The White Man's Burden!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The White Man's Burden (1899)

Take up the White Man's burden, Send forth the best ye breed
Go bind your sons to exile, to serve your captives' need;
To wait in heavy harness, On fluttered folk and wild—
Your new-caught, sullen peoples, Half-devil and half-child.

Take up the White Man's burden, In patience to abide,
To veil the threat of terror And check the show of pride;
By open speech and simple, An hundred times made plain
To seek another's profit, And work another's gain.

Take up the White Man's burden, The savage wars of peace—
Fill full the mouth of Famine And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest The end for others sought,
Watch sloth and heathen Folly Bring all your hopes to nought.

Take up the White Man's burden, No tawdry rule of kings,
But toil of serf and sweeper, The tale of common things.
The ports ye shall not enter, The roads ye shall not tread,
Go make them with your living, And mark them with your dead.

Take up the White Man's burden And reap his old reward:
The blame of those ye better, The hate of those ye guard—
The cry of hosts ye humour (Ah, slowly!) toward the light:—
"Why brought he us from bondage, Our loved Egyptian night?"

Take up the White Man's burden, Ye dare not stoop to less—
Nor call too loud on Freedom To cloak your weariness;
By all ye cry or whisper, By all ye leave or do,
The silent, sullen peoples Shall weigh your gods and you.

Take up the White Man's burden, Have done with childish days—
The lightly proffered laurel, The easy, ungrudged praise.
Comes now, to search your manhood, through all the thankless years
Cold, edged with dear-bought wisdom, The judgment of your peers!

7QcLmPg.jpg

An interesting poem written by famed poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling justifying colonialism at the height of it. What's your opinion on this? Would you consider the taking in of refugees from War torn Third world countries as a modern aspect of this. Another burden the White man has to shoulder when nobody else is doing it. Even rich industrialised non-white countries like South Korea or Japan?

I think it's justified for white countries to take in refugees from countries they have colonised and subjugated, but not abdi johnson though.

Last edited:
I think it's justified for white countries to take in refugees from countries they have colonised and subjugated, but not abdi johnson though.

Why should places like Switzerland and Sweden and Norway and Denmark take you in? There are more Somalis in those countries combined than many Somali gobols. The people there don't want you, just governments who are forced to feel bad for you by the UN.

Only a select few of them ever participated in Colonialism not to mention Arabs and the Ottoman Turks who also engaged in imperialism and mass slavery are not criticised as much as Western countries. Why don't the rich Gulf Arabs also take in some refugees and pay for their historical wrongs?

Vanguard

Fino alla morte
Why should places like Switzerland and Sweden and Norway and Denmark take you in? There are more Somalis in those countries combined than many Somali gobols. The people there don't want you, just governments who are forced to feel bad for you by the UN.

I don't know about Sweden, but the Kingdom of Denmark-Norway had colonies in Africa, India and the Caribbean, namely St Croix, St Thomas, St John islands, Danish India and Danish Gold Coast.

I clearly remember how much they used to boast about these territories in history class.

I don't know about Sweden, but the Kingdom of Denmark-Norway had colonies in Africa, India and the Caribbean, namely St Croix, St Thomas, St John islands, Danish India and Danish Gold Coast.

I clearly remember how much they used to boast about these territories in history class.

The locals in Ghana will clearly remember that they were treated well.

Only a select few of them ever participated in Colonialism not to mention Arabs and the Ottoman Turks who also engaged in imperialism and mass slavery are not criticised as much as Western countries. Why don't the rich Gulf Arabs also take in some refugees and pay for their historical wrongs?

They want to hide Arab cruelty and atrocities. They will make excuses for them. Shameless.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
No colonial subject would say that they enjoyed colonialism of their nation, however, Somalis may want to point this out but defend Arab/Muslim slavery as being 'not that bad, it was good for them' kind of crap.

No colonial subject would say that they enjoyed colonialism of their nation, however, Somalis may want to point this out but defend Arab/Muslim slavery as being 'not that bad, it was good for them' kind of crap.

Somalis always think arabs are holy people smh.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
Somalis always think arabs are holy people smh.

The hypocrisy really infuriates me. Either all colonialism is evil or it's all good. You can't hold Europeans accountable for something, rightfully so, but then refuse to hold the Arabs accountable for the exact same things and even defend it.

A lot of Somalis just want to stick to the white man whilst scrounging on the money he gives them.

Vanguard

Fino alla morte
The hypocrisy really infuriates me. Either all colonialism is evil or it's all good. You can't hold Europeans accountable for something, rightfully so, but then refuse to hold the Arabs accountable for the exact same things and even defend it.

A lot of Somalis just want to stick to the white man whilst scrounging on the money he gives them.

Mainly because Arab colonialism didn't affect Somalis, in fact they benefitted from it. When the Omani sultanate colonised most of east Africa, Somalis were their biggest allies.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
Mainly because Arab colonialism didn't affect Somalis, in fact they benefitted from it. When the Omani sultanate colonised most of east Africa, Somalis were their biggest allies.

Not the point. Somalis go out of there way to defend Arab/Muslim colonialism and slavery but never let go of European colonialism. It doesn't have to affect you for it to be a hypocrital stance. Somalis, those who engage in this buffoonery, are very much hypocrites.

Vanguard

Fino alla morte
Not the point. Somalis go out of there way to defend Arab/Muslim colonialism and slavery but never let go of European colonialism. It doesn't have to affect you for it to be a hypocrital stance. Somalis, those who engage in this buffoonery, are very much hypocrites.

I agree with you. I was simply stating the reason why a lot of Somalis tend to be anti-white colonialism, but indifferent when the atrocities committed by the Arabs is mentioned.

The arabs get away with too much :cosbyhmm:

How come I always see fellow somalis protest when you point out the conquest of the levant, Berbera, North Africa Iran etc was colonialism :hmm:

No one ever mentions how they got away with slavery for so long lol the westerners literally had to come over and tell them to stop

DeathWish

Hotep and Hebrew Israelite
The white man's burden?
How about the black man's burden?
The atrocities cadaan's committed was something the world never seen. They acted like barbaric animals instead of humans.
  • When Christopher Columbus came to the Americas, a gen0c1de ensued.
  • The Australian Aboriginals were almost ki11ed to extinction.
  • The Brits caused around 20 mil Indians to starve to death.
  • The African slave trade was one of the worst atrocities ever committed.
  • Peasant Leopold ki11ed 10 mil and amputated 5 mil Congolese (I might have exaggerated).
I can continue and list the horrors of what the French, Italians and the Portuguese did to the Africans as well. The reason the Europeans were capable of conquering the world was that they were expert ki11ers. They fought against each other so much that they kept getting better in making weaponry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts