Study says Somalis and Yemenis in America don’t marry out because of their skin color

Its so funny how spread out somalis are in America. I haven't been to Minnesota but I am from the East Coast and just going on a road trip you'll see somalis in the most random places. Ran into somalis in West Virginia, Philly, DMV, middle of North Carolina, Up state New York.
Philadelphia used to have a Somali community in the 90s and early 2000s most moved away for some reason there’s some Ethiopians and Eritreans there as well they own parking lots

Big big L, Somalis seriously need to stop following one another like sheeps, San Diego had so many Somalis they could have taken over businesses like how Habesha people have taken over DC and even Los Angeles by being a tight knit community and opening up various businesses. Reer San Diego really gave up all that just to end in MN. You don't even see Habesha people leave LA, I'm starting to believe they're too broke fro california hence why they all leaving
Cost of living is high in California Midwest is cheap so it makes sense why fobs are leaving even whites are leaving cali but in general Somalis picked the weirdest places in America to live 😂😂😂

Cost of living is high in California Midwest is cheap so it makes sense why fobs are leaving even whites are leaving cali but in general Somalis picked the weirdest places in America to live 😂😂😂
Bro you can't compare white people and somalis there's like 200 million cadaans so you will find some of them leaving Cali but they're still the majority,whereas majority of somalis in cali are leaving like a chicken fleeing from a lion. You don't see Persians, Habeshas, or Armenians leaving in droves despite them coming to california around the same time as somalis. Let's be real and say it how it is, Somalis cannot afford to live in San Diego, having too many children and having little money is what's making them flee and it doesntt help refugees that coming straight from dadaab entering san diego obviously they're bound to go to a state that provides better welfare. If skilled somalis migrated to California things defiantly would have been different. Also being nomadic in general and not havjng that flashy lifestyle is why we don't exist in major cities across america

Last edited:
I am literally from New York City and have really good somali friends born and raised in LA
that's cool i know there's a little somali community in orange County which is part of Los Angeles metro area. Wish there were more though. BTW how are the somali community in nyc, I heard there used to be alot in Astoroa queens. Do they still exist if not what part of nyc do somalis actually exist because I am having a hard time believing there's isnt a somali community down there

Wats nyc like?
How many somalis there?
New York City, both the epitome of wonder and the abyss of despair, stands as a microcosm of existence itself. Diverse so many people and always something to do. Theres good job opportunities but at the same time expensive and everyone is stressed. Wish there was more of a community.

that's cool i know there's a little somali community in orange County which is part of Los Angeles metro area. Wish there were more though. BTW how are the somali community in nyc, I heard there used to be alot in Astoroa queens. Do they still exist if not what part of nyc do somalis actually exist because I am having a hard time believing there's isnt a somali community down there

My dad was studying in University here when the war broke out in Somalia. I was born in Astoria but we moved away for a few years DMV and Toronto. Currently in Brooklyn, most somalis moved to Toronto in the early 2000's I want to say and 90's. There are still some of the old somali taxi drivers and business men that came in the 70's but they're dying out and mostly married ajanbis. Population wise probably a few thousand 5k max but its growing especially since 2017 lots of young single somalis moving here from the midwest. Wish we had more of a community here. Theres a old somali couple who live in Coney Island remnants of a bygone era, reside as a testament to nostalgia, they haven't been to Somalia since the early 80's.

New York City, both the epitome of wonder and the abyss of despair, stands as a microcosm of existence itself. Diverse so many people and always something to do. Theres good job opportunities but at the same time expensive and everyone is stressed. Wish there was more of a community.

My dad was studying in University here when the war broke out in Somalia. I was born in Astoria but we moved away for a few years DMV and Toronto. Currently in Brooklyn, most somalis moved to Toronto in the early 2000's I want to say and 90's. There are still some of the old somali taxi drivers and business men that came in the 70's but they're dying out and mostly married ajanbis. Population wise probably a few thousand 5k max but its growing especially since 2017 lots of young single somalis moving here from the midwest. Wish we had more of a community here. Theres a old somali couple who live in Coney Island remnants of a bygone era, reside as a testament to nostalgia, they haven't been to Somalia since the early 80's.
interesting, somalis should have still remained in nyc instead of giving up and moving to other states/Canada. We would have been competing with a lot of other demographics in business what a shame. More somalis should defo do that especially reer mn should move to nyc and form a community. But since you said we are more than 1k surely there is a community where they are all congregated where could that be since that's still a decent amount of somalis in nyc??

interesting, somalis should have still remained in nyc instead of giving up and moving to other states/Canada. We would have been competing with a lot of other demographics in business what a shame. More somalis should defo do that especially reer mn should move to nyc and form a community. But since you said we are more than 1k surely there is a community where they are all congregated where could that be since that's still a decent amount of somalis in nyc??
East somalis don't do community at all very Independent people. I don't know the reasoning maybe because they came earlier in the 70's and 80's or just Educated and busy. I have somalis in my neighborhood I see and just Salam nothing else. Same in the DMV where my cousins live. Most somalis don't really hang out with somalis.

Last edited:
East somalis don't do community at all every Independent people. I don't know the reasoning maybe because they came earlier in the 70's and 80's or just Educated and busy. I have somalis in my neighborhood I see and just Salam nothing else. Same in the DMV where my cousins live. Most somalis don't really hang out with somalis.
I think is because like you said they arrived before the civil war (even around the time jamaicans, and Dominicans arrived) and thus assimilated and kind of lost their culture and sense of community compared with the somalis that arrived post war. Hopefully things change and more somalis settle in nyc instead of snowflake minnesota and getting the attention from far right wings. Nyc is far better of a choice since everyone blends in and theres so much more opportunities, and on top of that you won't hear somalis wildin out like they do in MN since Nyc alone had like 20 plus million population. We would be a drop of an ocean compared to Minnehopeless. My aunt lives in New Jersey and says theres hardly any somalis there either. smh

I think is because like you said they arrived before the civil war (even around the time jamaicans, and Dominicans arrived) and thus assimilated and kind of lost their culture and sense of community compared with the somalis that arrived post war. Hopefully things change and more somalis settle in nyc instead of snowflake minnesota and getting the attention from far right wings. Nyc is far better of a choice since everyone blends in and theres so much more opportunities, and on top of that you won't hear somalis wildin out like they do in MN since Nyc alone had like 20 plus million population. We would be a drop of an ocean compared to Minnehopeless. My aunt lives in New Jersey and says theres hardly any somalis there either. smh
I have cousins in New Jersey, one of my fav states get that suburban life but at the same time living beside New York and Philly. Yeah I wish somalis main hub was New York. Imagine somalis in the thousands in New York, Toronto, and London. Anytime I want somali interaction I go to the corner shop and the Yemeni guy is a khat addicted Yemeni that speaks somali.

I have cousins in New Jersey, one of my fav states get that suburban life but at the same time living beside New York and Philly. Yeah I wish somalis main hub was New York. Imagine somalis in the thousands in New York, Toronto, and London. Anytime I want somali interaction I go to the corner shop and the Yemeni guy is a khat addicted Yemeni that speaks somali.
yh there isn't a community down there. My mum friend lives around 2 hours away from nyc. She lives in the proper suburbs. I wish we lived in New Jersey, New York instead of an dead end state with nothing to do other than catch the eyes of racist red necks. Is too late since Minnesota sadly is the hub for all somalis. we are late to the party the arabs and desis have taken over our spot despite us being there first. We have to take that L to our graves at this point.

Niggaa really want to live in nyc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230510-152717_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510-152717_Twitter.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 43
Any it might be dirty but there's always something to do.
What do you wanna do??? My cousins in atl always says new yorkers are fleeing to the south
I personal hate most of Manhattan dirty crowded and wet to many transplants, but Queens and Brooklyn are the best place in America. Every corner hides a story, food options anytime of the day, beautiful scenery and public transport. Soccer games every night. Atlanta is the deadest city I've been to was there last month for a conference hated it. Where are you from?

Toronto isn't really a global city the population is small compared to London and Paris. And Canadian somalis are invincible you hardly ever hear about them, but more with reer London simply because our population is far bigger than toronto and minneapolis combined.
What u talking about......... toronto the third largest city in NA behind New York and LA and Canadian somalis had a larger internet presence than Londen malis until 2020.....we the reason somalis even poppin on the net, before 2012 somalis weren't even known until toronto somali kids started rapping and put somalis on the map......mean while yall were getting bullied by Adons back then😭😭😭😭

What u talking about......... toronto the third largest city in NA behind New York and LA and Canadian somalis had a larger internet presence than Londen malis until 2020.....we the reason somalis even poppin on the net, before 2012 somalis weren't even known until toronto somali kids started rapping and put somalis on the map......mean while yall were getting bullied by Adons back then😭😭😭😭
lool message me I need to tell you something not comfortable saying it here don't want these annoying londoners to see

Trending