Will the nomadic spirit die in western Somalis? Or will it live on?

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
I can look to other communities and gather what their community’s overall nature is like. When I look at ours, however, I feel biased by my own experiences because I was socialized in a Somali household within the western world. I can’t articulate how I would describe our nature without coming across as biased and solipsistic.

Three things I narrowed it down to:
Prideful
Congenial (but only to people we like?)
Adaptable

Do you reckon aspects of our nature will likely disappear as we further become westernized? I know I’m gaal but I feel off about this. I feel like we can balance both our culture and western culture and optimize them so we can be the best. I like that we can adapt to different environments.

How would you describe our nature?

Last edited:

xiin-finiin

general of ciidamada sida raha ubooda
first, say bye to pride. There are somalis that have trouble believing there was once a time where somalia had empires/sultanates that traded with the world. Over time this problem will get worse and worse till somalis completely assimilate since they think they have no culture/history to begin with. So let alone aspects of our nature, i think the whole of somalinimo in the west will dissapear within 80-100 years if somalia doesnt get its act together

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
first, say bye to pride. There are somalis that have trouble believing there was once a time where somalia had empires/sultanates that traded with the world. Over time this problem will get worse and worse till somalis completely assimilate since they think they have no culture/history to begin with. So let alone aspects of our nature, i think the whole of somalinimo in the west will dissapear within 80-100 years if somalia doesnt get its act together

Unlike other cultures, our diaspora don’t have an easy way to learn about their culture and history. Their parents teach them the superficial top layer of Somali culture but not the real heart of it. I mean how many diaspora kids do you know that can translate and understand the meaning to our gabays and poems? Never mind a folk song?

I believe investing into our arts, history, archaeology would really help our diaspora hold on to our roots.

I don’t like the pessimism around here.

It's pretty much dead in many of the younger generations. That old Somali character, of resilience pride, and never backing down or feeling anyone is above you is gone.

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
It's pretty much dead in many of the younger generations. That old Somali character, of resilience pride, and never backing down or feeling anyone is above you is gone.

How can you say it’s gone when some of us still care to preserve it?

I want to fight the good fight.

Many other cultures re-connected with their roots and put in a ton of time, money, and energy to materialize a clear image to their roots. Then they taught it to their people. This is the foundation to their identities.

Think of our culture and history like a cloudy lake with a bunch of algae on the surface blurring us from seeing through to the lake’s floor. We simply need to clear the way so we can see through the glistening waters.

Would you rather us do nothing?

I don’t get some of you lol.

How can you say it’s gone when some of us still care to preserve it?

I want to fight the good fight.

Many other cultures re-connected with their roots and put in a ton of time, money, and energy to materialize a clear image to their roots. Then they taught it to their people. This is the foundation to their identities.

Think of our culture and history like a cloudy lake with a bunch of algae on the surface blurring us from seeing through to the lake’s floor. We simply need to clear the way so we can see through the glistening waters.

Would you rather us do nothing?

I don’t get some of you lol.

No doubt theirs many that care, but still many of the younger generations are losing that Somali spirit, they became soft, and some even didn't like to admit they were Somali.

You can put your degree to good use, by writing our history and knowledge.

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
No doubt theirs many that care, but still many of the younger generations are losing that Somali spirit, they became soft, and some even didn't like to admit they were Somali.
Because what is the Somali identity in 2023?

The assimilated ones fall into three groups:

Obsessed with western (cadaan/madow) culture.

Those who think our identity begins and ends at being muslim and nothing else matters (I get the significance of Islam in our culture/history but this doesn’t help our kids feel secure in our identity if you don’t emphasize the dhaqan.)

Both these groups have challenges identifying with the Somali identity.

Then there’s the assimilated ones obsessed with Somalinimo. I have faith in this group.
You can put your degree to good use, by writing our history and knowledge.

My degree will be used for my community as I mentioned before but it’s unrelated to these subjects. I wish I majored in those though. Ultimately I decided to go with my biggest priority.

I aim on buying Somali art/artifacts and scouring the net/libraries for any information on our past.

I want to donate what I buy to Somali cultural centers and academics to study.

It’s not much but it’s something at least.

xiin-finiin

general of ciidamada sida raha ubooda
scouring the net/libraries for any information on our past.
Was thinking about doing the same. But i have close to zero knowledge of our history and was worried about finding trustworthy sources. Lmk what you find

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
Was thinking about doing the same. But i have close to zero knowledge of our history and was worried about finding trustworthy sources. Lmk what you find

Be wary of fully believing the words of western sources. Especially the sources from the 1800s-1900s. A lot of what was written about us was permeated with exoticism or outright race realism.

It’s hard to find unbiased, professional accounts. Look into the author’s background before reading something and try to be mindful. I prefer Middle eastern sources but that’s just me.

I understand the complexities behind our oral culture
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

GemState

36/21
VIP
Pastoralism isn't this noble occupation, that's just how people in a Malthusian hellhole make a living. I eagerly await the death of nomadism

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
Pastoralism isn't this noble occupation, that's just how they make a living.

Bullshit. There are admirable nomadic societies all over the world that are notable for their pride, strength, and unwavering spirit.

Our mode of production shaped our culture, spirit, and nature. That is a source of pride for me.

There’s a reason pastoralists have the largest amount of land in proportion to their ethnic groups when you compare them to other societies with different modes of production.

I honestly believe that we’re in the wrong timeline because there’s no way we should be in this position given everything we know. I think it’s due to many factors outside our control (being a playground for the Cold War is one such example.)

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
Pastoralism isn't this noble occupation, that's just how people in a Malthusian hellhole make a living. I eagerly await the death of nomadism

And I’m not saying we should continue being pastoralists in this age.

In the modern age we should move past it and adapt but it’s hard when you take into account the current state of our country. It’s hardly in our control.

But our mode of production isn’t a source of shame for me. It’s the reason we fought off outsiders without fear.

When the colonizers were dividing Africa in their scramble for Africa, they created a map highlighting we were difficult to overcome and conquer. I will post it here.

Last edited:

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
5EB4BA98-13A3-45BA-8092-F75EB37E5FD3.jpeg

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
i am still stubborn, hardheaded and prideful as ever despite being born in the west. it’s here to stay

Same! I note that our archetypes are seen as peculiar but I don’t see what’s odd about it. Lmao.

I was influenced by my parents even here in the west. Isn’t that natural?

Last edited:

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
I can look to other communities and gather what their community’s overall nature is like. When I look at ours, however, I feel biased by my own experiences because I was socialized in a Somali household within the western world. I can’t articulate how I would describe our nature without coming across as biased and solipsistic.

Three things I narrowed it down to:
Prideful
Congenial (but only to people we like?)
Adaptable

Do you reckon aspects of our nature will likely disappear as we further become westernized? I know I’m gaal but I feel off about this. I feel like we can balance both our culture and western culture and optimize them so we can be the best. I like that we can adapt to different environments.

How would you describe our nature?
Spongebob Squarepants Reaction GIF by Cartuna