Watching footage of pre-civil war Somalia strikes my heart and brings me to tears!

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
Hello, new member here. I’ll introduce myself as Yasmeen. There is nothing important about me for you to know except that I’ve lurked here for a long time (and I’m talking years btw). I finally feel the urge to contribute to this forum. I’m just here for the lolz and occasional informative posts.

Back to the point of this post though…does anyone else have pangs of anguish and loss strike your heart whenever you come across content of pre-civil war, pre-destabilized Somalia?

This Somali film “Aleel (Sea Shell)/The Conch”, directed and filmed sometime between 1988-1989, captures the beauty of our country before everything went to shit. I know certain folks say times were still hard then but I’d rather deal with the economic issues we had in the past over the pressing security issue that we now suffer from. It all seemed so glorious, so tranquil, so freeing….I can’t imagine what it must have been like to have been part of the generation that got to enjoy our motherland before the war.

The film has been uploaded in the past but it got taken down for whatever reason. It’s now back up for viewing online. Please give it a watch, it’s one of the last pieces of film media that survived after the war. The cinematography is enchanting and the message is highly relevant to today.

We got trapped in the wrong timeline.

Last edited:

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Soo dhawoow qaliyeey ☺️❤️❤️

I too think about how my life would have been different if I had grown up in a country where I was surrounded by people who shared my culture and language. Our motherland history of war and conflict has had a significant impact on my upbringing, both good and bad. It's hard to say exactly how things would have turned out, but I agree with you, I can't help but wonder what it would have been like to live in a more stable and peaceful Somalia.

I appreciate you sharing the rare Somali film from the 1980s. I plan to watch it as soon as possible, God willing 😇

Hello, new member here. I’ll introduce myself as Yasmeen. There is nothing important about me for you to know except that I’ve lurked here for a long time (and I’m talking years btw). I finally feel the urge to contribute to this forum. I’m just here for the lolz and occasional informative posts.

Back to the point of this post though…does anyone else have pangs of anguish and loss strike your heart whenever you come across content of pre-civil war, pre-destabilized Somalia?

This Somali film “Aleel (Sea Shell)/The Conch”, directed and filmed sometime between 1988-1989, captures the beauty of our country before everything went to shit. I know certain folks say times were still hard then but I’d rather deal with the economic issues we had in the past over the pressing security issue that we now suffer from. It all seemed so glorious, so tranquil, so freeing….I can’t imagine what it must have been like to have been part of the generation that got to enjoy our motherland before the war.

The film has been uploaded in the past but it got taken down for whatever reason. It’s now back up for viewing online. Please give it a watch, it’s one of the last pieces of film media that survived after the war. The cinematography is enchanting and the message is highly relevant to today.

Many of us feel the same way, especially as get older. In my head theirs a romanticized version of Somalia before the war, white houses, sandy beaches, and beautiful red flowers.

The film is wonderful and reinforces that believe.

xiin-finiin

general of ciidamada sida raha ubooda

reading books written during that era is even more depressing. i was reading the grade 12 math book, and i legit felt like crying. A whole advanced math book written entirely in somali, and it wasn't just written clumsily with lots of english words. No, someone even took the time to come up with original Somali names for very technical math words (like boolean algebra, proposition, etc). Now let alone entire books being written in somali, idiots back home think its "smart" to speak english no matter how cringy/broken it is. inshalah, things will get better tho

mohammdov

Nabadshe
The situation was not stable in 1989. The country was burning and war was everywhere. Only Mogadishu was good

Based

VIP
IMG_2241.jpeg

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
No use living on the past, what's done is done, only thing we have control over is the present moment, it's up to Somalis whether we want to succeed and rebuild our country or not.

Trending