What programming language do you know?

So far I know Java and I am intermediate
Other than that I use MS SQL as a database
I am soon gonna learn C#
And then I wanna learn Java script and React native.

I think I wanna be a full stack developer. To be in the process from start to finish.

What y'all working with or know?

I learned C, Java, & Python while in school; also did some microcontroller (FreeRTOS, C, ARM assembly) and FPGA programming (VHDL, C). I learned C++, Golang, JS, NodeJS, React, & Spring Boot outside of school.

I like embedded & systems programming the most and I work with C++ and Python daily.

I make sure to always stay clued in on the future of C#/.NET and C++. As its critical to my work

But I reserve a handful of other languages for just tinkering with, for filling in leaky holes, mundane tasks for friends and family and most importantly my shell language, I have a number of PowerShell's running at any time.

Some time ago I realised there comes a point where you can easily drop and pick up languages as needed by a situation.

This especially true for high level languages that are essentially following after Pythons (3+) expressions syntax, as well as its "battery included" design.

For example, if you know your way around Python, you can also pick up say AutoHotkey after reading its brief introductory page from the its documentation, Concepts and Conventions.

So once you are familiar with AutoHotkey operators then its simply a case of going from Python to AHK syntax:
  • For assignments, my_int = 5 to my_int := 5
  • For comparison, my_int == 5 to my_int = 5
  • For ternary's, new_int = 5 if my_int == 5 else 0 to new_int := my_int = 5 ? 5 : 0
  • For concatenations, my_str = "Hello " + "World" to my_str = "Hello " . "World"

And so on. So in the end, things like data structures, RegEx, design, abstraction, logic etc etc is where its at.

I mean if my RegEx kang fu is weak or non-existent, than that is a large part of my string parsing capabilities culled.

I recently picked up Mel (Maya Embedded Language), which is an old language that is solely used for Autodesk's Maya , so the default UI buttons, command processing etc etc are essentially just executing Mel code.

I picked up an old book, MEL Scripting for Maya Animators (2005) and sure enough it was a smooth transitions, Mel is just a combination of the Unix shell style and expression syntax (its very old).

The following is an example of where I used Mel in VsCode, to create a polygon cube, then select it and smooth it (hence why its rounded)
WRz4Zub.gif

I make sure to always stay clued in on the future of C#/.NET and C++. As its critical to my work

But I reserve a handful of other languages for just tinkering with, for filling in leaky holes, mundane tasks for friends and family and most importantly my shell language, I have a number of PowerShell's running at any time.

Some time ago I realised there comes a point where you can easily drop and pick up languages as needed by a situation.

This especially true for high level languages that are essentially following after Pythons (3+) expressions syntax, as well as its "battery included" design.

For example, if you know your way around Python, you can also pick up say AutoHotkey after reading its brief introductory page from the its documentation, Concepts and Conventions.

So once you are familiar with AutoHotkey operators then its simply a case of going from Python to AHK syntax:
  • For assignments, my_int = 5 to my_int := 5
  • For comparison, my_int == 5 to my_int = 5
  • For ternary's, new_int = 5 if my_int == 5 else 0 to new_int := my_int = 5 ? 5 : 0
  • For concatenations, my_str = "Hello " + "World" to my_str = "Hello " . "World"

And so on. So in the end, things like data structures, RegEx, design, abstraction, logic etc etc is where its at.

I mean if my RegEx kang fu is weak or non-existent, than that is a large part of my string parsing capabilities culled.

I recently picked up Mel (Maya Embedded Language), which is an old language that is solely used for Autodesk's Maya , so the default UI buttons, command processing etc etc are essentially just executing Mel code.

I picked up an old book, MEL Scripting for Maya Animators (2005) and sure enough it was a smooth transitions, Mel is just a combination of the Unix shell style and expression syntax (its very old).

The following is an example of where I used Mel in VsCode, to create a polygon cube, then select it and smooth it (hence why its rounded)
WRz4Zub.gif
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Does matlab count as coding😂?

I would say it is, but its not software engineering though.

However, I think it speaks to your caaano Arab heritage (I still remember that exchange lol)
:mjlol:

which is that they spend gold to get gold, even when a free viable alternative is available in plain English (python), which alot of non-software engineers already use.

@mah14
Sure bro, I will try to write an in depth answer for you around tomorrow, as I have to wrap up here.

Last edited:

HoodHawiye

polygamist
I am soon gonna learn C#

I think I wanna be a full stack developer. To be in the process from start to finish.

Full stack is a meme. Run with C#. Pick up SICP Java edition

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
I am soon gonna learn C#

Mine have all stagnated, I've been away from programming for 5+ years, my first language was c/c++ and c#, learnt Python later, alongside HTML and CSS for web development and mobile programming, nowadays the closest I get to writing anything is small scripts for automating my job as a network engineer

Dooyo

Inaba Caadi Maaha
What is the easiest language to self-teach? Something I could dedicate an hour of learning a day to, that I'd be competent enough in by March to add to my resume.

I only know MATLAB :damn:and even learning that was a struggle.