Update: The unarmed mentally-ill Somali man who was shot by Peel police has been officially charged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
It happened yesterday.

Ontario’s police watchdog has been called in to investigate a shooting incident in Mississauga.

The Special Investigations Unit says Peel Regional Police officers responded to a call (at Golden Orchard Drive and Grand Forks Road) just after one o’clock this morning.

The SIU says there was an interaction between the officers and a 26-year-old man, and the man was shot.

Investigators say he was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto for treatment of injuries described as not life-threatening.

Three investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to the case.

No other details have been released.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2339318/s...ssauga-shooting-involving-peel-region-police/

Duchess

VIP
"There was an interaction with a male," Const. Thomas Ruttan said, adding the man was "shot by police."

The shooting victim was rushed to a trauma centre in Toronto but Ruttan say his injuries are not considered life-threatening.

Police are releasing few details now that Ontario's Special Investigations Unit has invoked its mandate, so it's unclear exactly what transpired.

But Ruttan did say the shooting unfolded out on the street near Burnhamthorpe Public School.

He also confirmed the service's tactical unit and the explosive disposal unit responded to the scene.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/14/siu-probing-mississauga-shooting

:browtf:

@IntensiveCareUnit this could turn into something huge. According to my sources, the guy is mentally ill and he left his house after midnight for a walk. He was carrying a bag with some food in it. After being gone for half an hour, his brother went looking for him. An hour later, they get a call that he'd been shot by the police.

I

IntensiveCareUnit

@IntensiveCareUnit this could turn into something huge. According to my sources, the guy is mentally ill and he left his house after midnight for a walk. He was carrying a bag with some food in it. After being gone for half an hour, his brother went looking for him. An hour later, they get a call that he'd been shot by the police.
wow, mentally ill guy?! this is really shocking! even if it's not fatal, these cops man...

Duchess

VIP
The province’s police watchdog has designated one Peel Regional Police officer as the subject of its probe into an incident Saturday morning in east Mississauga that sent a man to hospital when he was shot by police.

The Special Investigations Unit, which investigates all cases of serious injury, sexual assault or death involving police, has also designated six Peel officers as witnesses to the incident, spokesperson Jason Gennaro said.

The 26-year-old man shot by police remains in hospital. The SIU has cleared the scene:

Peel Regional Police say they were called to Golden Orchard Drive near Grand Forks Road, in the area of Dixie Road and Bloor Street, just after 1 a.m. Saturday and, after an "interaction," shot the 26-year-old man.

Police sources say they were responding for a suicidal man who claimed to be armed. The force’s bomb squad and tactical unit responded to the scene.

The man was taken to St. Michael's Hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

http://m.insidehalton.com/news-stor...-police-shooting-investigation-in-mississaug/

So they shot an unarmed suicidal man. :kanyehmm:

Nah, police acted accordingly. If a skinnie frim Gunada says he has a gun ain't nobody waiting to see what he got.

#Blacklivesmatter

#QurboSomalisDont

Duchess

VIP
To the idiot who stole my Somalispot exclusive and posted it on somnet, the victim was not attempting 'suicide by cop'. He may have been mentally unstable, but he used to take walks every night and he was unarmed. His family claims they alerted the police after he took longer than he usually did. The police were uncooperative and hostile. They were then contacted hours later and told that the man was in surgery at a hospital in downtown Toronto.

I will track you down soon. :angryman:

Duchess

VIP
The Toronto Sun is now claiming that Hamza was a suspected suicide bomber, even though no weapon or bomb was found.

Hours after the horrific terror attacks in Paris, a stand-off unfolded between police officers and a suspected suicide bomber in a Mississauga neighbourhood, the Toronto Sun has learned.

French officials were still counting their dead when Peel Regional Police officers ended a frightening confrontation by opening fire on the 26-year-old man at Golden Orchard Dr. and Grand Forks Rd. — near Bloor St. and Dixie Rd. — shortly after 2 a.m. Saturday.

In the aftermath of the shooting, police downplayed the incident saying only that the call involved “an emotionally disturbed person.”

But the presence of the service’s Explosive Disposal Unit and heavily armed Tactical officers at the scene suggested a far more serious threat was afoot.

