Why are Somali homes Walled.

Internet Nomad

✪͓̽W͓͓̽̽i͓͓̽̽n͓͓̽̽t͓͓̽̽e͓͓̽̽r͓̽ ͓̽A͓͓̽̽r͓͓̽̽c͓̽✪͓̽
Why do Somali homes being have massive fortified walls all around the house.

understood during the civil war you want to keep your home safe. However i don't understand why in rich neighbourhoods there are still walls being built.

D4D1329B-931E-4C16-8ACA-10524BA5ECF2.jpeg

010D2F9E-4967-42EE-A157-B61A77AFF84A.png

4BEBDD54-9A76-45BF-A035-F7D86C755A11.jpeg

I lived in homes with and without walls and don't feel more or less safe with them. It just feels like a waste of space and only brings a hostile feeling to the area.

The only answer i got is to ward of thieves but is thieves that much of a problem in Somaliland/Somalia

Bille

Sidii roon Raba og

understood during the civil war you want to keep your home safe. However i don't understand why in rich neighbourhoods there are still walls being built.

View attachment 260559
View attachment 260560
View attachment 260561
I lived in homes with and without walls and don't feel more or less safe with them. It just feels like a waste of space and only brings a hostile feeling to the area.

The only answer i got is to ward of thieves but is thieves that much of a problem in Somaliland/Somalia

If I have young children like toddlers then I prefer walls otherwise, just bunch of trees around the house.

Internet Nomad

✪͓̽W͓͓̽̽i͓͓̽̽n͓͓̽̽t͓͓̽̽e͓͓̽̽r͓̽ ͓̽A͓͓̽̽r͓͓̽̽c͓̽✪͓̽
Understanding the Benefits of Walled Homes in Somalia

1. Privacy. One of the primary reasons for having a wall around one's home in Somalia is to ensure privacy. Somalis like to feel comfortable in their own space, and having a wall around their home ensures that they are not disturbed by the noise or activities of their neighbors. This allows them to have a sense of peace and tranquility within their own homes.

2. Unregulated speeds in the streets.

Another reason why homes in Somalia are walled is due to the lack of regulation of vehicle speed in the country. Cars can go at any speed, and this can be dangerous for families who may be sunbathing or watching TV in their living rooms. Having a wall around the home provides protection from the risk of being hit by a speeding car.

3. Children safety: Thirdly, children in Somalia are often given more freedom and independence than in some other countries. While this can be a positive thing, it also means that parents need to be vigilant about their children's safety when they are playing outside. Having a wall around the home can provide a safe and secure space for children to play without fear of danger from strangers or vehicles passing by on the street.

4. Incompetent Police and chaos streets:

Furthermore, the streets in Somalia can be dangerous, and having a wall around one's home provides protection from potential threats. This can include everything from stray animals to violent criminals. The wall acts as a barrier to prevent these dangers from entering the home, providing a sense of security for the family inside.

4. Preventative measures

Another benefit of having a walled home in Somalia is that it provides protection from thieves. The wall prevents people from seeing inside the home, making it less likely that someone will attempt to break in and steal valuable possessions. This is especially important in a country where police may not be present, and there is a risk of crime and theft occurring.

6. unregulated Weapons, Careless armed groups and stray bullets.

Finally, having a wall around one's home can protect against stray bullets from unregulated guns. Somalia has a high number of unregulated guns, and it is not uncommon for stray bullets to hit innocent people on the streets or in their homes. A wall can slow down or even completely stop stray bullets, providing an extra layer of protection for the family inside.

In conclusion, the reasons why homes in Somalia are walled are many and varied. From privacy concerns to safety issues, a wall provides a sense of security and protection for families living in a potentially dangerous environment. While it may not be the ideal situation for everyone, for Somalis, a walled home is often the best choice for ensuring the safety and security of their loved ones.

Last edited:
Understanding the Benefits of Walled Homes in Somalia

1. Privacy. One of the primary reasons for having a wall around one's home in Somalia is to ensure privacy. Somalis like to feel comfortable in their own space, and having a wall around their home ensures that they are not disturbed by the noise or activities of their neighbors. This allows them to have a sense of peace and tranquility within their own homes.

2. Unregulated speeds in the streets.

Another reason why homes in Somalia are walled is due to the lack of regulation of vehicle speed in the country. Cars can go at any speed, and this can be dangerous for families who may be sunbathing or watching TV in their living rooms. Having a wall around the home provides protection from the risk of being hit by a speeding car.

3. Children safety: Thirdly, children in Somalia are often given more freedom and independence than in some other countries. While this can be a positive thing, it also means that parents need to be vigilant about their children's safety when they are playing outside. Having a wall around the home can provide a safe and secure space for children to play without fear of danger from strangers or vehicles passing by on the street.

4. Incompetent Police and chaos streets:

Furthermore, the streets in Somalia can be dangerous, and having a wall around one's home provides protection from potential threats. This can include everything from stray animals to violent criminals. The wall acts as a barrier to prevent these dangers from entering the home, providing a sense of security for the family inside.

4. Preventative measures

Another benefit of having a walled home in Somalia is that it provides protection from thieves. The wall prevents people from seeing inside the home, making it less likely that someone will attempt to break in and steal valuable possessions. This is especially important in a country where police may not be present, and there is a risk of crime and theft occurring.

6. unregulated Weapons, Careless armed groups and stray bullets.

Finally, having a wall around one's home can protect against stray bullets from unregulated guns. Somalia has a high number of unregulated guns, and it is not uncommon for stray bullets to hit innocent people on the streets or in their homes. A wall can slow down or even completely stop stray bullets, providing an extra layer of protection for the family inside.

In conclusion, the reasons why homes in Somalia are walled are many and varied. From privacy concerns to safety issues, a wall provides a sense of security and protection for families living in a potentially dangerous environment. While it may not be the ideal situation for everyone, for Somalis, a walled home is often the best choice for ensuring the safety and security of their loved ones.

Don’t use chatgpt. 90% of that is fake.

View attachment 260559
View attachment 260560
View attachment 260561

Because traditionally the Somali aqal was surrounded by a fence, it’s skeuomorphic.

AbdiFreedom

Exited the Somali ethnic group. Retired
Staff Member
I heard it's because people will encroach on your land if you don't gate it. The gates are sometimes constructed before the house is. I had to do it with my bloordh and it's still empty.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
The walls make sense but the size of the lot do not. Somalia is a huge country that is unbuilt, these small properties are an eyesore without gardens. I don't blame the developers, land speculation is one of the main reasons there is not serious development and is driving up prices. They want to make as much profit as possible.

ZBR

سبحان اللهِ وبحمدِه Free Palestine
Bro don’t you want your wife and your mother to get fresh air in privacy

Do you know how many tuugo there are that try to climb over those walls??? The higher the better. I’ve heard many stories from relatives.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
The real Question is WHY IS THERE NOT A TREE IN SOMALIA???? DUSTY, DESERT & DRY!!!!!!

Trending