Studying in very good universities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really worth it ?
I have received conditional offer from one of the top universities but it is bloody expensive. The tuition fees per year is between 23000 USD$ to 27000 USD$! Keep in my there is also the living expense which I have to take care off.:tacky:. How do you people fund yourself? Any advice?

Unless you're going to an Ivy League school, every school in the Western world is the same. Hiring managers and HR don't care as long as it's accredited. People from elite institutions don't apply for jobs anyways so you won't be competing with them; they are either offered a job when they've graduated, they create their own job or last resort they go apply at firms that only hire from their alma mater.

No one pays full tuition except those with lower marks, those too lazy to apply for bursaries or foreign students. Unless you've been accepted to an Ivy League school (which have the best scholarship and bursary assistance available anywhere you would have access to), just go for the program you like at a school with affordable tuition that offers assistance.

I only paid maybe 2 years worth of tuition through govt loans. The rest was paid through either scholarship, bursaries or the government's 30% off tuition program. I wish I was 2-3 years younger so I could have taken advantage of the free tuition @Gucci mane @merka @Lmao and all Somalis and immigrants get lol

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
I'm graduating pretty much the month it gets enacted so I sadly won't be making bank on free tuition :mjcry:

Yeap like AJ said.

Scholorships, Bursarys.

Check the university pages, alumni and also search elsewhere for other private scholorships

I'd just go to one of the state schools where you live. I'm sure tuition there isn't more than $10K a year. You probably won't end up paying any tuition after scholarships, bursaries and low income govt support have been given to you.

I actually read an article before that said that people who were accepted into a Ivy League school or would have been accepted to an Ivy League school because of their impressive marks/application but decided to go to a normal school ended up making the same amount of money as those who did go to elite schools. Intelligence though..

You should also consider joining a fraternity/sorority in your last year or two years. You don't have to engage in the partying and drinking. You can just go with them to dinners, galas, play sports with them, camping, homework clubs, events, etc. Fraternities and sororities are the best for networking and getting a job; you will regularly meet and befriend any of the hundreds of past members at fraternity/sorority events.

I'd just go to one of the state schools where you live. I'm sure tuition there isn't more than $10K a year. You probably won't end up paying any tuition after scholarships, bursaries and low income govt support have been given to you.

I actually read an article before that said that people who were accepted into a Ivy League school or would have been accepted to an Ivy League school because of their impressive marks/application but decided to go to a normal school ended up making the same amount of money as those who did go to elite schools. Intelligence though..

You should also consider joining a fraternity/sorority in your last year or two years. You don't have to engage in the partying and drinking. You can just go with them to dinners, galas, play sports with them, camping, homework clubs, events, etc. Fraternities and sororities are the best for networking and getting a job; you will regularly meet and befriend any of the hundreds of past members at fraternity/sorority events.
Thanks for the advice.:nvjpqts:
The universities I applied is in UK and it is part of the Russell group. The problem with Uk is that they don't offer that many scholarships compared to US and it is much less. I will keep on searching though.

You left out the most critical part which is what you are studying. If it's anything to do with medicine/doctor or civil Engineering, basically the stuff you 'have' to go to university for, the advice would be different, depending which, the russel group becomes a factor in your decision making.

If it's anything to do with IT, it doesn't matter, but your also wasting your time going to university in the first place just like I did, the paper is not only worthless, but the one teaching you is even more worthless

Why would he be on on a maximum 30k Salary when he can earn triple that in the industry or 6x that contracting? the famous saying 'those who can do, those who can't teach' is there for a reason, every utter failure in this industry goes into teaching, your paying fortunes for nothing and will end up paying a % back from your salary, you may think it's nothing, but on a 35k junior position that's almost £180 a month gone on top of taxes.

If your going for some Micky mouse course, like a lot of the females do, you deserve to be shot for this, but I highly doubt that's the case with you, most Somali male's don't go for such courses.

Is it really worth it ?
I have received conditional offer from one of the top universities but it is bloody expensive. The tuition fees per year is between 23000 USD$ to 27000 USD$! Keep in my there is also the living expense which I have to take care off.:tacky:. How do you people fund yourself? Any advice?

That's awesome.

If you are studying something you enjoy go balls deep and exhaust every option you can get.

1. You need to stash up asap! If you don't get the money for a loan try your hardest to come up with your first year. Some schools are willing to help students who can bring up something.

2. Network when it moves you forward. Don't waste your time with groups and frats if you have a tingling feeling you may never see them again. Focus on mentors and network with people ahead of you.

3. Cut costs and eat shit as long as you can.

4. Repeat step 3 as much as you can.

Unless you're going to an Ivy League school, every school in the Western world is the same.
Terrible advice.

MIT, Cambridge, Oxford and others are better than almost every Ivy league university. Not to mention the universities that are just below the first tier are not the same as those in the third tier. It's decidedly not true that employers view the universities below the first tier as the same as well as long as they're accredited.