A source, who asked not to be named, revealed to Sun on Monday that the bomb squad responded because the man in question was wearing what appeared to be a suicide vest and holding what looked like a triggering device.

It was not immediately known if the vest actually contained explosives.

But suicide bombers and gunmen killed 129 victims in Paris less than eight hours earlier. So police, who were on heightened alert, took the threat seriously.

Uniformed officers shot the suspected suicide bomber four times, the source said.

Fortunately, the shooting was not followed by an explosion.

The man, whose nationality was not immediately clear, was rushed to the trauma centre at St. Mike’s hospital in Toronto. He is expected to survive.

Another source said investigators have since determined the vest was not real.

Officially, police are not commenting because Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is probing the shooting. The SIU has been tight-lipped about the incident.

“I can tell you that investigators are working to determine the circumstances leading to the shooting as well as particulars of the incident,” SIU spokesman Jason Gennaro said. “At this point, the investigation is ongoing and I’m unable to confirm details or comment further.”

He said the shooting victim remains in hospital.

The SIU, which probes all serious injuries and deaths involving police, has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to the shooting, Gennaro said.

Family told to head to the basement for protection

Isabel Pavao went to bed Friday night with the deadly terror attacks in Paris still fresh in her mind.

But when the Mississauga woman was awakened in the middle of the night by a phone call from Peel Regional Police telling her to take her family to the basement, she never imagined there might be a connection to the horror that transpired 6,000 kilometres away in France.

“The idea of a bomb never crossed my mind,” Pavao told the Toronto Sun Monday.

“It never donned on me that we weren’t safe,” she added. “I just figured as long as we did what we were told that everything would be OK.”

Her phone rang around 1 a.m. Saturday. She answered sleepily and the woman on the other end confirmed her address.

“She told me to get myself and my family down to the basement immediately,” Pavao recalled. “And she said she’d call back when it was safe.”

She and her husband, Vic, woke their two kids, 12 and 15, and brought them downstairs.

Pavao, who assumed cops must be chasing suspects through her neighbourhood, had no idea that a potentially explosive situation was unfolding just steps from her home.

She said police called to give the all clear about 90 minutes later and her family returned to bed.

Pavao woke in the morning to find her street buzzing with police activity.

Only after talking to neighbours did she learn police had shot a man, 26, wearing what was thought to be a suicide vest.

“I didn’t realize it was so close to our home,” she said.

The occupants of at least one other home near the intersection of Golden Orchard Dr. and Grand Forks Rd. were also told to take cover in their basement.

Many area residents slept through the commotion

http://m.torontosun.com/2015/11/16/peel-cops-shoot-suspected-suicide-bomber

A suicide bombing at 1 am on a residential street? :mindblown:

menace

President - Sexaholics Anonymous, Ohio chapter
VIP
The fact that the Peels police department tried to down play the incident to the media should make all of us suspicious. When government authorities do this it is usually in an authoritarian and totalitarian regime but you don't expect this from a great country like Canada.

They wanted to play it down because they attempted to kill a confirmed mentally unstable guy. The police freak out and now are moving In the direction of framing the defenseless man.

GTA media needs to dive into this matter. They need to be the voice of the defenseless against the police's power tripping.

Duchess

VIP
Police have now officially identified the suspect and charged him.

"The man has been charged," Const. Geoorge Tudos said Tuesday.

Police have not confirmed that the man was thought to be a suicide bomber.

But sources tell the Sun the man was wearing what appeared to be a suicide vest and holding what looked like a triggering device.

The threat seemed real enough that the bomb squad was called in and some nearby residents were told to take cover in their basements.

The would-be suicide bomber was shot four times by uniformed officers, according to sources. But he survived.

A Sun source says police later learned the vest did not contain explosives.

Hamza Mohamed Abdi, 26, is charged with possession of a imitation weapon for a dangerous purpose, two counts of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm and fail to comply with a recognizance order.

On Monday Ontario's Special Investigations Unit, which is probing the police-involved shooting, said the accused was still recovering in hospital.

http://m.torontosun.com/2015/11/17/vest-didnt-contain-explosives-peel-cops

Hi Duchess. Sorry to bother. I'm trying to work on a story about this for the Globe and Mail. Any chance we can be in touch? I'm at pwhite@globeandmail.com or 416-809-3766.

Status
Not open for further replies.