TedXMogadishu architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shamis

What did you think of the video? Wasn't it really cool when that Somali kid posed on his bike next to the soldier monument?

The Italian architecture was something else, I hope this knowledge is still around and
passed down. Personally I don't want to go back to a Mogadishu which looks like every other modernised African city

S

Shamis

Major African cities all look ugly as heck, they forget that Europe and the US (what they want to be) still have their traditional architecture as pride and place.

The Italian building are nice but I also like the Islamic style buildings with the curved entrances/balconies and the pointy jagged decorated top bits. I also love the colour white, it would not be the same without it hurting your eyes when you walk through it.

Mogadishu would rise from the ashes and take its place among great African cities.

My only beef is, alot of old buildings that were severely damaged by the civil war are being torn down and new building are being put up in their place.

I hope they leave couple of those buildings with the bullet markings and make it a museum. So people are reminded what happened during the civil war.

Germany still has completely bombed out free standing structures from WW2.

S

Shamis

I think they should rebuild it but people back home just want to start a fresh, those memories are from us remember - you don't want to remember that and have our tour guides shout our shame for centuries to come.

I love him. That classroom at ~12:30 needs to be the model for every new school being built in Somalia. Clever AF.

I also love the colour white, it would not be the same without it hurting your eyes when you walk through it.
My only beef is, alot of old buildings that were severely damaged by the civil war are being torn down and new building are being put up in their place.

I hope they leave couple of those buildings with the bullet markings and make it a museum. So people are reminded what happened during the civil war.

Beautiful thoughts.

S

Shamis

I love that classroom too! If you see the crappy hot schools they build in other parts of Afrika ardaydaa u naxeey! Ours are usually open at one wall but this box shapes echo the outer walls we build all over Somalia with the pretty shapes. Boxes are a great adaptation for school.

Yeah, I love those details, too. This architect is so inspired. I love that he uses old photos as reference points. We do have a past we can be proud of. I think we need to clone him.

S

Shamis

He can do a lot of work if people hire him and I'm sure he's not the only architect in Muqdisho so he can set up a company with his vision if people invest in him after seeing his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.