Was it ever about rape? Or is there something more sinister?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question.

There was a debate about a month ago about the clear disparity in condemnation and horror espoused when those young, impressionable, naive young Somali boys raped an innocent young woman in Somalia, and rightfully so. The debate was in relation to Somali women being raped by Amisom or like the case in America, by African Americans.

The ratio between the two was quite startling. The story about those Somali boys was met with curses, condemnations, public outrage, calls for the death penalty, castration, sterilisation, the electric chair. You name it.
Widespread disdain for Somali culture and values.

"Our culture is qashin".
"Somalis are rapists"
"Cut off their genitals"
"Our men have shamed us, once more"
These were hashtags in many circles.

Whereas, in the other case study, the rapes of Somali women, by Amisom or African Americans in the Diaspora, received very little condemnation or outrage, amongst mainly Somali females (ofcourse). 70%+ of those who commented, defended African American values, most were passive. Any racial slurs (borne out of anger) by (mainly men) were outrightly penalised.

"African Americans are not all rapists"
"I hate these Somalis. Bloody racists."
"I wouldn't mind getting raped by him anyday."

These were the most typical comments, that received by far the most likes, smilies (by females) etc. The harshest comment was:

"He should serve his time. But remember, everyone makes mistakes".

Having, said that, my question is. Was it ever about rape? Was it?

Jujuman

Accomplished Saaxir
Serious question.

There was a debate about a month ago about the clear disparity in condemnation and horror espoused when those young, impressionable, naive young Somali boys raped an innocent young woman in Somalia, and rightfully so. The debate was in relation to Somali women being raped by Amisom or like the case in America, by African Americans.

The ratio between the two was quite startling. The story about those Somali boys was met with curses, condemnations, public outrage, calls for the death penalty, castration, sterilisation, the electric chair. You name it.

"Our culture is qashin".
"Somalis are rapists"
"Cut off their genitals"

Whereas, in the other case study, the rapes of Somali women, by Amisom or African Americans in the Diaspora, received very little condemnation or outrage, amongst mainly Somali females (ofcourse). 70%+ of those who commented, defended African American values, most were passive. Any racial slurs (borne out of anger) by (mainly men) were outrightly penalised.

These were the most typical comments, that received by far the most likes, smilies (by females) etc. The harshest comment was:

"I wouldn't mind getting raped by him anyday"

:dwill:

You must've made this up.
:bell:

Galaeri

USC | Ururka Bililiqada iyo Kufsiga
Serious question.

"Our culture is qashin".
"Somalis are rapists"
"Cut off their genitals"

Firstly, 50% of your post was pure cancer. I have to point that out before I continue.

The outrage over the gangrape in Somalia came from how shocking it was. The perpetrators stabbed the girl, gangraped her, and then shared it on the internet. The fact that they had spread the tape (or photos?) made it 100x times worse, it's like they believed there was nothing wrong with what they did. They even kept a trophy by taking the photos. The boys also came from influential families so that made it significantly worse.

There is outrage about the other rapes that take place when they reach the news, but they will never be met with as much rage as the gangrape case from a few weeks back simply because they are no were near as shocking as that case.

I agree, there is not enough outrage when the Amisom rape cases, which is strange because Somalis hate them and have historically hated all foreign forces. I think it might be because the people of Southern Somalia (mogadishu principally) are resigned to fate. Perhaps they don't believe things will change. This is my genuine belief.

Firstly, 50% of your post was pure cancer. I have to point that out before I continue.

The outrage over the gangrape in Somalia came from how shocking it was. The perpetrators stabbed the girl, gangraped her, and then shared it on the internet. The fact that they had spread the tape (or photos?) made it 100x times worse, it's like they believed there was nothing wrong with what they did. They even kept a trophy by taking the photos. The boys also came from influential families so that made it significantly worse.

There is outrage about the other rapes that take place when they reach the news, but they will never be met with as much rage as the gangrape case from a few weeks back simply because they are no were near as shocking as that case.

I agree, there is not enough outrage when the Amisom rape cases, which is strange because Somalis hate them and have historically hated all foreign forces. I think it might be because the people of Southern Somalia (mogadishu principally) are resigned to fate. Perhaps they don't believe things will change. This is my genuine belief.

Gang rapes happen on a daily basis in Somalia, by Amisom. I have classified UNHCR documents that detail this, going back to 2016. So, what's the distinction? You've shouted and screamed. But you haven't made clear in concise terms why it's worse. Are you a girl or a boy? So, because they've resigned their will, does that make it less deplorable, as is evident through the general reactions, especially by females?

You seemed to have backtracked towards the end of your message, by actually agreeing with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending