We need to take mental illness more seriously

Baarisiyomoos

buuq iyo balaayo 🫧
A lot of people with mental illnesses go untreated because a lot of somali families refuse to help them. My friend was extremely depressed and her parents took her to Somalia instead of taking her to a doctor :mjcry: I agree Quran saar is very beneficial but why can't it be combined with therapy? Have any of you had a similar experience? Discuss

pirater

the sea
VIP
Damn that sucks. forced to go to Somalia while battling mental illness Where's your friend. Let me give them a hug
:friendhug::friendhug::friendhug::friendhug::friendhug::friendhug::friendhug::friendhug:

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Quran saar isn't the solution to everything if you break your arm or leg you would go to the nearest hospital for treatment mental illness should be dealt with the same way by seeking treatment somali parents need to understand that its serious

Baarisiyomoos

buuq iyo balaayo 🫧
Quran saar isn't the solution to everything if you break your arm or leg you would go to the nearest hospital for treatment mental illness should be dealt with the same way by seeking treatment somali parents need to understand that its serious
Exactly. Just cause an illness isn't physical doesn't mean it isn't important

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
A lot of people with mental illnesses go untreated because a lot of somali families refuse to help them. My friend was extremely depressed and her parents took her to Somalia instead of taking her to a doctor :mjcry: I agree Quran saar is very beneficial but why can't it be combined with therapy? Have any of you had a similar experience? Discuss

1616416669455.png

Unruly nomads (what Somalis used to be prior to coming to the west and pre-independence) often look down at mental illness as a sort of weakness.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Unruly nomads (what Somalis used to be prior to coming to the west and pre-independence) often look down at mental illness as a sort of weakness.

It was also genuinely less common among them and other such traditional groups due to their more natural life style and less toxic foods, believe it or not. Certain indigenous cultures, especially, Hunter-Gatherer ones genuinely could not grasp the concept of things like depression and schizophrenia and it was not because of ignorance but as physicians who studied them would document; because the rates of these diseases were genuinely near non-existent like with cancers, type-2 diabetes and obesity which are in part linked with the modern world's uptick of mental disorders. So Somali traditional culture in part probably just doesn't even understand how to cope with this stuff given how rare it likely was among nomads and rural farmers.

Trending

Latest posts