops owned by foreigners have been looted during third day of protests against a decision to replace the city mayor of South African capital Pretoria, a Somali community leader told Anadolu Agency on Wednesday.

Amir Sheikh, chairman of the Somali community board, said several shops belonging to Somalis and others foreign nationals had been looted Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

“We are surprised why protesters have suddenly turned against foreign-owned businesses when the actual cause of the protest was the replacement of the city mayor,” Sheikh told Anadolu Agency.

He said over 100 such shops had been looted since protests began Monday in the townships of Mamelodi, Atteridgeville, Ga-Rankuwa and Mabopane, all located to the north of Pretoria.

“We have managed to help 300 of our nationals to evacuate their goods for safekeeping in Pretoria west,” he said via telephone.

Police confirmed in a short statement Wednesday that looting continued in parts of the city overnight and early Wednesday.

The law enforcement body also confirmed that two people had been killed in Mamelodi township Tuesday night during ongoing unrest.

Police also said 40 people were arrested Tuesday and Wednesday for public violence, theft and possession of stolen property.

Local television showed images of people looting a shop owned by foreigners in Mabopane township, some 29 kilometers (18 miles) from the Pretoria city center.

Police were seen dispersing the mobs and helping shop owners evacuate their goods to nearby police stations.

Some locals accuse foreign nationals of, stealing their jobs and business opportunities.

Protests began in parts of Pretoria Monday after the African National Congress announced it would replace the current Mayor, Kgosientso Ramokgopa, with Thoko Didiza in the upcoming local government elections.

The announcement angered Ramokgopa’s supporters who went on rampage, saying Didiza was an outsider from another province and could not be chosen to lead them.

South Africa will hold local government elections on Aug. 3.

Source:Anadolu

Bob Marley

retired
This makes my blood boil tbh..
How can a group of people who have been oppressed for so long turn around and do the same to other's :pacspit:

There's really no excuse for this type of behavior

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
I approve the looting. They could've invested back home, Somalia is pretty much safe.

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.
I approve the looting. They could've invested back home, Somalia is pretty much safe.

No it's not. And it doesn't matter if Somalia is safe or not. Clearly they are allowed to open up business in south Africa aren't they? The South Africans are at fault. All foreigners have been targeted yet they don't target the ones that have put them in their situation.

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.
How exactly are they stealing Jobs when they open their own business?

A lot of africans have been targeted it's really sad. I applaud the Somalis for being business minded and creating their own jobs. They could teach the South Africans a thing or two. Do they expect there to be more jobs ones foreign business closes down?

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
No it's not. And it doesn't matter if Somalia is safe or not. Clearly they are allowed to open up business in south Africa aren't they? The South Africans are at fault. All foreigners have been targeted yet they don't target the ones that have put them in their situation.

This is the mentality that got us here at the first place! Somalis need to take part in rebuilding their country, I hope this was a lesson for them, Zulu nation shall loot every Somali till they are fed up and are willing to move back. These same people you're vouching for wouldn't do a thing for the average Somali just like the Somali millionaires in Uganda/Kenya. I hope all the Somali owned business in Sub saharan africa are looted.

Status
Not open for further replies.