Ta-Nehisi Coates punctures a gaping hole in treacherous liberal narrative

66fd63e17bba1.image.jpg

Tony Dokoupil questions Ta-Nehisi Coates about his book 'The message' labelling T Coates an 'extremist'. T Coates powerfully argues 'Either apartheid is right or wrong'.

Review of the interview

A better, more in-depth interview of T Coates by Trevor Noah

• But what about the taxi driver; min. 1905. youtu.be/IPbD9PZ5FP4?t=1145
  • Why would you start telling the story of the Palestinian people, that Chapter, why would you star that story with the history of theJ3wish people? min. 2145. youtu.be/IPbD9PZ5FP4?t=1307
  • The evil doctrine of Zionism through the prism of a son of slaves, and a son of apartheid, min. 2450. America's doing, and its legacy of American imperialism, Evangelical Christianity, colonialism all manifested in Palestine. youtu.be/IPbD9PZ5FP4?t=1490
  • Seduction of power: what would sons of slaves do if they had power?

Excerpts from The Message.

As we approached one, I watched two Palestinian schoolchildren being stopped by a soldier and directed back down the street from which they had come. And then it was our turn. One by one we approached. They checked our passports and allowed us to proceed. These soldiers roam as they feel, stopping and interrogating according to their whim. Later that day, I walked out to buy some goods from a shopkeeper. But before I could get there, a soldier walked out from a checkpoint, blocked my path, and asked me to state my religion. He looked at me skeptically when I told him I did not have one and asked for my parentsโ€™ religion. When I told him they were not religious either, he rolled his eyes and asked about my grandparents. When I told him they were Christian, he allowed me to pass.

If this had happened in America, I would have told you that the soldier who stopped me was Black, and I guess he was here too. In fact, there were โ€œBlackโ€ soldiers everywhere lording their power over the Palestinians, many of whom would, in America, have been seen as โ€œwhite.โ€ Again I felt the mental lens curving against the light and was reminded of something I have long known, something Iโ€™ve written and spoken about, but still was stunned to see here in such stark detail: that race is a species of power and nothing else. And I knew here, in this moment, how I would have fallen in the hierarchy of power if I had told that Black soldier that I was a Muslim. And on that street so far from home, I suddenly felt that I had traveled through time as much as through space.

For as sure as my ancestors were born into a country where none of them was the equal of any white man, Israel was revealing itself to be a country where no Palestinian is ever the equal of any Jewish person anywhere. This fact is not hard to discern. Beyond my own initial impressions, there is the law itself, which clearly and directly calls for a two-tier society. Jewish Israelis who marry Jews from abroad neednโ€™t worry about their spousesโ€™ citizenship. But Israel tracks Palestinian noncitizens through a population registry, and it bars Palestinian citizens from passing on their status to anyone on that registryโ€”abroad or in the West Bank. Jewish Israelis in Jerusalem are citizens of the state; Palestinians in the city are merely โ€œpermanent residents,โ€ a kind of sub-citizenship with a reduced set of rights and privileges.

In Hebron, Jewish settlers are subject to civil law, with all its rights and protections, while stateless Palestinians in the same city are subject to military courts, with all their summary power and skepticism. The separate and unequal nature of Israeli rule is both intense and omnipresentโ€”something I saw directly. The roads and highways we traveled were marked off for license plates of different colorsโ€”yellow, used mostly by those who are Jewish, and white with green lettering, used almost entirely by those who are not. As we drove these roads along the West Bank, our guide pointed out settlementsโ€”a word that I had always taken to refer to rugged camps staked out in the desert but in fact the settlements are more akin to American subdivisions, distinguished from the villages of the Palestinians by homes with large red roofs, as surely as a white picket fence denoted the suburbs of twentieth-century America and not its teeming cities.

Throughout the West Bank, I saw cisterns used to harvest rainwater. These cisterns were almost certainly illegalโ€”the Israeli stateโ€™s hold on the West Bank includes control of the aquifers in the ground and the rainwater that falls from above. Any structure designed for gathering water requires a permit from the occupying power, and such permits are rarely given to Palestinians.

The upshot is predictableโ€”water consumption for Israelis is nearly four times that of Palestinians living under occupation. And in those West Bank settlements which I once took as mere outposts, you can find country clubs furnished with large swimming pools. On seeing these cisterns, it occurred to me that Israel had advanced beyond the Jim Crow South and segregated not just the pools and fountains but the water itself. And more, it occurred to me that there was still one place on the planetโ€”under American patronageโ€”that resembled the world that my parents were born into.

Trending