Why does Somalia not contain any rainforest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyche

To each their own
Somalia is an equatorial country, so why does it not contain a lush rainforest?

For those who don't know an equatorial country tends to have high temperature, humidity and rainfall. That's why most rainforest are in South America, Africa and South East Asia.

So why is it that East Africa lacks is pretty much the only region lack this attribute

Rfmap.GIF

Tukraq

VIP
Somalia is an equatorial country, so why does it not contain a lush rainforest?

For those who don't know an equatorial country tends to have high temperature, humidity and rainfall. That's why most rainforest are in South America, Africa and South East Asia.

So why is it that East Africa lacks is pretty much the only region lack this attribute

Rfmap.GIF
Grazing our livestock:manny: hunter gatherers
Allow their ecosystem to grow naturally once you have grazing you lose that, heck even the Europe’s and North America were Forrest’s now if you go to say London it’s an urban concrete dessert, you either need a uninhabitated land by humans or a more primitive hunter gatherer population that don’t do agriculture or have domesticated animals

psyche

To each their own
Grazing our livestock:manny: hunter gatherers
Allow their ecosystem to grow naturally once you have grazing you lose that, heck even the Europe’s and North America were Forrest’s now if you go to say London it’s an urban concrete dessert, you either need a uninhabitated land by humans or a more primitive hunter gatherer population that don’t do agriculture or have domesticated animals

Gazing only has impact on grasslands. Somalia being on the equator should logically have dense, tall rainforest from millions of years ago, which it lacks cause of rainfall. So I think it has little to do with humans interact and more to do with the Earth

psyche

To each their own
Its effected by the same process of desertification as the sahara and arabia region.

But what is causing this desertification in Somalia? Is it the Sahara's influence on our ecosystem, the lack of rainfall in the countries or is it another issue altogether?

Tukraq

VIP
Gazing only has impact on grasslands. Somalia being on the equator should logically have dense, tall rainforest from millions of years ago, which it lacks cause of rainfall. So I think it has little to do with humans interact and more to do with the Earth
Sahib did you not read all I said only primitive cultures still have trees most cut that shit down centuries ago

Somalia is close to arabia, its mostly arid land. The Ethiopian highlands also create a shadow rain effect, thus Somalia is the only arid country in the equator.

psyche

To each their own
Sahib did you not read all I said only primitive cultures still have trees most cut that shit down centuries ago

Somalia has been a desert ridden country before the the arrival of humans so that is physically impossible. Also a woodland is different to a rainforest. Rainforest are much more dangerous thus why they are still present today. On the other hand, woodland are much safer and thus was destoryed when humans arrived.

Apollo

VIP
Western Kenya has high mountains.

As for Somalia, it is located and the leeward side of the Ethiopian highlands.

3Fk9Cyvwc6nT2.gif

Topographic-elevation-map-m-of-East-Africa-The-insert-shows-the-topographic-elevation.png

psyche

To each their own
Western Kenya has high mountains.

As for Somalia, it is located and the leeward side of the Ethiopian highlands.

3Fk9Cyvwc6nT2.gif

Topographic-elevation-map-m-of-East-Africa-The-insert-shows-the-topographic-elevation.png

So what this diagram is demonstrating that it is due to our shitty position between two highland countries.

So I guess we are an arid countries because of our shitty location.

Apollo

VIP
So what this diagram is demonstrating that it is due to our shitty position between two highland countries.

So I guess we are an arid countries because of our shitty location.

Plus some winds from Arabia making the northern part of Somalia extra dry & overgrazing (too many nomads).

If China can grow trees in the ghobi desert then we can make our semi arid land green again. Semi arid means that the water is running off due to over grazing. Once we stop over grazing and tend to the soil it will absorb water and fill up aquifers. Once the aquifers are filled then the land will start to recover and we can plant more trees. Trees help to increase rainfall since they play an important part in the evapotranspiration process.

Also @Apollo your diagram is confusing. It shows th rain shadow forming on the ocean side, yet Somalia has the longest coast line. Shouldn't that mean the rain shadow should appear on our side and not reach Ethiopia.?

Plus some winds from Arabia making the northern part of Somalia extra dry & overgrazing (too many nomads).
This man re-greened a arid desert land in Texas. If he can restore neglected arid land and make it green again then we also can do th same.

Apollo

VIP
Also @Apollo your diagram is confusing. It shows th rain shadow forming on the ocean side, yet Somalia has the longest coast line. Shouldn't that mean the rain shadow should appear on our side and not reach Ethiopia.?

It blocks the rain from West-Central Africa from reaching Somalia. The wind patterns are mostly that way.

It blocks the rain from West-Central Africa from reaching Somalia. The wind patterns are mostly that way.
True but planting trees can also encourage rainfall and like I said if we restore more of our soil to absorb water then we will have more filled up aquifers and the rain water will not just run off into the Indian Ocean. We waste so much water that runs off every year into the Indian Ocean. We also can make the nugaal river permanent so the north can have a constant source of freshwater for agriculture.

I would agree but we have the highest wind incidence on the continent. I still think it's got more to do with the fact that 905 of our lands have no trees. Even the mountains have not that many tall trees.

Besides some scientists predict that climate change will make eats africa wetter. Why is that i wonder? clearly there are more contributing factors to rainfall than we think.

https://www.climatechangenews.com/2017/07/13/scientists-say-east-africa-will-get-wetter-drying/

Status
Not open for further replies.