Unless you're going to an Ivy League school, every school in the Western world is the same. Hiring managers and HR don't care as long as it's accredited. People from elite institutions don't apply for jobs anyways so you won't be competing with them; they are either offered a job when they've graduated, they create their own job or last resort they go apply at firms that only hire from their alma mater.

No one pays full tuition except those with lower marks, those too lazy to apply for bursaries or foreign students. Unless you've been accepted to an Ivy League school (which have the best scholarship and bursary assistance available anywhere you would have access to), just go for the program you like at a school with affordable tuition that offers assistance.

I only paid maybe 2 years worth of tuition through govt loans. The rest was paid through either scholarship, bursaries or the government's 30% off tuition program. I wish I was 2-3 years younger so I could have taken advantage of the free tuition @Gucci mane @merka @Lmao and all Somalis and immigrants get lol

It depends, what did you study?

Terrible advice.

MIT, Cambridge, Oxford and others are better than almost every Ivy league university. Not to mention the universities that are just below the first tier are not the same as those in the third tier. It's decidedly not true that employers view the universities below the first tier as the same as well as long as they're accredited.

Caltech, MIT, Oxford and Cambridge are exceptions of course. The first two are much smaller and have a particular focus and the last two I didn't want to type out but assumed it was covered when I said elite schools (these two schools have 20% acceptance rates anyway).

It's not terrible advice at all.

Do you think people from elite schools go on Indeed.com and apply for jobs like a regular university graduate? You're not directly competing in the job market with these people and 95% of the time, they will not even be working at the same organization as you, forget about working with them.

Also, there is no such thing as a school "being just below first tier". It's either elite or it isn't elite. Everything else is the same.

A new Gallup survey finds that in hiring decisions, only 9 percent of business leaders say that the school on a candidate’s diploma is “very important,” compared to 84 percent assessing knowledge in the field and 79 percent looking at applied skills

It depends, what did you study?

I can't say to protect my identity but it got me a very good paying job in O&G and it came from a school that wouldn't typically be someone's first, second or third choice if they're not from the city.

People should only be looking into whether what they studied is useful and in demand.

Your experience, your intelligence and your networking skills are more important than the school name. Believe me, your likability as a person is 100 times more important than where you graduated from to hiring managers. You have to be a good fit. My own boss has told me he turned someone down recently for having an attitude and went for a less qualified and less impressive on paper candidate; the reason was this person had the personality of someone that you can work with all day.

Anyone who looks at university rankings list and compares their #20th global ranked school with someone else's #120th ranked school doesn't know what he's talking about.

Well the reason I ask is that not ronly does it depend what uni you went to but what you studied as well. Personally, I see no reason to go to university unless you are studying a STEM subject. Also, even if you don't go to an Oxbridge or IVY league college there are plenty of great universities for Medical or STEM subjects (some even have better labs and departments than the top universities). A good example is the Russell group in the UK.

If it's not Russel group it's not worth it. If you're already spending a fortune on tuition, might as well take advantage of all the networking opportunities afforded :ivers:

I know the importance of experience, intelligence and communating skills, but going to a well known university might aid you in getting a well paid job if you are studying a STEM course.

As said above, persevere if its a good school (Russell Group or equivalent) AND you are studying a technical subject that you absolutely need to go to university to study.

As for the fees have enough to put you through first year, get best grades you can and apply to all the scholarships and grants available. That is the one advantage we have being Somalis, you will almost always get the scholarship you apply for, provided your academic track record is exemplary.

Caltech, MIT, Oxford and Cambridge are exceptions of course. The first two are much smaller and have a particular focus and the last two I didn't want to type out but assumed it was covered when I said elite schools (these two schools have 20% acceptance rates anyway).

It's not terrible advice at all.

Do you think people from elite schools go on Indeed.com and apply for jobs like a regular university graduate? You're not directly competing in the job market with these people and 95% of the time, they will not even be working at the same organization as you, forget about working with them.

Also, there is no such thing as a school "being just below first tier". It's either elite or it isn't elite. Everything else is the same.
More nonsense. Stanford, Imperial, Caltech, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, LSE, KCL, Harvey Mudd, Berkley, Texas (Austin), MIT etc are all elite institutions - and that's just from the top of my head. So your Ivy league comment was just dumb! These and many others have amazing starting salary statistics. The fact that you think they count the same as any university shows how little you know how these things work. You are trying to tell us that going to the University of Maryland is the same as going to the University of New Mexico. For someone who went to university, you are terribly misinformed -- which is fine but when you masquarade your ignorance as sound advice it becomes toxic.

Last edited:
More nonsense. Stanford, Imperial, Caltech, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, LSE, KCL, Harvey Mudd, Berkley, Texas (Austin), MIT etc are all elite institutions - and that's just from the top of my head. So your Ivy league comment was just dumb! These and many others have amazing starting salary statistics. The fact that you think they count the same as any university shows how little you know how these things work. You are trying to convince that going to the University of Maryland is the same as going to the University of New Mexico. For someone who went to university, you are terribly misinformed, which is fine but when you masquarade your ignorance as sound advice it becomes toxic.

OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.