When a white person questions your Somalinimo...

So I'm probably one of those people what you would call westernized Somalis. I was born and raised in the UK. Lived here all of my life, apart from yearly trips to Hargeisa visiting family and friends (hooyo forced us to go with her) I am firmly British in my identity.

I eat my food with a knife and fork all the time. Even when I visited Hargeisa I INSISTED I was supplied cutlery. I am pro Monarchy, I even know about who was King or Queen in the 1700's and even their year of birth and death during their reign. I love learning about parliamentary history and argue with people all the time on Twitter about UK politics (I've lost count on how many times I've been blocked).

I am so British even when I spilled my tea yesterday by slipping on the floor I yelled "oh dear!"

I love being British and enjoy living in this country. And yet.. for some BIZARRE reason I cannot explain why ONE experience bothers me.

A couple of years ago while I was at University studying, I worked part time at a museum in the catering department. One particular evening, while I was setting up the table, my manager (a white woman) was discussing wanting to learn another language, maybe French or Spanish. So during the conversation (multiple people were involved) she asked me if I spoke another language.
I said not really, apart from knowing basic Somali. Mind you I speak English 90% of the time with my parents.

This WHITE WOMAN... tells me... "oh that's a shame, you can't even speak your mother tongue fluently" erm... okay I thought. None of your business.

Then this b!tch goes further by saying, "oh your parents must be SOOOO disappointed that you dont speak the language well"...

Hoyadaa wass !

For some reason that still irks me. When people question you is one thing, when a cadaan person questions your identity is something else. Cajiib.

Picture of @Febbie making this Thread
_107080148_564fb67e-dbdf-4787-84cd-6f730db095a6 (1).jpg

Radical

Been there, done that
I certainly can't imagine being pro-monarchy, like paying your tax money to fund the Queen's personal bum wipers wasn't enough? Why did you have to turn into one.

So I'm probably one of those people what you would call westernized Somalis. I was born and raised in the UK. Lived here all of my life, apart from yearly trips to Hargeisa visiting family and friends (hooyo forced us to go with her) I am firmly British in my identity.

I eat my food with a knife and fork all the time. Even when I visited Hargeisa I INSISTED I was supplied cutlery. I am pro Monarchy, I even know about who was King or Queen in the 1700's and even their year of birth and death during their reign. I love learning about parliamentary history and argue with people all the time on Twitter about UK politics (I've lost count on how many times I've been blocked).

I am so British even when I spilled my tea yesterday by slipping on the floor I yelled "oh dear!"

I love being British and enjoy living in this country. And yet.. for some BIZARRE reason I cannot explain why ONE experience bothers me.

A couple of years ago while I was at University studying, I worked part time at a museum in the catering department. One particular evening, while I was setting up the table, my manager (a white woman) was discussing wanting to learn another language, maybe French or Spanish. So during the conversation (multiple people were involved) she asked me if I spoke another language.
I said not really, apart from knowing basic Somali. Mind you I speak English 90% of the time with my parents.

This WHITE WOMAN... tells me... "oh that's a shame, you can't even speak your mother tongue fluently" erm... okay I thought. None of your business.

Then this b!tch goes further by saying, "oh your parents must be SOOOO disappointed that you dont speak the language well"...

Hoyadaa wass !

For some reason that still irks me. When people question you is one thing, when a cadaan person questions your identity is something else. Cajiib.

lol the lady asked you a very valid question, why did it bother you so much?

She asked a question, you responded and she replied to you in a truthful and honest way. This is why proper etiquette dictates never conversing with "the help".

I certainly can't imagine being pro-monarchy, like paying your tax money to fund the Queen's personal bum wipers wasn't enough? Why did you have to turn into one.

I'm pro monarchy because it represents constitutional continuity. As long as they do charity work and bring in money via tourism in the old grade listed buildings and stay politically neutral I'm good.

If they go outside their lane. I'm not for that.

Guardafui

Beati Pacifici.
This is the reason why if I have kids inshallah I will make sure they can speak Somali fluently and make sure they learn other important languages like Arabic, French, German and Mandarin to be able to work anywhere in the world or get higher salaries. Your mother tongue is the most important of all.