The rights of a guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need your opinions on this.

A relative of ours visited her husbands family abroad with her kids. When they picked them up from the airport the mans wife suggested to go out to eat because she hasn't cooked. Is this behavior normal to you? Keep in mind they travelled from the other side of the world.

Last edited:

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
they didn't have a home-cooked meal prepared? they didn't at least order out and make the house comfortable for their arrival? :susp:

nah :susp:

Would you go to this families wedding who treated your aunt like this? I have been invited to a wedding of theirs but I won't go after what they did.

@You she could have cooked before hand. When we have guests coming late or early my mom wakes up early to cook martiqad/casumad food.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
She should have bought the food beforehand. It can be stressful at times when guests are coming. I understand her for not cooking but she should have bought the food hours beforehand and put in the over to warm it up!

Galaeri

USC | Ururka Bililiqada iyo Kufsiga
I need your opinions on this.

A relative of ours visited her husbands family abroad with her kids. When they picked them up from the airport the mans wife suggested to go out to eat because she hasn't cooked. Is this behavior normal to you? Keep in mind they travelled from the other side of the world.

I won't lie this is pretty whack but is it possible they are overreacting? If this mishap was ignored could they say that they felt very welcome, or was there other distasteful occurrences?

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
Would you go to this families wedding who treated your aunt like this? I have been invited to a wedding of theirs but I won't go after what they did.

@You she could have cooked before hand. When we have guests coming late or early my mom wakes up early to cook martiqad/casumad food.
Ordering it in would be a good idea, but she didn't and I don't think it's that bad. I personally wouldn't boycott someone's wedding over it but that just might be the uncultured reer-Yurub inside me talking

VixR

Veritas
Different strokes. Some ppl cook, nowadays more ppl are bound to treat you out instead.

That's not a big deal to cause strife among family members. Ppl obsess about the most frivolous things.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Different strokes. Some ppl cook, nowadays more ppl are bound to treat you out instead.

That's not a big deal to cause strife among family members. Ppl obsess about the most frivolous things.
When I visit relatives I don't want a home cooked meal tbh. If I am on vacation I'm going to eat out. I don't know what's with Somalis at times. If I wanted home cooked meals I would have never left my house!

VixR

Veritas
When I visit relatives I don't want a home cooked meal tbh. If I am on vacation I'm going to eat out. I don't know what's with Somalis at times. If I wanted home cooked meals I would have never left my house!
That's how I look at it, too. You're with family u haven't seen in a while, sharing a meal. Who cares if it's out or in? The ppl think they're being given low tier treatment, but it's conflicting mindsets on what's acceptable.

Even if you feel otherwise, as a guest you should be modest too and charitable towards your hosts. What if they tried to cook a feast, but ruined the dinner or something came up to where she was unable to? You're not gonna disclose that, you're just gonna say, "Wow, it's been so long, it's so great to see u, fam! You must be famished, let us treat you all to dinner. We know this great place..."

I would be fine with that. I get the feeling the average Somali will develop cukhdad:icon lol:

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
That's how I look at it, too. You're with family u haven't seen in a while, sharing a meal. Who cares if it's out or in? The ppl think they're being given low tier treatment, but it's conflicting mindsets on what's acceptable.

Even if you feel otherwise, as a guest you should be modest too and charitable towards your hosts. What if they tried to cook a feast, but ruined the dinner or something came up to where she was unable to? You're not gonna disclose that, you're just gonna say, "Wow, it's been so long, it's so great to see u, fam! You must be famished, let us treat you all to dinner. We know this great place..."

I would be fine with that. I get the feeling the average Somali will develop cukhdad:icon lol:

i see where you're coming from

When us young people do this it isn't a big deal but when you do this to the elders of the family it's a huge insult.

I would be disappointed if I travelled and there was no food at the place I'm staying. Eating is the only thing I look forward to

Status
Not open for further replies.