Why is the Somali birth rate so low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total fertility rate of Somalis in Ethiopia according to the official 2007 census, its the lowest out of all the regions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi ... n_Ethiopia

Rural regions:

Amhara: 4.54
Harari: 4.75
Tigray: 4.9
Oromo: 5.235

Somali: 1.985

:faysalwtf:

If you look at those stats you'll find that the Urban fertility rate of Somalis is practically the same as the UFR of Oromos and Amhara. The huge difference comes from the Rural fertility rate, Oromos and Amharas having an average of between 4-5 children while Somalis only have an average of under 2 children. It makes sense since rural Oromo and Amhara live on the most fertile territories of Ethiopia, while Somalis live in the desert and arid landscapes.

Why have 4 kids when you can only afford to feed 1?:manny:

Apollo

VIP
If you look at those stats you'll find that the Urban fertility rate of Somalis is practically the same as the UFR of Oromos and Amhara. The huge difference comes from the Rural fertility rate, Oromos and Amharas having an average of between 4-5 children while Somalis only have an average of under 2 children. It makes sense since rural Oromo and Amhara live on the most fertile territories of Ethiopia, while Somalis live in the desert and arid landscapes.

Climate of the Ogaden is not much different from Somalia, yet there the recorded fertility rate according to NGOs is like 5.

What's up with that?

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
If you look at those stats you'll find that the Urban fertility rate of Somalis is practically the same as the UFR of Oromos and Amhara. The huge difference comes from the Rural fertility rate, Oromos and Amharas having an average of between 4-5 children while Somalis only have and average like of under 2 children. It makes sense since rural Oromo and Amhara live on the most fertile territories of Ethiopia, while Somalis live in the desert and arid landscapes.

Both Shabelle and Jubba river passes through the Somali region, what do you mean desert and arid landscapes? :what:

So why don't they settle there and become farmers? It's mostly empty for goodness sake! Our region is far more fertile than the Oromos/Amharas. The highlands are not that suitable for farming.

Fertility rate is only concerning how many children women have. Not if they survive or not.

The Afar number is also very low at 2. I think it may have something to do with nomad lifestyle.
The Geeljire lifestyle definitely plays a big part. We may have a lot of land, but most if it ain't premium. However, the highlanders/Habesha & Oromos have fertile lands.

Climate of the Ogaden is not much different from Somalia, yet there the recorded fertility rate according to NGOs is like 5.

What's up with that?

I may be wrong as I don't know much about southern Somalia, but I'm willing to bet Somalia's stats (if we can even rely on them) is heavily schewed by the higher birthrates in more fertile regions like Awdal and Jubba/Shabelle valleys. I know for a fact that agricultural western Somaliland towns like Gabiley have higher populations than supposedly big towns eastern Sanaag and Sool.

Apollo

VIP
I may be wrong as I don't know much about southern Somalia, but I'm willing to bet Somalia's stats (if we can even rely on them) is heavily schewed by the higher birthrates in more fertile regions like Awdal and Jubba/Shabelle valleys. I know for a fact that agricultural western Somaliland towns like Gabiley have higher populations than supposedly big towns eastern Sanaag and Sool.

Anecdotal evidence, but most of the families I saw there had 6 to 7 children. In urban areas. Something's up.

You could fit the entire Somali population on earth in the shabelle/jubba regions alone. Remember this ethnic group conquered the most land of any ethnic group in Africa with less than 2.5 million of it's population more than a century ago. Raxanweyne are giving birth on a higher rate than any other somalis clans, Beesha Madowweyne too.

Apollo

VIP
You could fit the entire Somali population on earth in the shabelle/jubba regions alone. Remember this ethnic group conquered the most land of any ethnic group in Africa with less than 2.5 million of it's population more than a century ago. Raxanweyne are giving birth on a higher rate than any other somalis clans, Beesha Madowweyne too.

a is doomed. Might as well just ask to be annexed by Kenya. Demographics not too different, LOL.

If our ancestors expanded all the way to Uganda, we would've been in a much better position. Most of the land that our ancestors conquered wasn't premium, apart from the Jubba/Shebelle valley.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
a is doomed. Might as well just ask to be annexed by Kenya. Demographics not too different, LOL.
"Strength in numbers" doesn't always apply sxb :manny:
If we managed to survive being surrounded by gaalo on all sides for hundreds of years AND manage to gain land through expansion, while the Bantu expansion was happening at the same time, we can survive this :pachah1:
They never spread as high up as Somalia for a reason :kodaksmiley: and they will never take our land

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
I feel sorry for k5 Somalis wallahi.

A lot of their land was given to the Oromo region, and soon the Oromos/Habeshas will be settling down in Somali Galbeed due to their booming population. Their oil is currently being stolen without any investments or shares, and soon their farming land will be stolen.

The farming land of Somali galbeed and the low lands are far more fertile than the high lands. :snoop:

It's over for us if we don't fix up wallahi. The villagization policy is already in motion, where they will be settling down the nomads and given them some land in exchange for their xoolo. We need to wake up.

"Officials from the mines ministry say the Calub and Hilala fields in the Ogaden Basin have deposits of 4.7 trillion cubic feet of gas and 13.6 million barrels of associated liquids, both discovered in the 1970s but not yet exploited."

Status
Not open for further replies.